SOCAL2600 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Lower Back /Spinal Cord Injury

During a set of seated rows I ruptured 3 disks in my back. I think it was due to over training. Anyway it has been close to a year since the injury and I want to get back into weight training again. (I trained 12 yrs prior to the accident) Does anyone have advice and or info on training after this kind of severe setback?

parapete parapete parapete parapete parapete parapete parapete parapete parapete parapete parapete
    First thing is talk to your doctor and have him set strict guidelines for you. You don't want to end up like me for the rest of your life. Round legs(wheelchair) is ok.. but i still miss using my straight ones. You can PM me if you want and i can tell you what i do and you might find a lot of it will work for you. Take care.
    J.P. Fux quote "Bodybuilding is not a step by step process. If you don't erupt into a mountain overnight, its time to quit"

Seek and yee shall find!

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger!

ONe21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ONe21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ONe21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ONe21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ONe21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ONe21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ONe21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ONe21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ONe21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ONe21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ONe21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hehe.. parapete, I like the signature that is pretty funny. I would do like he said and ask a doctor cause you don't want to hurt yourself again.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog... well inside of a dog it is too dark to read." -Groucho Marx-

Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000) Fresch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Flexibility, patience and muscle re-training.

After such an injury, your lumbar spine is likely to be less supple. McKenzie back extension exercises may be a good start. Also, the hip and hamstring muscles should be stretched to a good level of flexibility.

Patience - the healing time for discs can be as long as 2 years. It depends on the severity of the injury. The back will be weaker, and so care and gradual buildup, with a conservative start, is important.

Muscle re-training of the back stabilisers - also knwon as the "core stabilisers" - is of utmost importance. This involves firstly re-training the muscles so that they actually switch back on, and then strengthening them and learning to use them as required. We are talking here about the transverse abdominous and multifidus muscles.

To be avoided at first, and maybe later as well, are exercises which increase the pressure on the lumbar discs. These include most forms of situps, hyperextensions, back extensions. Learning to hold the trunk in the correct posture when exercising is also important.

Remember, may exercises done on a bench do not load the back much. Standing is less stressful than sitting.

Find a good health expert to advise you and follow you thourgh your rehab.

Good luck!
    The science is out there!
    www.thegymphysio.com.au

parapete parapete parapete parapete parapete parapete parapete parapete parapete parapete parapete

Talking

glad you like it, haven't achieved full monster status yet, but soon lol
    J.P. Fux quote "Bodybuilding is not a step by step process. If you don't erupt into a mountain overnight, its time to quit"

Seek and yee shall find!

milkman is a name known to all. (+5000) milkman is a name known to all. (+5000) milkman is a name known to all. (+5000) milkman is a name known to all. (+5000) milkman is a name known to all. (+5000) milkman is a name known to all. (+5000) milkman is a name known to all. (+5000) milkman is a name known to all. (+5000) milkman is a name known to all. (+5000) milkman is a name known to all. (+5000) milkman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by parapete
    First thing is talk to your doctor and have him set strict guidelines for you. You don't want to end up like me for the rest of your life. Round legs(wheelchair) is ok.. but i still miss using my straight ones. You can PM me if you want and i can tell you what i do and you might find a lot of it will work for you. Take care.
    Your in a wheelchair from training ? what did you do ?

lol...no..i am in one from a logging accident, had a tree fall on me a couple years ago.

Seek and yee shall find!

Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000) Telly is just really nice. (+1000)
    Power to you parapete. You're an inspiration.

SOCAL2600 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Lower Back/ Spinal Cord Injury

I just wanted to say thanks to those who have taken the time to submit ideas-comments. I will check back with updates later.