andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Lightbulb Kidney pain during squats

Alright so i started smolov today and during my second set of 265x8 i noticed some pain in m lower left back. It was faint and i figured it might just be muscle tightness. However after my third set of 265x8 the pain escalated and its like a deep pain that made me run to the bathroom and dry heave. I figured it might have been my belt pushing up against it so i took my belt off.

I did 285x5 which hurt but wasnt too bad. But on my second set first rep of 305x2 it exploded with pain and i ran and threw up. I cut my workout short by 2 repa and im pissed but this **** hurt. The pain is localized right under my ribs next to my spine on my back.

I decided im going to start drinking more water and stop takin my preworkout.

Anyone have similar issues or any tips? Much appreciated.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender.

SQ:455
    BP:265
    DL:545

kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    that sounds like a serious medical emergency i would go to the doctor.
    Magic wand,MAKE MY MONSTER GROOOWWWW!!!!!!!!-Rita Repulsa

andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500) andom is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ive had it before but it was never this bad. Hmmm. On a scale of 1-10 probs a 6 on pain. Didnt alarm me enough to seriously worry.

The vomitting is probably greatly attribued to the fact that im doin smolov, which is significantly more volume than im used to for squats. Ive thrown up during sheiko as well

And i have a cold.

BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BigJon55 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Because it only hurt when you bore weight I suspect that the pain was not coming from your kidneys. It is most likely a pain coming from an injury to a muscle. People show up at the ER all the time claiming kidney infection and the problem is actually a torn muscle or a trigger point in their back. Drink more water, stretch, warm up better and maybe try a lower volume program.
    1st Strongman Competition May 3rd, 2014

I eat watermelons watermelonbrah's Avatar
    watermelonbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelonbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelonbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelonbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelonbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelonbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelonbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelonbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelonbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelonbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250) watermelonbrah has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You should probably get that checked out man. Or atleast stop doing such high volume squatting until it goes away.
    "It's not what you accomplished or how long it took you to get there, what really matters is that you actually did it!"

----------------------My lifting log------------------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=161934793

If you aren't being hated on you aren't doing sh**!!

Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Liftamulti is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Smolov, it can really screw with you.
    I don't care.

JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000) JBElite is a name known to all. (+5000)
    OP: It sounds like might have developed psoas tendinitis/iliopsoas tendinitis and strained or tore the psoas during your set. This exact problem happened to me a few weeks ago. I was doing a high frequency Dan John routine (deadlift 5x a week), and started developing pain and pressure in my lower left back under my ribs. I thought it was my kidneys and freaked out a little bit. Talked extensively to my best friend, a surgical resident, and he said it was most likely musculature because there will be blood/fever if there is something seriously wrong with the kidney. (Not medical advice, just what he told me). I think my tendinitis developed from poor hip flexibility and overuse.

Look up psoas stretches and work on improving flexibility in the hip region. Mine still flares up because I haven't taken off enough time to let it heal, but its manageable now that I know what it is. This is just all bro advice of course. If you experienced sharp pain, I'd see a doctor.

Last edited by JBElite; 11-15-2011 at 07:50 AM.
    "Until later, may the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush." - David Puddy (banned but not forgotten)

Originally Posted by BigJon55 View Post
    Because it only hurt when you bore weight I suspect that the pain was not coming from your kidneys. It is most likely a pain coming from an injury to a muscle. People show up at the ER all the time claiming kidney infection and the problem is actually a torn muscle or a trigger point in their back. Drink more water, stretch, warm up better and maybe try a lower volume program.
    Hmm, fair enough. It hurts when I push, like when I bough (since I have a cold) I can feel it there.

Originally Posted by Liftamulti View Post
    Smolov, it can really screw with you.
    Truth.

Originally Posted by JBElite View Post
    OP: It sounds like might have developed psoas tendinitis/iliopsoas tendinitis and strained or tore the psoas during your set. This exact problem happened to me a few weeks ago. I was doing a high frequency Dan John routine (deadlift 5x a week), and started developing pain and pressure in my lower left back under my ribs. I thought it was my kidneys and freaked out a little bit. Talked extensively to my best friend, a surgical resident, and he said it was most likely musculature because there will be blood/fever if there is something seriously wrong with the kidney. (Not medical advice, just what he told me). I think my tendinitis developed from poor hip flexibility and overuse.

Look up psoas stretches and work on improving flexibility in the hip region. Mine still flares up because I haven't taken off enough time to let it heal, but its manageable now that I know what it is. This is just all bro advice of course. If you experienced sharp pain, I'd see a doctor.
    Yea, it's like this dull ache pain, which sucks. Thanks for the advice, it's not alarming, but I think I'll take this week off and start smolov again next week, just to make sure everything is OK. Appreciate it.

sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100)
    The bro science in this thread is strong.

I doubt anyone here is a qualified doctor, which is precisely who the OP should talk to on the matter, asap.

cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by sbowesuk View Post
    The bro science in this thread is strong.

I doubt anyone here is a qualified doctor, which is precisely who the OP should talk to on the matter, asap.
    Red coming into thread for useful comment? Oh wait, nope, just trolling.
    ***** RON PAUL 2012 *****

TANSTAAFL

sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by cheeseman182 View Post
    Red coming into thread for useful comment? Oh wait, nope, just trolling.
    Stipulating the OP should talk to a qualified doctor and not rely on random unqualified forum posters for medical advice is not trolling. Also bringing the "reputation bar" into the discussion is weak and doesn't enhance the discussion in any way. Have a nice day

It's not alarming enough to go to the Dr.'s. I've had much much worse **** happen. I used to go to the Doctor over **** like this, but I end up doing like 10 tests and everything comes back normal.

don't fix it unless it's broke

Originally Posted by andom View Post
    It's not alarming enough to go to the Dr.'s. I've had much much worse **** happen. I used to go to the Doctor over **** like this, but I end up doing like 10 tests and everything comes back normal.

don't fix it unless it's broke
    A stitch in time becomes nine. You don't know that something's not "broke" if you don't get it checked out, period, and you know what they say about people who assume. Guys are notorious for bring "too macho" to go to the doctor until it's too late. Some people are smart enough not to make that mistake, some obviously aren't.

Originally Posted by sbowesuk View Post
    A stitch in time becomes nine. You don't know that something's not "broke" if you don't get it checked out, period, and you know what they say about people who assume. Guys are notorious for bring "too macho" to go to the doctor until it's too late. Some people are smart enough not to make that mistake, some obviously aren't.
    It's not macho, I've had a series of issues that have required: clonoscopy, endscopy, MRI, CAT scan, Heart monitors, etc...All the Dr's have told me is that "they don't know." So **** it, it's too expensiver and not worth my time.

It's no macho, I've had a series of issues that have required: clooscopy, MRI, CAT, Heart monitors, etc...All the Dr's have told is that "they don't know." So **** it, it's too expensiver and not worth my time.
    Well it's your body, health, and money, so at the end of the day it's your call, even if that call is a poor one and leads to nasty consequences

Squatsprophet is just really nice. (+1000) Squatsprophet is just really nice. (+1000) Squatsprophet is just really nice. (+1000) Squatsprophet is just really nice. (+1000) Squatsprophet is just really nice. (+1000) Squatsprophet is just really nice. (+1000) Squatsprophet is just really nice. (+1000) Squatsprophet is just really nice. (+1000) Squatsprophet is just really nice. (+1000) Squatsprophet is just really nice. (+1000) Squatsprophet is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by JBElite View Post

INTREDASTING....i think i may have a very minor strain on my psoas from last workout at the top tendon...this whole fuarking time i thought i hurt my back again.

markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) markyg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Alright so i started smolov today and during my second set of 265x8 i noticed some pain in m lower left back. It was faint and i figured it might just be muscle tightness. However after my third set of 265x8 the pain escalated and its like a deep pain that made me run to the bathroom and dry heave. I figured it might have been my belt pushing up against it so i took my belt off.

I did 285x5 which hurt but wasnt too bad. But on my second set first rep of 305x2 it exploded with pain and i ran and threw up. I cut my workout short by 2 repa and im pissed but this **** hurt. The pain is localized right under my ribs next to my spine on my back.

I decided im going to start drinking more water and stop takin my preworkout.

Anyone have similar issues or any tips? Much appreciated.
    Had exact same thing a couple of months ago. Was diagnosed as a torn lat muscle where it connects down there. Search for a post "Torn lat dorsi" or something. Took about 2 weeks to heal with lots of icing and rest.
    "The hardest part in lifting, is NOT to lift..." - Me

First meet results:
    Squat 140kg (+15kg PR)
    Bench 130kg (+10kg PR)
    Deadlift 185kg (+25kg PR)

Second meet results:
    Squat 175kg (+5kg PR)
    Bench 140kg (= PR)
    Deadlift 210kg (+5kg PR)