vsmith2012 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Burn fat or build muscle first??

I am new to bodybuilding and I was wondering: should I burn off the fat before I start building muscle? I am currently around 30% body fat, and for my height and weight (5'7" and 200 lbs) I believe that I should lose about 50 lbs before I'll even be able to begin to see the muscle that I am building. So should I work on losing the fat first?

swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swindled has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by vsmith2012 View Post
    I am new to bodybuilding and I was wondering: should I burn off the fat before I start building muscle? I am currently around 30% body fat, and for my height and weight (5'7" and 200 lbs) I believe that I should lose about 50 lbs before I'll even be able to begin to see the muscle that I am building. So should I work on losing the fat first?
    I think a cut would be beneficial for you, but keep in mind that doing a cut and building muscle aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. If lifting weights is something that is new to you your body will adapt by building muscle at the same time that you are losing weight due to upping your calories burned.

A good cut will let you know what muscles you need to develop more and will also let you see how physically balanced your body is, that way when you do a bulk you know which muscle groups you need to target in order to balance your physique more.

Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    You can burn fat and build muscle. Doing both cardio and weights and watching your diet will be helpful

Originally Posted by vsmith2012 View Post
    Sarah- NASM CPT

Weighed 245 LBS after having 2nd child in April 2006
    BodPod Results:
    August '09 33.7% Body Fat at 178 lbs & down to 22.9% body fat at 151 lbs in September '11

twirlyfry is on a distinguished road. (+10) twirlyfry is on a distinguished road. (+10) twirlyfry is on a distinguished road. (+10) twirlyfry is on a distinguished road. (+10) twirlyfry is on a distinguished road. (+10) twirlyfry is on a distinguished road. (+10) twirlyfry is on a distinguished road. (+10) twirlyfry is on a distinguished road. (+10) twirlyfry is on a distinguished road. (+10) twirlyfry is on a distinguished road. (+10) twirlyfry is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would make building muscle a priority. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn while at rest. Lift weights that are challenging to you, do cardio and eat clean and you can't go wrong!

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If it were me, I would choose fat loss as my primary goal. My first year, my main goal was fat loss, but I was able to build a decent base at the same time.

gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by thepowerwithin View Post
    If it were me, I would choose fat loss as my primary goal. My first year, my main goal was fat loss, but I was able to build a decent base at the same time.
    ^^This. I've been working at fat loss for the last 7 months and have seen significant gains in strength and muscle size. You can do both and at 30% bf, I'd make my focus fat loss. Once you get to a lower number, then you can decide if you want to bulk.

roshfit has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thought i'd throw my opinion in too...i recommend also that you focus primarily on losing fat. you'll feel great!
    JNL fan forever! Believe!

My modest workout journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139736173

NIKKIM13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NIKKIM13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NIKKIM13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NIKKIM13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NIKKIM13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NIKKIM13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NIKKIM13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NIKKIM13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NIKKIM13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NIKKIM13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) NIKKIM13 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by swindled View Post
    I think a cut would be beneficial for you, but keep in mind that doing a cut and building muscle aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. If lifting weights is something that is new to you your body will adapt by building muscle at the same time that you are losing weight due to upping your calories burned.

A good cut will let you know what muscles you need to develop more and will also let you see how physically balanced your body is, that way when you do a bulk you know which muscle groups you need to target in order to balance your physique more.
    thiss^