Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast
    Pro Natural Bodybuilder FATHER FLEX's Avatar
    FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Heracles26 View Post
    go for 600 already, you've got it in you!!
    Think so
    100% Natural Bodybuilding!
    http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/

Where there are no men be a man.

Even a genius asks questions.

Knowledge is the child of confusion.

FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FATHER FLEX is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Originally Posted by JRemix View Post
    Would you say I'm a beginner intermediate in terms of training experience? Is beginner based on amount of muscle youve gained/is the beginner phase something that lasts a year? That's the part I'm confused on. I know an intermediate (middle level) is someone who has at least gained 20+lbs of muscle. I'm 127lbs at 5"5 and I think my genetic limit is something like 170lbs at 10%.

Stats: 127lbs/5"5/13% body fat/early 20s. By beginner I mean that I've not gained the muscle to get out of the honey moon phase (the beginner YEAR where you can gain 20lb of muscle, not even close to gaining that):haven't lifted for a year consistently or bulked for more than 3 months (in 2011, now into my 2nd bulking month since returning from a long layoff from 2011). I have lifted for 7 months in a row before (4 dieting/3 bulking) in 2011. In my avatar (from 2011) I was 132lbs at 10-11%.

I just watched one of your January Q&A videos and you say the beginner phase (not year in terms of muscular potential) of linear gains usually lasts 3-4 months and most do 5x5 programs. I think based on my lifting experience/strength I'm past that stage of learning to lift with proper form....but I have not gained even close to the muscle mass needed to be considered a real intermediate.

Some of my current best lifts: 285x7 deadlift 3 sets, DB flat bench 75lbx6 2 sets, DB row 85x6/80x9, military press standing 100lb BBx8 2 sets, 35lb DB curlx7 2 sets.

Should I do the "beginner intermediate 3 day full body" program you outline in the Q&A series? It seems appropriate for where I am at. The upper/lower one as you said is for an "intermediate-intermediate" (they've gone from 160 to 180-185). I think (correct me if I am wrong) that I am past the 3 month newbie adaptation phase that requires someone do a 5x5 program but I am still a beginner in terms of muscular development/how far I am from my genetic ceiling.

Should I only be lifting 3x a week until I add another 15lb+ of muscle? If the beginner intermediate routine you made isn't right for me what would you recommend I do and for how long?

I appreciate the help Berto, I do want to make sure that i choose a routine that is optimal for my current phase of development.
    I think you are an intermediate bro, to put it bluntly if you look weight trained you are not a beginner. I would say that no...20lbs rule doesn't apply to you because you are 130ish lbs...I think you are on the right track with your training

Self proclaimed sorcerer Bnizzle163's Avatar
    Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bnizzle163 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    S*** getting real in here!
    *Professional comic book geek* *semi-pro cartoon collector* *full time nerd*

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166076501

Contact me for coaching/contest prep/nutritional services: WRyan163@yahoo.com

IG: @Bnizzle163

The Solution has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    405 x 21
    You trying to be the next doug miller B?

JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by FATHER FLEX View Post
    I think you are an intermediate bro, to put it bluntly if you look weight trained you are not a beginner. I would say that no...20lbs rule doesn't apply to you because you are 130ish lbs...I think you are on the right track with your training
    You cleared up so many of my questions in a single paragraph, thank you.

Which routine do you feel is more appropriate for me: your four-five day upper/lower split for mid-level intermediates or your 3 day full body beginning intermediate split? I feel as if I am a beginning intermediate.

I appreciate the help.
    Last edited by JRemix; 02-13-2013 at 05:59 PM.

You cleared up so many of my questions in a single paragraph, thank you.

Which routine do you feel is more appropriate for me: your four-five day upper/lower split for mid-level intermediates or your 3 day full body beginning intermediate split? I feel as if I am a beginning intermediate.

One last question, since I'm intermediate should I still try to gain 3lb a month on my bulk? I remember you saying in your last reply that a 3lb a month gain for a non-total beginner equals to perma bulk mode (is 2lb a month a better idea). Being only 128lbs can I still gain 1.7-2lb of muscle a month now (since you can gain up to 2lb of muscle a month your first year of training)?

I appreciate the help.
    Please read the 3dmj site:

http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/artic...evelopment.php

http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/artic...approaches.php

http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/artic...nsitioning.php

Good Video series:

http://www.3dmusclejourney.com/artic...unez-in-3d.php

JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JRemix is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks. I read the articles (Berto recommends 1-2lb a month for intermediates) but If a first year lifter (based on the muscular potential scale from bodyrecomposition.com/in the levels of development article) can gain up to 2lb of muscle a month, wouldn't some extra fat be needed to add those 2lbs?

I had already read the first article (just the beginner section though, just re read it) and the other two had a good take home message of slow and steady wins the race. There's also the fact that more fat gain now means more dieting later.

I will watch the video series.
    Last edited by JRemix; 02-13-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Too much overthinking, and not enough time spent lifting, eating, resting, and sleeping ^^^ Just being real. Trying to pinpoint if you gain 2 or 2.2 or 2.5 or 1.5 pounds a month and if you make good success is great and all, but why not use the mirror, your gym performance, and your lifts/energy/mood as key indicators of your progress. Berto cant read your body unlike yourself which you have to learn through trial and error. We are all different.

other good reads:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...potential.html

Originally Posted by The Solution View Post
    Too much overthinking, and not enough time spent lifting, eating, resting, and sleeping ^^^ Just being real. Trying to pinpoint if you gain 2 or 2.2 or 2.5 or 1.5 pounds a month and if you make good success is great and all, but why not use the mirror, your gym performance, and your lifts/energy/mood as key indicators of your progress. Berto cant read your body unlike yourself which you have to learn through trial and error. We are all different.

other good reads:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...potential.html
    Yeah you are right, I just remembered that Berto already told me that month to month you'll gain diff amounts of weight and it's all about adjusting etc and results over time (since gaining phases are 6 months+). In that case small differences of 0.5lb a month aren't that big of a deal. At least I know that I should not be gaining 3lbs a month.

I have one question left from my above post (the one of whether 3dmjs 3 day full body or their upper/lower split would be best for me)...but I have a feeling Berto implied that 3 day full body is ideal for now since I discussed that in my post (and I said upper/lower prob isn't right just yet).
    Last edited by JRemix; 02-13-2013 at 06:26 PM.

but why not use the mirror, your gym performance, and your lifts/energy/mood as key indicators of your progress.
    Y
    I have one question left from my above post (you helped me answer my other questions in a second/through the links): the one of which intermediate routine would be best for me (3dmj's 3 day full body vs their 4-5 day upper/lower).
    Already answered above....

True that. I thought one would be better than the other just based on what type of intermediate I was. I don't know which body parts grow easily for me so the full body one is prob best for now. I'll run with it for a bit and see how it goes.
    Last edited by JRemix; 02-13-2013 at 08:19 PM.

JureRus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JureRus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JureRus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JureRus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JureRus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JureRus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JureRus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JureRus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JureRus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JureRus is on a distinguished road. (+10) JureRus is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Very inspiring, as always! That 5x 525 looked insainely easy!
    Lifetime Natural Bodybuilder

Follow me on FB: https://www.********.com/sizeandsymmetryathletejurerus

www.NaturalMuscleZone.com

Sponsored by: Sizeandsymmetry
    http://www.sizeandsymmetry.com/athletes/jure-rus

IFPA Pro Bodybuilder XClassic10's Avatar
    XClassic10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XClassic10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XClassic10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XClassic10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XClassic10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XClassic10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XClassic10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XClassic10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XClassic10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XClassic10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) XClassic10 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Long time lurker, very motivating stuff here! I always look at your pics for motivation when dieting down for a show, which is currently the case as well haha.

I saw in a previous thread that you mentioned you use the premier cut posing trunks (I'm assuming from jagware? didn't see that style anywhere else). what size did you go with? I'm a little confused on their sizes. it says they have a medium, a med/small, and a small. I know i'll at least get the medium and not the small, but didn't know about the med/small size which was a new one to me. your competition stats are fairly close to what mine will be I think, so just curious and wanting to know for reference.
    http://instagram.com/live_laugh_lift26
    www.youtube.com/user/ClassicAesthetics26
    ******** Page: http://www.********.com/CorbinPiersonNaturalFitness
    http://theflexibledieters.com/

MAN Sports Athlete

NaturalMarty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalMarty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalMarty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalMarty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalMarty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalMarty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalMarty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalMarty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalMarty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalMarty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NaturalMarty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ok ill keep it short just wanna confirm i am a intermediate before i start 3DMJ Push/pull/legs
    weight 88kg
    lifting 3 years
    current pbs squats 140x2, deadlift 150, bench 100x2, db bench 44x4 (all KGS)

Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Heracles26 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    what specific injuries have you dealt with in your career so far Berto?
    *ελευθερία ή θάνατος*
    ~ελληνικο crew~

**PhD in Broscience**

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
    - Niccolo Machiavelli

Yeah you are right, I just remembered that Berto already told me that month to month you'll gain diff amounts of weight and it's all about adjusting etc and results over time (since gaining phases are 6 months+). In that case small differences of 0.5lb a month aren't that big of a deal. At least I know that I should not be gaining 3lbs a month.

I have one question left from my above post (the one of whether 3dmjs 3 day full body or their upper/lower split would be best for me)...but I have a feeling Berto implied that 3 day full body is ideal for now since I discussed that in my post (and I said upper/lower prob isn't right just yet).

True that. I thought one would be better than the other just based on what type of intermediate I was. I don't know which body parts grow easily for me so the full body one is prob best for now. I'll run with it for a bit and see how it goes.

You are beyond linear progression dude

Originally Posted by JureRus View Post
    Very inspiring, as always! That 5x 525 looked insainely easy!
    I think two more reps would have been possible...Going for 3's tomorrow

Originally Posted by XClassic10 View Post
    Long time lurker, very motivating stuff here! I always look at your pics for motivation when dieting down for a show, which is currently the case as well haha.

I saw in a previous thread that you mentioned you use the premier cut posing trunks (I'm assuming from jagware? didn't see that style anywhere else). what size did you go with? I'm a little confused on their sizes. it says they have a medium, a med/small, and a small. I know i'll at least get the medium and not the small, but didn't know about the med/small size which was a new one to me. your competition stats are fairly close to what mine will be I think, so just curious and wanting to know for reference.
    I think for you a medium small would be best, because mediums I think are best for natural heavies, and then the other sizes are for dudes that are 200+ + +

Originally Posted by NaturalMarty View Post
    ok ill keep it short just wanna confirm i am a intermediate before i start 3DMJ Push/pull/legs
    weight 88kg
    lifting 3 years
    current pbs squats 140x2, deadlift 150, bench 100x2, db bench 44x4 (all KGS)
    Intermediates should NOT be on a split that has you workout 6 our of 8 days. In my opinion...

Originally Posted by Heracles26 View Post
    what specific injuries have you dealt with in your career so far Berto?
    Shoulder in 2003
    Sciatic Nerve/SI Joint 2008
    Shoulders Current but less serious than in 2003

TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000) TheNaturalOak is just really nice. (+1000)
    First post back on bb.com in a month r so, just wanted to drop a quick ty for the youtube vids.
    Prepping at the moment and the info helps me stay on track!!

Thanks mang and the rest of the 3dmj crew
    Visit My Current Log -> http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144888731

Originally Posted by Bnizzle163 View Post
    S*** getting real in here!
    And SWOLE!

405 x 21
    You trying to be the next doug miller B?

Can't high rep dead for crap, now squat for reps! Getting there!

Originally Posted by TheNaturalOak View Post
    First post back on bb.com in a month r so, just wanted to drop a quick ty for the youtube vids.
    Prepping at the moment and the info helps me stay on track!!

Thanks mang and the rest of the 3dmj crew
    Thank you dude, and you might dig this one because I know being precise is a big part of your life right now

benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50) benjobb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Great to see you on MFP!

And I have a question if it's okay. For a beginner that's seriously lifted for about 6 months now, is linear progress that important? Because while I've gained about 7 pounds in like 4 months, my lifts haven't progressed that much. My bench press and overhead press have hardly moved, maybe about 5 pounds for a 5x5, but my squats/deads have improved quite a bit, by around 30 pounds each with proper form, what do you think could be causing the upper body stalling? Should I be getting a bigger surplus? Is it probably an issue of form or overreaching?

I'm on Jason Blaha's 5x5 bodybuilder novice routine, 160 pounds and 18 years old. Thanks for reading if you did!
    Always learning.

(For 5 reps)
    Squat - 110kg
    Deadlift- 115kg
    Bench Press - 65kg
    Overhead Press - 47.5kg

Doing Starting Strength by JasonDB/IceCreamFitness, check out my log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148385953

Check out my youtube page too: youtube.com/thebofitness

tomcardno1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomcardno1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomcardno1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomcardno1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomcardno1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomcardno1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomcardno1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomcardno1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomcardno1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomcardno1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) tomcardno1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Berto, i have a question about shoulder rehab. in the past couple of weeks i've had to stop doing heavy DB presses, overhead and all Bench angles, so i've dropped the weight in half, also for my 'delts' workout i just did really light rotator cuff moves, what are your thoughts on this as i am asking because you've had a shoulder injury if i remember correctly? cheers.
    100% natural bodybuilding

My Online Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151749233

⫸ AUT Certified Personal Trainer
    ⫸ AUT Sports Performance Nutrition paper completion

⟡ ******** - /tomcardno1
    ⟡ Instagram - @tomcardno1
    ⟡ Twitter - @tomcardno1

You are beyond linear progression dude
    I will begin your 5 day upper lower split ASAP then (the one you recommend for mid level intermediates). I'll scrap the full body routine.
    Last edited by JRemix; 02-17-2013 at 07:54 PM.

DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000) DiamondMaker is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Your protein seems kinda low? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought earlier in this log you stated you'd be starting at 300g daily since you've known in the past that worked better for you?

Awesome stuff in here thought, I'm starting to really see the need for the RPE scale as I pass that "beyond intermediate" phase and I'm enjoying how you have continued to bring up the significance of going to failure or not.

Originally Posted by benjobb View Post
    Great to see you on MFP!

And I have a question if it's okay. For a beginner that's seriously lifted for about 6 months now, is linear progress that important? Because while I've gained about 7 pounds in like 4 months, my lifts haven't progressed that much. My bench press and overhead press have hardly moved, maybe about 5 pounds for a 5x5, but my squats/deads have improved quite a bit, by around 30 pounds each with proper form, what do you think could be causing the upper body stalling? Should I be getting a bigger surplus? Is it probably an issue of form or overreaching?

I'm on Jason Blaha's 5x5 bodybuilder novice routine, 160 pounds and 18 years old. Thanks for reading if you did!
    Progress should in large should be linear, when it isn't then you can do something with undulating rep work but still in a full body fashion. One thing we have to remember with that all these phases look different on everyone...Bryce Lewis as a early to middle level intermediate was pulling 500lbs so don't go by numbers, but more so the pace of your recovery

Originally Posted by tomcardno1 View Post
    Hey Berto, i have a question about shoulder rehab. in the past couple of weeks i've had to stop doing heavy DB presses, overhead and all Bench angles, so i've dropped the weight in half, also for my 'delts' workout i just did really light rotator cuff moves, what are your thoughts on this as i am asking because you've had a shoulder injury if i remember correctly? cheers.
    Shoulder injuries can vary soooooooooooooooooooooo much from person to person, so many thing can go wrong with that joint. Do your research, and see a specialist. That way you have good questions, and can help him/her narrow down the problem some

I will begin your 5 day upper lower split ASAP then (the one you recommend for mid level intermediates). I'll scrap the full body routine.
    Yeah the 5th day is VERY VERY optional but of course people will do it because it means more gym time Four days is about right for most, but feel fee to play around with it

Originally Posted by DiamondMaker View Post
    Your protein seems kinda low? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought earlier in this log you stated you'd be starting at 300g daily since you've known in the past that worked better for you?

Awesome stuff in here thought, I'm starting to really see the need for the RPE scale as I pass that "beyond intermediate" phase and I'm enjoying how you have continued to bring up the significance of going to failure or not.
    The fatter and more well fed you are the less you need. Right now my is heavier than it wants to be, but I need it...I am accumulating good "fat boy strength"

And yeah totally is helping me progress at the right rate for me, and this is despite the fact that I am not focusing on strength to much, and really won't until after the the March meet.

GHOSTN will become famous soon enough. (+50) GHOSTN will become famous soon enough. (+50) GHOSTN will become famous soon enough. (+50) GHOSTN will become famous soon enough. (+50) GHOSTN will become famous soon enough. (+50) GHOSTN will become famous soon enough. (+50) GHOSTN will become famous soon enough. (+50) GHOSTN will become famous soon enough. (+50) GHOSTN will become famous soon enough. (+50) GHOSTN will become famous soon enough. (+50) GHOSTN will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bit of youtube exposure and thread proceeds to turn into a q&a just like Layne's...
    Last edited by GHOSTN; 02-18-2013 at 12:32 AM.
    My Macros+

Originally Posted by GHOSTN View Post
    Bit of youtube exposure and thread proceeds to turn into a q&a just like Layne's...
    It has always kinda been that way...I think my old threads turned into Q&As than this one

bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bigryan03 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! Bertron in Aus FTMFW!