pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50)

hoist hf-4165 + leg attachment - great for us height challenged types

i have been considering a bench, and have spent time checking some out. i'd like one with a leg attachment, and since i'm 5'3", none i tried till now worked for me. i had tried the hoist hf-4165 a while ago during my research, and for my height and preferences, it was everything i want in a bench. the ergonomics were perfect for me, and i really liked it, but they didn't have the leg attachment for me to try. i've been reading here that some find the leg attachment uncomfortable, and now i know why. it's a perfect fit for me and my short legs - a better fit for me than anything i've used at any gym or anywhere else.

so if you're not too tall, try this one. i bet it's not too good for guys 5' 10" and over, though. you can raise it, but the distance apart for the pads doesn't seem like they'd be long enough.

PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by pcake View Post
    i have been considering a bench, and have spent time checking some out. i'd like one with a leg attachment, and since i'm 5'3", none i tried till now worked for me. i had tried the hoist hf-4165 a while ago during my research, and for my height and preferences, it was everything i want in a bench. the ergonomics were perfect for me, and i really liked it, but they didn't have the leg attachment for me to try. i've been reading here that some find the leg attachment uncomfortable, and now i know why. it's a perfect fit for me and my short legs - a better fit for me than anything i've used at any gym or anywhere else.

so if you're not too tall, try this one. i bet it's not too good for guys 5' 10" and over, though. you can raise it, but the distance apart for the pads doesn't seem like they'd be long enough.
    I'm 5'10 and it works fine for me. The angle of the seat and the angle of the backing, as well as the height of the leg attachment, all need to be adjusted for the leg extension (all of those settings make a good difference to set it properly for myself).

pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50) pcake will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    interesting. there are some people here who aren't too thrilled with it. for me, it's the icing on the cake. i think this bench will be my christmas present to myself

Originally Posted by PaulWog View Post
    I'm 5'10 and it works fine for me. The angle of the seat and the angle of the backing, as well as the height of the leg attachment, all need to be adjusted for the leg extension (all of those settings make a good difference to set it properly for myself).

PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    interesting. there are some people here who aren't too thrilled with it. for me, it's the icing on the cake. i think this bench will be my christmas present to myself
    Yeh I'm not suuuper thrilled with it. But as far as getting the right settings, I can manage that just fine.

I think where it's lacking is where most (if not all) plate loaded bench leg attachments lack: the peak of a leg curl doesn't keep enough pressure on the legs, and the leg extension just doesn't quite feel right. That said, it's functional enough to work for what it's there for.

Had I the $150 I spent on the attachment back, I'd probably invest the additional $450 for a dedicated leg extension/curl unit. However I don't have the space for that anyway, so it's back to the attachment being my only option

Anyway, staying on-topic: I think it's alright for what it is.

fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I love my 4165. I am lucky enough to have a separate leg curl/extension piece though and don't need the attachment.
    Great bench.

Geek
    []---[] Equipment Crew #34 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #1 []---[]

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."

Evolution of my gym:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131836863

devlin182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devlin182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devlin182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devlin182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devlin182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devlin182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devlin182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devlin182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devlin182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devlin182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) devlin182 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have this bench too. Love it. i'm 6'2 and use the leg curl attachment all the time. never had a problem. I also have a powertec bench with leg lift attachment. But the hoist feels way better.

can you tell me in what way the hoist feels better? i'm still wavering between the hoist, powertec and ironmaster super bench.

Originally Posted by devlin182 View Post
    I have this bench too. Love it. i'm 6'2 and use the leg curl attachment all the time. never had a problem. I also have a powertec bench with leg lift attachment. But the hoist feels way better.

can you tell me in what way the hoist feels better? i'm still wavering between the hoist, powertec and ironmaster super bench.
    My opinion: avoid the Powertec bench unless if you're getting the $999 Levergym (which packages the bench with the unit).

fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) fishingeek is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Really depends on your needs. I liked the Powertec bench better than my old style Superbench. The Hoist is the best of the bunch as far as stability is concerned.

The Powertec is great if you need the leg curl/extension. It does flat, incline and decline all well. I didn't use it for military type work.
    I have the leg press attachment which was junk IMO. The curl attachment worked ok but my elbows got sore using it so I quit.

The Super bench is great for doing flat bench and inclines. Declines very hard to get into position with and it didn't feel stable at all to me in this position.
    I have the longer back rest for it and it works very well for seated military work.
    For attachments I had the leg holder for declines and the longer back rest.

The Hoist does the flat, incline and decline very well. I'm not a fan of their stock foot holder for declines but it works. I also use it now for seated military work and Arnolds.
    It feels the most stable by far. The only thing I don't like about it is how far the foot sticks out in front. It helps with stability but can get in the way at times.
    I don't have the leg attachment so I can't comment on it.

I like all three benches but the Hoist gets the bulk of the work now.
    I sold the Powertec but still use the Super bench for doing lat pulldowns on my rack. It work perfect for this and I can get a full stretch on it.

Hope this ramble helps you decide. Feel free to ask questions about any of the choices. (keep in mind my super bench is the old style)

Geek
    []---[] Equipment Crew #34 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #1 []---[]

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional."

Evolution of my gym:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131836863

thank you - that is very helpful.

i tried the hoist in person twice, and it was the best for me i've ever used, whether at home or at the gym. i figured i could add a little foam to the foot hold down if i needed. for several minutes of sit ups in the store, it was fine. the bench was very stable, as you say, and very comfortable in various positions, and the leg attachment was the best ergonomically for me ever. what i really liked about ironmaster was the responsiveness of the company, which is quite impressive, the prices, and i liked the small footprint for our one bedroom apt, but that won't trump useability. the powertec seemed over complicated to me, but i liked the fact that they were in driving distance so if any part needs replacing, we don't have to wait for shipping. it seemed a little space friendlier than the hoist. the folks at powertec tell me they'll have a showroom at the end of this month, so i hope during december to try their stuff in person. at this point, i expect i'll change my mind over and over, check out the powertec stuff, and then unless it's perfect for me, buy the hoist and leg attachment, and have many years working out on it.

thanks again!

Originally Posted by fishingeek View Post
    Really depends on your needs. I liked the Powertec bench better than my old style Superbench. The Hoist is the best of the bunch as far as stability is concerned.

The Powertec is great if you need the leg curl/extension. It does flat, incline and decline all well. I didn't use it for military type work.
    I have the leg press attachment which was junk IMO. The curl attachment worked ok but my elbows got sore using it so I quit.

The Super bench is great for doing flat bench and inclines. Declines very hard to get into position with and it didn't feel stable at all to me in this position.
    I have the longer back rest for it and it works very well for seated military work.
    For attachments I had the leg holder for declines and the longer back rest.

The Hoist does the flat, incline and decline very well. I'm not a fan of their stock foot holder for declines but it works. I also use it now for seated military work and Arnolds.
    It feels the most stable by far. The only thing I don't like about it is how far the foot sticks out in front. It helps with stability but can get in the way at times.
    I don't have the leg attachment so I can't comment on it.

I like all three benches but the Hoist gets the bulk of the work now.
    I sold the Powertec but still use the Super bench for doing lat pulldowns on my rack. It work perfect for this and I can get a full stretch on it.

Hope this ramble helps you decide. Feel free to ask questions about any of the choices. (keep in mind my super bench is the old style)

Geek

playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How much did you guys pay for your HOIST 4165 bench?