Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)

Division 1 Intern Strength and Conditioning Coach Log

So I am an intern at a Division 1 athletic program. Not gonna say which one (Its not the obvious one based on my location). This log will chronicle my responsibilities and observances from this experience. It seems like a lot of folks in this section want to be S&C coaches so I figured it might help. I am not claiming to know it all just want to share my experiences so people might know what they are getting into.

I am a CSCS, plan to get my USAW and CSCCa in the next year or two while finding a master's program. Goal is to eventually be the head guy at a D1 (probably fcs) level.

I hope people are interested in this. Its not exactly what this section is meant for but its fairly relevant.
    771/645/622 Single Ply

JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Subbed, I look forward to reading this. Where did you get your degree?
    I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    Michael Jordan

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162469881&p=1257904381#post1257904381

Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000) Torrtrefireto is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I got my bs from the university of Maryland. It was a great school but the kinesiologyprogram was research and therapy geared so i learned nothing practical. I've since found schools that are S&c oriented but hindsight is 20/20. I also did zero intern work during my.undergrad. I've made some dumb mistakes but i think i am on a good track now
    771/645/622 Single Ply

Observation #1
    Intern Job Description in theory- Assisting with the implementation of workouts.
    In practice- Janitor and weight bitch. Being in charge of snitching on players who you catch skipping reps

#2- Be prepared to work at least 12 hour days

#3- Even if you are there volunteering, be very grateful. Always thank them and ask if there is anything more you can do. Remember, its these guys who are going to help you get your dream job in a few years. Work twice as hard as any of the paid GAs if they have them, maybe one day you can steal their place.

#4- Ask questions, challenge the head guy in a respectful way.

#5- If someone asks you for something, you better sprint to get it done.

#6- If you act like an athlete's friend they will try to take advantage of you, you aren't their friend you are a coach.
    771/645/622 Single Ply

More lessons

Communicate. They are constantly pissed at their GAs for no-showing. Make sure you call in all the time. This week I am going to try and do Wed/Thurs instead of Tues/Thurs and even though I don't really matter much in the grand scheme of things (except I make it so no one else has to play janitor) I'm sure as **** gonna call

Find a coach who shares your training philosophies. Small differences are okay because you can learn from them. But if you are a olympic lifting fanatic don't go to a school who does only powerlifts or does HIT ****. I was all set to intern for a school until I went there and the guy did none of the real lifts, only did HIT machine stuff and just sat there on his computer while the kids lifted. You want to go somewhere to learn, thats the most important thing.
    Last edited by Torrtrefireto; 11-14-2011 at 05:34 PM.
    771/645/622 Single Ply

More

Don't put things on your application that a strength coach would consider stupid
    No-no's
    -fitness
    -personal training accolades unless they are athletes
    -saying you did more than you really did, as in... I am an intern, but I assist... so I could put assistant on my application right? No.
    -Any certifying body other than the NSCA CSCCa, USAW (maybe others but as far as I know). Saying you use acsm or ace protocols to train your athletes=automatic laughs
    771/645/622 Single Ply

JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JamieQB8 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    how's the internship going? How many coaches are on the staff?
    I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
    Michael Jordan

Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162469881&p=1257904381#post1257904381

Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Calhexas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So far all spot on.

How's it going still?

Originally Posted by JamieQB8 View Post
    how's the internship going? How many coaches are on the staff?
    Full time real coaches 2
    GAs like 10... but most of them are like 4 hours a week. One GA is basically there all the time (prob 60-70 hours during football season)

Its good man, I mean. Ideally I'd be getting paid and have more responsibilities and **** but gotta work up for it
    Originally Posted by Calhexas View Post
    So far all spot on.

How's it going still?
    Good man. Football season is over (D1AA and didn't make playoffs) so **** is real chill now. To the point where they are saying don't bother to make the hour-two hour drive because its not worth it. Was there today they had men's basketball and m+w tennis thats all.

Kinda glad I'm at an FCS school and not a place like Bama... I can't imagine how much crazier it would be when its already insane

Another lesson-
    Be there as much as you can and on a variety of days.
    Because stuff is so hectic and I can only get there every now and then right now, the only thing I have seen the football team do is dynamic effort bench (they use the conjugate system). No max effort bench, no dynamic or max effort lower body stuff. So 3 years from now if I kept doing this I'd probably be an expert at that, but useless at everything else

Another which is one that I am struggling with
    Realize you are now part of the team and should care about them. To be honest, unless it is my high school, or one very few college teams I happen to like I don't really care what happens to any team. But you aren't a private coach who only deals with getting guys stronger. You are a part of that university and should care about their success. Its hard to go from zero to loyal so fast, but I need to work on being happy when the teams win, and pissed when they lose, because it is a relflection on the S&C depatment and eventually will be a reflection on me wherever I end up as a real coach
    Last edited by Torrtrefireto; 12-02-2011 at 09:46 AM.
    771/645/622 Single Ply

More

You have to figure out if you are a strength coach or a strength coach

All 3 of the main guys I work with got into this because they love football and want to be around it. So they are probably strength coaches. I bet they'd rather be an actual football coach than have a different profession related to lifting.

I am certainly more of a strength coach. I don't feel any special love for any team sports. I just love lifting and have always wanted to do something related to it.
    771/645/622 Single Ply

bonjjj is just really nice. (+1000) bonjjj is just really nice. (+1000) bonjjj is just really nice. (+1000) bonjjj is just really nice. (+1000) bonjjj is just really nice. (+1000) bonjjj is just really nice. (+1000) bonjjj is just really nice. (+1000) bonjjj is just really nice. (+1000) bonjjj is just really nice. (+1000) bonjjj is just really nice. (+1000) bonjjj is just really nice. (+1000)
    be strong

_Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You so far have described the typical experience of a S&C intern. You seem to have a very good head on your shoulders. Some interns never figure out the few things you've already posted. At the end of the day, most people can't begin to comprehend the dedication and sacrifice it takes to work in this industry. Keep ask questions, keep learning, keep working hard. The Collegiate S&C business is very challenging, but can also be extremely rewarding.

If you ever have any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.
    PR Sports Performance
    http://www.prsportsperformance.com

Online Strength Training
    http://www.prsportsperformance.com/online-strength-training

Thanks for your post. I looked into your website.... gonna have to steal those bar situps on the GHR, they look very fun.

I guess 1 question I have is.... wanna offer me a job?
    771/645/622 Single Ply

_Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10) _Coach_ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Unfortunately no job to offer right now. Keep in touch.
    PR Sports Performance
    http://www.prsportsperformance.com

Online Strength Training
    http://www.prsportsperformance.com/online-strength-training

Originally Posted by _Coach_ View Post
    Unfortunately no job to offer right now. Keep in touch.
    Will do man.

Lesson of day
    Starting immediately after reading this, get better at learning names. I don't know the name of a single player on a single team and it really gets bad because I will be told what to do with a specific person and will never know who they are talking about.

Usually I would say what color clothes they are wearing but they all wear the same stuff
    771/645/622 Single Ply

Be prepared to pretty much feel as though every day you are going to run out of money and obsessively fantasize about landing a good job somewhere. And be prepared for that job to not come quickly.

In terms of $, I want this phase of my life over right now. But I am having a good time and learning a lot
    771/645/622 Single Ply

Don't get too scared with how insane the hours are during football times.

During winter break (where I am at least) there are about 2 total lifting sessions per week. Its dreadfully slow.

Have a dream job in mind. I can envision exactly where I want to end up at what school with what job. Doesn't mean it will never change, but at least have an idea
    771/645/622 Single Ply

Be prepared to e-mail just about every d1 fbs and fcs school asking about GA opportunities.

Be prepared to hear back from about 1% of them
    771/645/622 Single Ply

Be prepared to cringe (literally) at some of the technique you see athletes lifting with.

Be prepared to disagree with some of the choaching methods and technique adjustments you hear (as in, sit back on a front squat?..... when sit back, torso must bend over or fall backwards, when torso bend over with weight in front weight in front fall.... how is that not simple?)

Be prepared to have to bite your tounge when these moments pop up
    771/645/622 Single Ply

blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) blitz042000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Torrtrefireto View Post
    More

-Any certifying body other than the NSCA CSCCa, USAW (maybe others but as far as I know). Saying you use acsm or ace protocols to train your athletes=automatic laughs

I am finishing my undergrad in ex. science and there seems to be a lot of push if you are going to work in S&C for certifications. Everyone seems to push ACSM for us. Are you saying that its not a good certification to have or that training athletes with this protocol is what gets you laughed at? I have been thinking about getting some certifications but they are expensive so I want the most bang for my buck.
    "Hey ladies, hey gentlemen, hey everybody...One more time for the Greatest Team in America!!!!"- ERK RUSSELL
    I rep back.
    Got negged twice in one day for believing in God. Guess what? I still believe in God.
    >>>>>Florida State Seminoles Tomahawk Nation Crew>>>>>
    CSCS by the NSCA

Strength/Condition Coach jdiritto's Avatar
    jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by blitz042000 View Post
    I am finishing my undergrad in ex. science and there seems to be a lot of push if you are going to work in S&C for certifications. Everyone seems to push ACSM for us. Are you saying that its not a good certification to have or that training athletes with this protocol is what gets you laughed at? I have been thinking about getting some certifications but they are expensive so I want the most bang for my buck.

ACSM is not going to help you move forward in collegiate S&C> it is more than likely a waste of time/money, but if you get it for free via development funds it can be good CEU's for the NSCA or CSCCa (if they take it) - most of what you learn in the academic environment is a waste when you get in the real world and want to build champions. Buy supertraining by Verkhoshansky and study it hard.

like the Torrtrefireto said all you need is a CSCS, USAW, and/or CSCCa to be a DI coach..plus experience, a solid network of professionals to back you, and the willingness to bust your ass day in day out for little to no pay and possibly little to no respect depending on how the admin runs the department.