rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Want to do the beginner's workout (Starr) but have back issues - some advice?

I've been doing a general workout for the last few months to get into shape and now want to start up with one of the more proven bodybuilding beginner workouts. I've read up extensively on them and would love to follow Starr's to the T except for one major problem. I cannot deadlift or do a barbell squat due to back issues and this will not change. This is at the advice of 2 PT's and a neurologist so please don't think I'm just trying to get out of the hard work. Before my injuries I was doing a program very similar to Starr's and I did all the heavy lifts including squats, deadlifted, clean and press etc.

My question is how can I modify a mass building beginner workout to suit my limiations? I can do the leg press and basically any exercise that does not put an inordinate amount of weight on my spine. If this isn't simply a case of modifying another program, does anyone have advice on what program to do or a resource I can look into?

longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) longsnapper50 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    as someone who also has dealt with a serious back injury i have a word of warning for you.

i was also told squatting/dead lifting was not a good idea while i was going thru PT after i had a surgery to help my problem.

but i was told i could leg press to work my legs.

I personally found the leg press to put ALOT of pressure on my lower spine (where my injury was) i think it was the fact that it was impossible for me to keep a tight trunk with a slight arch in the lower back with this exercise. I quickly stopped this exercise all together.

just wanted to give you a heads up.

what kind of injury are you dealing with?
    support the troops.

RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) RePz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can you do dumbell squats? How about dumbell squats with your back on a stability ball (i think that takes away pressure on your back and puts its on your quads directly if you angle it like you were sitting down)? Leg press is fine, leg ext and leg curls also.

You can gain size without squats and deadlifts, dont believe the hype about no legs means no size, or that you NEED deadlifts or squats, there are enough funny looking guys in gyms with imbalanced bodies to show you its possible. I never did deadlifts, and my squats are done with dumbells (and i got good sized legs), and I gain as much size as I can with the amount of calories i feed myself.

rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizorith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the advice.

Longsnapper - It's a bulging disc combined with scoliosis. The disc won't get any better, so all I can do to help is get a strong core to stabilize my spine and try not to injure or inflame it. So far the leg press is going well but I'm not at heavy weights yet.

Repz - That's good to hear about not needing deadlifts or squats. I do plan on trying them at some point but I want to build a base up beforehand and then step back and take it slow and see how it goes. Your suggestions on db squats is interesting. I've tried them before and had difficulty keeping good form and holding the weight in my hands. Do you have any suggestions on how to do it? Where do the db's go - by your sides?

In general, I could use some more advice on specific workout programs. I listed one in another thread but got no responses. It was something to the effect of doing 3 sets of 8-10 reps, 3 days a week. reps of leg press, bb press, behind the neck bb shoulder press, cable pulls, pulldowns (not sure if this is overkill with cable pulls), dips and weighted crunches. My idea was this would mimic a full body all-around workout and get me some good mass without doing squats and deadlifts. I also was curious if I should be lowering this to something like 5x5's more in line with Starr's workout program. 8-10 reps seems a bit high but I thought 5x5 full body might be too much. Anyways, any advice or direction is much appreciated.