CrimsonMask has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CrimsonMask has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Is Starting Strength for Me?

So I finally have been going to the gym consistently for the past month (have gone before but was very inconsistent) or so and I'm definitetly noticing a difference (nothing major but improved from when I started.) I have been doing the generic 4 day split of chest/tris back/bis legs then shoulders, but I feel I would be better off doing a desginated program that has been proven to work. I mean by bench flat out sucks, I'm lucky to get 100 lbs up 6 times. I'm almost embarrassed to bench cause it's so low but I understand everyone has too start out somewhere. Really I don't care about having a "beach body" I really just want to get stronger and be in better shape. I'll take substance over style any day.

Now I have read the stickey on the program and understand diet plays a major part. At 5'7 165 lbs I estimated I'll have to eat around 3000 calories a day. Now I'm wondering if anyone that reads this and has done starting strength can let me know what your diet consisted of since keeping up with it will probably be the hardest part for me. I try to eat as healthy as I can but keeping up with the calories is tough for me. Currently I'm not sure what my bf% is but the only place I really have fat is around my stomach which I would like to cut eventually.

So what are your opinions on the program and if I were to do it should I throw in some ab excersies or just focus on getting stronger for now?

7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) 7Seconds has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You say you want to do a written program that is proven to work and two paragraphs later you are already adding an excercises. Just do the program as written, your core will get plenty of work with squats, OHP, and deadlifts. Once you have been on the program awhile and hopefully done a little reading you can add a few things or even try something of your own creation. Check out the stickys in the nutrition forum for diet info.
    "it's likely one of us will have to spend some days alone"

gnarly0531 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gnarly0531 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gnarly0531 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gnarly0531 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gnarly0531 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gnarly0531 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gnarly0531 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gnarly0531 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gnarly0531 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gnarly0531 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gnarly0531 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Pick a routine and stick with it buddy, you have gone 4 weeks and that is a great start but to see real results you will need to keep going. as 7seconds has said wait until you have a feel for lifting before changing to your own creation. Also bro dont even worry about 100 on the bench like you said you gotta start somewhere, it is the kid who doesn't even try that should be embarrassed. Ill tell you that when i started lifting when i was like 14 my sister could out bench me (3 years older) now that is embarrassing, that is back when i was doing like 65 or 70 pounds. With effort and time you will grow i can now one rep 225 on the bench which is what has kept me going now. once you see the real gains you wont want to stop. Good luck mang.