caseybeau has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Looking for other ways to get motivated

Hey everyone -

I have been working out for a little over 16 years now, but I have recently realized that my motivation levels are low. I usually love going to the gym, but over the past year or so, I have found it difficult to get myself in there. I have been looking for a workout partner, because I felt like if I could make it an appointment (where someone else's schedule had to be taken into account) then I would go whether I wanted to or not. Unfortunately, workout partners have not been showing up. It seems the only people interested are long-distance, which won't help me at the gym.

I have also thought about hiring a personal trainer (for the same reasons listed above about the schedule thing), but I have been a personal trainer in the past, and I am not really inclined to pay for a professional when all I want is a spotter/workout partner. That said, money is not so available that I can afford to drop it on non-essentials right now.

Knowing how I work, if I can't find a regular commitment to push me into the gym, making a goal that has a real consequence if I fail would be the second best thing. I am turning to you guys because I need to find an entry-level competition or event that is fitness related that will give me a definite goal to shoot for. I'm thinking of something like an amateur body building competition, something like the iron man competitions, stuff like that. I know that I am not ready for the national level events, but I can't seem to find less professional arenas. Do you have suggestions on alternatives to the body building competitions that are out there or the iron man/marathon type events?

I appreciate your help.