Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    *Food

cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cheeseman182 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by PaulSavage View Post
    Nutrition is only valued @ 5% of results - interesting comment..painful, but interesting.
    Meal timing, not nutrition.

I used to do all the stupid shit like wake up in the middle of the night to drink a protein shake and make sure I have hydro whey with dextrose .09 secs after my last rep of my work out etc... then I started eating more. Most effect thing I've ever done for my training was eating more.
    ***** RON PAUL 2012 *****

TANSTAAFL

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The broscience is strong itt.

overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by .aeterna View Post

omg fasting 16 hrs a day? brb catabolicismsdimsimskm!!!!
    didn't click the link but I doubt he's advocating a 16 hour fast post workout.

also, it seems like the responses ITT are bordering on the extremes. nutrient timing may not be as important as "hitting your macros" but I still don't think it would be a great idea to starve yourself after a workout because it doesn't matter and you can make it all up later. Why do you think sports nutritionists recommend eating within 90 minutes or sooner after training/competition? It looks like Alan is saying that nutrient timing isn't so important because there is overlap in intake/digestion/absorption, not that it doesn't matter at all and eating one huge meal per day is the same as a few smaller meals.
    Last edited by overload420; 11-07-2011 at 06:00 PM.

overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) overload420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    to try to answer your question OP: depending on how long it takes your body to digest, you can eat anywhere from 4 hours to ~45 minutes pre-workout. for your pre-workout meal you'll want a proportional (CHO/Pro/Fat) if possible. Mostly carbs, small to moderate amount of protein and a little fat. If I remember correctly, fat and protein take longer to digest than carbs so if you're not sure about your digestion you should leave yourself plenty of time between this meal and the workout (probably anywhere from 2-4 hours).

I like to take a gatorade or other sports drink with me to the gym if I know the workout is going to last over an hour and I feel like my pre-workout nutrition wasn't optimal.

When you eat post-workout will depend on your body, too. You can eat as soon as possible if you want and are able to (some people feel nauseous or don't want to eat right away), but I wouldn't recommend waiting any longer than 90 minutes to eat. If you take protein shakes, this might be a good time for one if you haven't already had one. Otherwise just make sure it's a proportional meal with plenty of carbs and protein and a little fat.

x2 on what everybody else said about caloric surplus for gaining weight.

.aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) .aeterna has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by overload420 View Post
    didn't click the link but I doubt he's advocating a 16 hour fast post workout.

also, it seems like the responses ITT are bordering on the extremes. nutrient timing may not be as important as "hitting your macros" but I still don't think it would be a great idea to starve yourself after a workout because it doesn't matter and you can make it all up later. Why do you think sports nutritionists recommend eating within 90 minutes or sooner after training/competition? It looks like Alan is saying that nutrient timing isn't so important because there is overlap in intake/digestion/absorption, not that it doesn't matter at all and eating one huge meal per day is the same as a few smaller meals.
    nobody said not to eat anything 16 hours after you workout...the assumptions are so strong ITT...

also, fasted training has benefits

pls go to the nutrition forum and read something

Originally Posted by .aeterna View Post
    nobody said not to eat anything 16 hours after you workout...the assumptions are so strong ITT...

also, fasted training has benefits

pls go to the nutrition forum and read something
    based on what the other guy said and how you responded to him, it seemed reasonable that you would agree with that notion.

I train fasted. You're right, the assumptions are strong ITT.

ELITEPOWER1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ELITEPOWER1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ELITEPOWER1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ELITEPOWER1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ELITEPOWER1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ELITEPOWER1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ELITEPOWER1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ELITEPOWER1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ELITEPOWER1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ELITEPOWER1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ELITEPOWER1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Low glycemic carbs before training,for fat... olive oil or flax oil and for protein a quality slow digesting protein will do...now after workout it's the opposite for protein,a fast digestive protein,no fat[or very little]...and for carbs,high glycemic.2:1 ratio carbs to protein,especially after training.This pre/post workout diet approach is used by most bodybuilder/strength athlete's,all the best to you.

wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) wick is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ELITEPOWER1 View Post
    Low glycemic carbs before training,for fat... olive oil or flax oil and for protein a quality slow digesting protein will do...now after workout it's the opposite for protein,a fast digestive protein,no fat[or very little]...and for carbs,high glycemic.2:1 ratio carbs to protein,especially after training.This pre/post workout diet approach is used by most bodybuilder/strength athlete's,all the best to you.
    lol?
    My Madcow Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136450181

Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tom Bro is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134647881

Sponsored by nutrition warehouse. www.nutritionwarehouse.com.au

jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jmt92 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by PlaySmart View Post
    Timing matters, and timing doesn't matter.

I'm sure there are numerous studies proving both, and each with their own set of biases I'm sure.

In short, do what you can, if you feel like eating every 2 hours will help you, by all means do it. If you feel like eating a box of pasta before and after workout, and a snickers during, do it.

I personally can't eat every 2 hours, and I usually eat something small before my workout, and usually a meal after, otherwise I'm shaky and exhausted. I am still gaining strength, so I think I'm fine.
    this.

I eat 4-6 times a day, depending on if i train or not, and get a lot of ffod in, good whole foods, and maybe 2 shakes at most. I hit my nutritional needs and then some normally. 4-6 meals is just easier than 2000 calories in one meal sometimes lol.
    We the type of crew, to get fresh just to sit in the living room.-Bill O'Reilly

Kuchi Kopi Alliance

BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10) BrianLD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Read about it, study it a bit.....everything from broscience to da shi* backed up with studies and percentages, with years of research backing it. Then use that pool of information to start guiding your own diet. As you learn+experience more, you'll find out what works best for you. Here's what works for me.

I usually drink half a full serving of Serious Mass while I'm lifting, especially if it's been a long day. I really like ending a workout feeling full, then an hour or 2 later getting something else to eat.

Lately I've been bulking, but I usually eat 2-3 meals a day and drink at least a gallon of water, some milk and some soda or other sugar drink. Completely random if I have big meals or small and I eat fruit and veggies as snacks constantly. When bulking, I just throw whatever high calorie, high protein, high carb stuff I can into my mouth. If I don't eat 'till I feel sick, I tend to not put on any weight.

SarahRishelle is not very well liked. (-100) SarahRishelle is not very well liked. (-100) SarahRishelle is not very well liked. (-100) SarahRishelle is not very well liked. (-100) SarahRishelle is not very well liked. (-100) SarahRishelle is not very well liked. (-100) SarahRishelle is not very well liked. (-100) SarahRishelle is not very well liked. (-100) SarahRishelle is not very well liked. (-100) SarahRishelle is not very well liked. (-100) SarahRishelle is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by PlaySmart View Post
    Timing matters, and timing doesn't matter.

I'm sure there are numerous studies proving both, and each with their own set of biases I'm sure.

In short, do what you can, if you feel like eating every 2 hours will help you, by all means do it. If you feel like eating a box of pasta before and after workout, and a snickers during, do it.

I personally can't eat every 2 hours, and I usually eat something small before my workout, and usually a meal after, otherwise I'm shaky and exhausted. I am still gaining strength, so I think I'm fine.
    Please don't eat a snickers at the gym that's just mean! lol

calzaghe82 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1- Not like you would follow it to the tee even if someone gave you a "correct" answer. so why waste time bothering
    2- I doubt it matters as long as long as you get pwo carbs and a protein shake and maybe a snack before taking your preworkout.
    3-It definately wont hurt gains to eat everything you can before and after(provided its somewhat clean)

aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000) aclockworkoi is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Twice this chit thread got raised from the dead