Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    likes to move it, move it riongardner's Avatar
    riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up Starting my body Transformation, PT .1 - Weight Loss

What's going on guys? My name is Rion Gardner and I am 24 years old. I am about 5 foot 10, and overweight. I have a very large frame, to give you an idea, my senior year during the football season I weighed about 206 pounds, with what I would consider a fairly low body fat percentage. 6 years removed from that, I started my transformation at 242 pounds last week, which is just simply embarrasing to post. Basically, I am not just looking to lose fat, I am looking to gain some muscle, and to look even better than I did when I graduated. So I figure, the first thing I need to do is lose some weight, so thats what I am focusing on at this point.

I was a little skepitcal about posting this topic in the progress picture or transformation forum, so I am glad I have found this forum, because for right now, I need to get into shape before I am in the same thread as guys getting straight ripped.

So anyways, I guess I will track my progress here as well as my body blog and youtube channel. This is mainly for my own personal motivation. Simply stated, if I know I have to come here and update my progress, I know that I will keep up the hard work.

So anyways, here goes:

Start - 241.4 pounds
    Up to this point my diet has consisted of basically whatever I wanted. Hot wings, pizza, beer, and chinese buffet.... all the stuff that makes you fat fast. In addition to this, no exercise really. With the exception of the occasional flag football game, the most exercise I got was my thumbs on the xbox 360 joystick playing gears or cod.

Week 1: 235.2 (-6.2 for the week, -6.2 total)
    In week one I didn't eat extremely healthy but did keep my caloric intake below 1800 calories a day. I ate things like frozen meals, and cereal. I am moving to heathly things, but I am making it a slow transition, starting with things my body is used to at small amounts, moving into healthier things as I progress. I tend to have major stomach issues when I change my diet. lol. I also lifted high reps, high sets ( 4 sets of 10 ) with lighter weight to get myself back in to groove, and help with cardio. I did back, biceps - chest, triceps - shoulders, abs. On monday I did legs. For cardio, I am walking,jogging, using the elliptical, and stair machine. I usually try to hit 300 calories on one machine and 200 on another. I am not sure how accuate the calorie counter is on the machines, but I use it as a progress indicator anyway.

I will update weekly with new photos and videos on my bodyspace.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to changing my life!

P.S. - The profile pic is not from my senior year in highschool. Its from a alumni game a year or so ago.

mr_fastlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good luck man!

riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50) riongardner will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mr_fastlife View Post
    Good luck man!
    Thanks, I appreciate it.
    Those who are lifting the world upward and onward are those who encourage more than criticize.

Week 2: 233.8 (-1.4 for the week, -7.6 total)
    Well this week I did not see the dramatic drop in weight like I did in the first. I really did not expect that to happen though, I chalk a lot of week one up to water weight and things of that sort. I did lose 1.4 pounds, and considering how I was able to eat while still consuming protein shakes, I feel okay about the 1.4 pounds. After starting Kris Gethin's 12 week transformation routine, I have a new perspective on what I am trying to achieve. By changing my diet in order to gain muscle, I can expect weight loss to slow rapidly. If I wasn't 40 pounds over weight, I'd prolly be struggling not to gain weight. I really liked the new routine and I was able to take each set to complete failure because I have gained a new workout partner. It's a little embarrasing because my partner is about 160 and has a stronger upper body than I do. However, I rep about 200 more pounds on the leg press than him, so I guess its good motivation for both of us. Anyways, I am still going strong and looking forward to more workout domination!
    Those who are lifting the world upward and onward are those who encourage more than criticize.

canigetswole is on a distinguished road. (+10) canigetswole is on a distinguished road. (+10) canigetswole is on a distinguished road. (+10) canigetswole is on a distinguished road. (+10) canigetswole is on a distinguished road. (+10) canigetswole is on a distinguished road. (+10) canigetswole is on a distinguished road. (+10) canigetswole is on a distinguished road. (+10) canigetswole is on a distinguished road. (+10) canigetswole is on a distinguished road. (+10) canigetswole is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    hey mate thought i will come and join this, hopefully you do well, thanks for subbing to mine hope we both reach our goals

I had to laugh when you mentioned chinese buffet, hahaha man did i used to do some damage there 5+ plate fulls of just crap

Originally Posted by canigetswole View Post
    hey mate thought i will come and join this, hopefully you do well, thanks for subbing to mine hope we both reach our goals

I had to laugh when you mentioned chinese buffet, hahaha man did i used to do some damage there 5+ plate fulls of just crap
    haha yeah, oh so good, yet oh so bad. Thanks for stopping by.

fazo123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good luck dude.

Originally Posted by fazo123 View Post
    Good luck dude.
    Thanks

Some Progress Pics 11/28/2011

Well, Nevermind I just realized I cant post progress pics them. They are in my bodyspace and side by side shots are in my videos. I'll do an update tommorrow morning.

Week 3: 232.6(-1.2 for the week, -8.8 total)
    Well, week 3 is in the books and I have to say I feel pretty good about it. This week was Thanksgiving plus I also went to a Wedding. I really thought there would be a good chance I may actually gain some weight this week. Not to mention I am drinking protein shakes constantly and trying to keep my caloric intake as close to 2600 as possible. The biggest issue for me right now is just trying to lose weight and gain muscle, it seems to be such a conflicting goal, but I do feel I am making small amounts of progress each week. I did want to take an opportunity to show some of my diet in this post, to see if I could get some feedback.

I have rough estimates for most everything below. Not taking into account muscle mass and things like that. These are just measuring sticks more than anything.

For a person that weighs 200 pounds at 5'9'', they would need approximately 2800 calories with heavy amounts of exercise to maintain their weight. For me, at 235, I would need about 3200 calories at the same level to maintain. Right now, I am shooting for about 2600 calories per day, my goal being to lead to weight loss at the end of the week, yet maybe have the opportunity to gain some muscle. This will get much more difficult the more weight I lose.

So a basic daily diet for me at this point is separated into two categories:
    - Days I lift
    - Days I dont

I do some type of 30 - 45 minute cardio everyday.

On days I lift:
    - Black coffee in the morning with oatmeal and fruit or granola bar ( ~ 400 calories, 4-5 grams of protein )
    - I usually eat a fiber one bar between lunch and breakfast ( ~ 140 calories, 2 grams protein)
    - At lunch, I try to eat around 1000 calories. Typically my lunch is some sort of meat with high protein content. Yesterday I had 2 chicken club tacos with a small amount of rice and a side of beans. (~800 caloris)
    - After lunch I usually get a protein shake from smoothie king called the Gladiator ( 180 calories, 45 grams of protein )
    - When I get home from work, before I work I will eat something like a bowl of wheaties with skim milk. ( 200 calories, 6 grams protein )
    - Then I rest for a bit, drink some creatine, and go work out.
    - When I get home, I drink a homemade protein shake. (200 calories, 52 grams protein)
    - Then I finish the night off with something that will take me up to 2600 calories, depending on what I have eaten that day. Sometimes its a steak with broccoli, sometimes it 2 morningstar griller sandwhiches. (x calories, x grams of protein)

On days I don't lift:
    I simply cut out the smoothie king protein shake, the bowl of cereal, and the creatine. But I tend to eat bigger suppers on these days, like steak or chicken breast.

It is worth noting that I also drink about 60 oz of water a day.

Right now we are in week 2 of Kris Gethin's Transformation. For cardio, I tend to mix it up. I have been on the stair stepper a ton lately, but I rotate between the elliptical, the treadmill, the bike, and playing racquetball.

Looking forward to week 4!
    Last edited by riongardner; 11-29-2011 at 05:32 AM.

3 week update pics ( now that I have 50 posts lol )

I dont think I was fully flexing in the before pic of my back. Not sure why.

Man Im confused

So before I post my next update and videos... I need HELP! I am feeling a little confused at this point.

Look at this Chart:

So Im assuming my lean body weight is probably 190. That means I should eat about 3885 calories per day in order to gain muscle. Considering I am trying to lose weight above gaining muscle, I have stuck religiously to a 2500 calories a day diet. Does this big difference between what I am eating and what I should be eating to gain, mean that I may in fact gain nothing from lifting, or possibly lose? I have read all over the forum, and I have gotten to the point where I believe I may doing the wrong thing, or it may be impossible to lose weight the way I am wanting and still gain some muscle...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Week 4: 230.4(-2.2 for the week, -11.0 total)
    Well, 1 month of working out and I have dropped eleven pounds! Not too bad, Im pretty proud of that. Honestly, I probably could have dropped more had I not been trying to eat to gain some muscle also. Still not seeing much of a visible difference in terms of how I look, but I know that it takes longer than a month. I usually can tell when I start looking better because I will get lots of "You have lost some weight" comments. I have only gotten one or two of those at this point, so I am looking forward to shredding some more pounds. Positive feedback goes along way for me, and so does the scale. Its nice to see consistent losses each week, and it is definitely motivating.

Upped my protein to 150 grams a day. Got a new preworkout called Blitz from Complete Nutrition, along with some green t extract. Feeling great. Maxed out on deadlift, bench press, 40 time, and vertical jump for a friendly lifting/weight loss competition for work. Competiton ends on April First. Stats as of December 09:

- 18 inch vertical (hahah)
    - 425 deadlift
    - 225 Bench Press
    - 5.8 40

wow, I highscool my vertical was 26, my deadlift was 505, my bench was 285, and I ran 4.7 (prolly a 5.1 nfl 40).... Being 25 and these new stats gives me a whole new respect for the NFL.

It should be noted that the above before/after pics are now at 5 weeks. I uploaded them to my server and overwrote the old ones. If you want to get back to the old ones, you can goto my bodyspace. Uploading a new vid right now.

CRAZY leg workout in week 4 of Kris Gethin's Transformation. The first set is leg extensions to 100 reps, drop setting. My legs and my partners felt like they were burning from the inside, so sore today!

Okay so one thing I havent mentioned yet is my struggles with my pre-workout. I am taking Blitz from General Nutrition. I feel so amped when I am at the weightroom or even when I am doing cardio, but its costing me mega sleep! I take this about 5:30 and workout about 6. I still cannot seem to sleep by midnight. I really dont want to take melatonin or anything to help me sleep so I think I may cut my scoop in half for the time being.

Week 5: 227.8(-2.6 for the week, -13.7 total)
    Another solid week of working out. Me and my partner are really doing everything we can to dominate. We recently entered into a fitness/weight loss competition with some other guys we work with. The competition will consist of:
    - Deadlift (current max 425)
    - Bench Press (current max 225)
    - Vertical (currently 18)
    - 40 Time (currently 5.8)

The competition is based off gains. I.e. If I gain 25 pounds on bench, thats 25 points. 10 points for each second off my 40 and 10 points for each inch on my vertical. Then a point per pound that I lose, we do not lose points if you gain weight.

Entering this competition has forced us to refocus our workout routine to something a little more strength based. We liked this one because it has a specific day for deadlift: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/wor...ing-split.html

Anyways, looking forward to continued gains! Thanks for stopping by.
    Last edited by riongardner; 12-13-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Week 6: 228.6(+.8 for the week, -12.9 total)
    POWER SETS - 3 SETS OF 5
    Deadlift 365x5, 365x4, 365x3
    Bench 185x5, 205x3, 215x2
    Squat 315x5, 315x5, 315x5

Well, as you can see I definitely gained some weight this week. I did do my cardio everyday, so its a little disappointing. Honestly, I think I am having issues with my scale. I weighed at three different points yesterday, getting a different reading everytime. At any rate, I dont feel bad about this week at all. I killed the weight room on our new routine and I am pain from the soreness.. I love it! The hardest workout was the Quads and calves day because when we were done we did so some jumping to help with our vertical. My protein intake for the week was well over 1100 grams! I did have a couple of days in there where I ate some things I probably shouldnt have, but I didnt go over my calorie limit for the day.

Looking forward to next week. Thanks for stopping by.

Here is a copy of competition score sheet:
    http://www.triple-kill.com/LiftingCompetition.pdf

Metspride129 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Metspride129 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Metspride129 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Metspride129 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Metspride129 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Metspride129 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Metspride129 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Metspride129 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Metspride129 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Metspride129 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Metspride129 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    good job on the progress so far man! 2 pounds a week isnt too shabby, congrats
    White Blood 2.0 Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141970231 COMPLETED
    PROnom 23 Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149041523 COMPLETED

The push to "one"derland
    Jan 1: 257 | Jan 8: 252 | Jan 15: 251.4

Originally Posted by Metspride129 View Post
    good job on the progress so far man! 2 pounds a week isnt too shabby, congrats

naw its not too bad I guess. The line between getting stronger and losing weight is what is making it difficult. In Jan. 2010 to June 2010, I lost about 36 pounds for my wedding. But I basically starved myself and ran, ran, ran, ran.. no lifting. Then I put all the weight back on in about 2 months after getting married.

So this time I am taking a whole different approach. The gaining muscle/strength part of this has become my new addiction. Im obsessed with working my ass off lifting weights.. I look forward to lifting at this point. The cardio sucks, but I know it has to be done.

Thanks for the feedback.

Week 7: 227.0(-1.6 for the week, -14.5 total)
    POWER SETS - 3 SETS OF 5
    Deadlift 365x5, 365x4, 365x4
    Bench 205x5, 215x4, 225x2
    Squat 315x5, 315x5, 315x5

This week was great. I feel strong as ever and I was able to knock off some weight. I started going to cardio kickboxing class that is a whole lot more fun than running, I think I can attribute my success this week to that. Prolly going to gain a few pounds here in about 2 hours when I eat christmas dinner, but what are you gonna do? Its holidays ya know? Plus Ill prolly eat80 - 100 grams of protein by the time it is all said and done. Hot wing sauce injected Turkey.... amazing! I should probably start running the 40 every so often, gotta improve it for the comp. I am not going to worry about the vertical too much, it will increase as I lose weight.

Anyways, thanks for stopping by. Progress pictures will be up this week!

MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Great work, keep it up! You can see improvements in both muscle size and fat loss especially in the face and handles. Keep doing what you are doing. It helps so much to make a competition out of getting stronger and healthier.
    Last edited by MsDSP; 12-28-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Originally Posted by MsDSP View Post
    Great work, keep it up! You can see improvements in both muscle size and fat loss especially in the face and handles. Keep doing what you are doing. It helps so much to make a competition out of getting stronger and healthier.
    Thanks for positive feedback, I really appreciate it. Measley Reps Incoming.
    Last edited by riongardner; 12-26-2011 at 10:00 AM.

MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MsDSP has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by riongardner View Post
    Thanks for positive feedback, I really appreciate it. Measley Reps Incoming.
    No problem! And thank you! I was just browsing the logs reading others cause I was thinking of starting my own . So I saw yours and was interested in your progress. The problem is I wanted to start with before pics (even tho I'm 15 pounds into a cut) but I dont have enough posts to upload. I saw you ran into the same issue , but ya. So by chance I saw your log and figured id tell you that you were doing well! Subscribed and will be followin ya while you make some sweet gains

Originally Posted by MsDSP View Post
    No problem! And thank you! I was just browsing the logs reading others cause I was thinking of starting my own . So I saw yours and was interested in your progress. The problem is I wanted to start with before pics (even tho I'm 15 pounds into a cut) but I dont have enough posts to upload. I saw you ran into the same issue , but ya. So by chance I saw your log and figured id tell you that you were doing well! Subscribed and will be followin ya while you make some sweet gains
    Sounds good man. Let me kow when you start your log and I will check it out. I posted nonsense in Misc to get my 50. lol. There was nothing but nonsense in there anway, so no harm, no foul.

Power Muscle Burn 5 Day Split Strength Training Week 3 - Day 1

Chest and Triceps

Bench Press 205x5 215x5 225x3

Incline Bench Press 135x8 135x10 135x9

Dumbbell Bench Press 75x9 75x7 75x6

Dumbbell Flys 40x39

Closegrip Bench Press 115x6 115x7

Skull Crushers 70x10 70x10

Cable Tricep Extension 40x40

I closed my account with my webserver so my pictures will not be viewable in the coming days. But you can go here to view my weekly progress pictures: http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/ri...n=progresspics
    Last edited by riongardner; 12-28-2011 at 05:05 AM. Reason: pictures

0mike0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0mike0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0mike0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 0mike0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Checking in Rion. Great progress so far. You've got a really decent base @ 227lbs, this should be great!

Originally Posted by 0mike0 View Post
    Checking in Rion. Great progress so far. You've got a really decent base @ 227lbs, this should be great!
    Thanks for stopping by, I really appreciate it. Reps inc

My workout partner has my sheet for this day, will update later

Power Muscle Burn 5 Day Split Strength Training Week 3 - Day 2

Back And Traps

Barbell Rows ? ? ?

Dumbbell Rows ? ? ?

Lat Pull Down ? ? ?

Seated Cable Row ? ? ?

Power Barbell Shrugs ? ? ?

Dumbbell Shrugs ? ? ?

Power Barbell Shrugs ? ? ?