Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User closetspacefull's Avatar
    closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wow, Just started Ketogenic Diet... My initial take.

Its insane. I've always been able to diet the weight away on a low calories high protein diet (coupled with lifting and running), but its always been a tough ride with constant hunger pangs.

Just tried the ketogenic diet and while its only my 3rd day, I'm amazed that I don't suffer from hunger pangs even when I'm only taking in 1500-2000 cals. I'm tracking my food and wow, its amazing how stuffed you get from 120g of salmon cooked with olive oil and a slice of cheese on top. It keeps me full for hours when my previous 400-500 cal "balanced" diets left me starving after an hour. I actually have to force myself to eat to keep from going to far below maintenance.

In fact, I had to force myself to eat yesterday night so I got my protein intake to 150g. Complete appetite satiation. I'm still having problems with getting enough fats though. All the food I'm eating seems to be more protein than fats... (Salmon, Beef, Chicken, etc...) I got some cheese and was surprised at the high protein content in blue cheese. Stupid me thought cheese was all fat.

I did alot of read-up before embarking on the keto diet, and honestly, Atkins nearly turned me off because he came across as a hocus pocus witch doctor. Then I read Good Calories, Bad Calories and while it is a little biased (obviously) I liked that he referenced studies that I could look up. Then I trolled the internet and looked for people who had problems with Atkins/Keto and I realized most of the morons who had problems were idiotically stuffing themselves with way too many calories (Atkins should never have said eat as much as you want. While fats result in satiation, some people can still take it to extremes). It doesn't take a genius to figure out that even if u're eating just fats/proteins, taking in nearly 6000 calories and above a day is going to result in serious issues.

As for Kidney issues, I'm restricting protein to less than 180g which is what I consumed earlier when lifting and drink lots of water (slightly above 6L every day).

Anyway, I intend to stay on Atkins until I reach single digit bodyfat, then adjust back to a more moderate carb intake. I can't imagine staying off fries for the rest of my life, but I think a ketogenic diet is a really easy way to burn off the fat lbs. I'm lucky that I don't really have much carb cravings. A steak with cheese is so awesome. Plus if I'm starving for something sweet, blue cheese is so cloyingly deliciously sweet.

(;`ー´)o/ ̄ ̄ ̄~>°)))彡 Mulloway69's Avatar
    Mulloway69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mulloway69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mulloway69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mulloway69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mulloway69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mulloway69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mulloway69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mulloway69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mulloway69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mulloway69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mulloway69 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Shots of olive oil is how I made up my extra fats OP, cheap and easy.
    01110011 01101000 01101111 01110010 01110100 01110101 01110010 01101100 00101110 01100001 01110100 00101111 01100110 01101111 01000101 01010011 00111000

closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) closetspacefull has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mulloway69 View Post
    Shots of olive oil is how I made up my extra fats OP, cheap and easy.
    Yeah, I was thinking about that too. Maybe have two scoops of caesin mixed with olive oil for a quick fix to get the fat and protein cals in. I'm down with drinking most things (never had an issue with whey flavor, its just down the gullet for me) but I'm having a few qualms about something so oily though.

But like I said, I'm just freaking amazed at the appetite satiation caused by this diet. I'm a guy who loves to pig out and binge, and can easily knock back two pizzas, then have pasta or eat enough fried rice to serve a party of four. Then I try keto and this 250g of chicken with broccoli and hot sauce makes me so stuffed.

If I had fries with that same piece of chicken (chicken chop and fries) I would probably be stuffed but then hungry in an hour or so. Its really true that carbs induces hunger.

Well, anyway, I think the keto diet has another firm believer in me. I was so skeptical last time, but 3 days is all that took to convince me. I'll just be abit more careful and schedule a regular full physical in 2 months to just make sure nothing under the surface is going wrong.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by closetspacefull View Post
    its amazing how stuffed you get from 120g of salmon cooked with olive oil and a slice of cheese on top. It keeps me full for hours
    notsureifsrs.... 120g salmon? that's like 1 mouthful

I'm serious. I know 120g is a small slice. I used to eat 200g-300g slabs in one shot, but with cheese on top, it actually takes me some time to eat, and I savor each bite. Plus I still feel full.

Just for comparison I'm 5ft 10inches and weigh just under 200lbs. Maybe its a bit psychological with just transitioning into a new completely different diet, but still, its amazing. Hunger Pangs was always my biggest problems on previous cuts.

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Just a little bit of salmon fills me up too. I keep a can in the fridge for snacks.

Agree on Olive Oil, great for adding fats. So is Coconut Oil.

You wanna really freak on no appetite? Try intermittent fasting with keto. When I was doing that I just did not get hungry. I was always the guy who would get cranky and start chewing peoples heads off if I went 8 hrs without food, but on IF/keto, I'd routinely go 15 plus hours without eating and not being hungry at all. I once went over 24 hours just out of curiosity to see if I could, and I was barely hungry then.
    Part of my transformation here - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149287533

Going to buy meat by the kg. Got a great deal on Australian Grass-fed Sirloin and Tenderloin.
    But sigh... I'm getting sick of eating now.

Weird. Its not carb cravings or anything. I just don't feel like eating at all. I look at eggs/meat/cheese and go meh.
    Cooked Eggs + Chicken Franks drizzled with tobasco sauce and red pepper (I'm a spice fiend) yesterday night and had to force myself to swallow every bite.

Also passed by some restaurants reeking of cooked food and it actually made me a bit nauseous. Same with fast food.
    Just no appetite at all.

On the other hand, my workouts have been alright. Strength losses are there, but still can run my 4 mile at the same steady pace. Push-ups, Pull-ups, 10-15% lower weight bench, military press, squats, lunges, etc all ok.

Other than food and some strength losses, I feel good. Again, just weird about the appetite thing. It'll make it easy to stick to the diet as I can just shovel the macros in, but I get absolutely no delight from food which is a whole new experience for me.

Hope it isn't a sign of something going wrong.

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hope it isn't a sign of something going wrong.
    Doubtful. You're just a few days in and going through the adjustment period. Some people call it "induction flu". It's the first time in 31 years you're actually burning the fuel that you're naturally supposed to. When you're fully adjusted everything should be a LOT better.
    Part of my transformation here - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149287533

Just starting day 13. So far during my induction have gone under 20g of carbs every day other than a couple where I hit the 20s. Surprising that broccoli and other green leafies can push me over the limit so easily. Not stressing too much. I've recovered enough strength that I can hit the weights at the same intensity before starting this diet.

Weight has been sliding off like butter though. On the scales I went from 92kg -> 87kg. As most people say, probably mainly water weight. Pants have gone from difficult to fit into 34s to having some leeway at 32s. Although the quads are tight which has always been a problem. Friends have commented on weight loss on face. No acne at all (sometimes when I go through low cal, for some strange reason I have an occasional breakout).

My appetite has gone to hell in a basket though. Some days I struggle to get my caloric intake up to 1500-1800. A couple of days I just went **** it and got my protein requirement and stayed at 800-1200 cals. I know its not doing wonders for my metabolism but screw it.

Waiting for day 14 so I can get some carbs into my diet. Had some bad cravings a few days ago but coke zero took care of it.

I think I'm always going to use keto when I'm cutting now. Its so much more painless than going low cal with a "balanced" 40-40-20 diet. And I've realized I'm saving a fortune on eating out. No more $100-$200 sushi or steak dinners now. My $80 meat purchase has lasted me 10 days and I've still got enough left for the rest of next week. And this includes 5 sirloin steaks, streaky bacon, smoked salmon, cheese et all. In fact, I'm surprising myself being able to cook. (I've never cooked in my life).

clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've found that flax oil taste better then olive oil when taken straight.

Has sort of a nutty taste to it.

03SVT_COBRA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 03SVT_COBRA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 03SVT_COBRA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 03SVT_COBRA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 03SVT_COBRA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 03SVT_COBRA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 03SVT_COBRA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 03SVT_COBRA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 03SVT_COBRA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 03SVT_COBRA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 03SVT_COBRA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you guys are gonna be doing shots of straight oil, you may as well use coconut oil since it is by far the best tasting.

Originally Posted by 03SVT_COBRA View Post
    If you guys are gonna be doing shots of straight oil, you may as well use coconut oil since it is by far the best tasting.
    ^^ Definitely that. It's likely the healthiest (Lauric Acid) and best for energy (MCTs) too.

clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) clank72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 03SVT_COBRA View Post
    Not a bad idea. Putting it on my food list now.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's much better than not bad. It's awesome.

Of course, I am a bit biased though. I think of coconut oil as a treat because it tastes so good.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Kithra is just really nice. (+1000) Kithra is just really nice. (+1000) Kithra is just really nice. (+1000) Kithra is just really nice. (+1000) Kithra is just really nice. (+1000) Kithra is just really nice. (+1000) Kithra is just really nice. (+1000) Kithra is just really nice. (+1000) Kithra is just really nice. (+1000) Kithra is just really nice. (+1000) Kithra is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your 5'10 just under 200lbs eating 1500 - 2000 Cals a day.. Do you feel way under maintenence ? or no ?

Originally Posted by Kithra View Post
    Your 5'10 just under 200lbs eating 1500 - 2000 Cals a day.. Do you feel way under maintenence ? or no ?
    Not really sure what you mean by "feel way under maintenance..."
    As in do I feel hungry? No.

I'm lifting the same weights before I did Keto and while I'm not going to win any prizes, and I'm sure I could lift harder if I absolutely pushed myself, I'm still just benching around 220lbs.

I also like cardio, and run at least 4-5km a day maybe 5 or 6 times a week. Sometimes 8-10km if I'm feeling in the mood. I know I'm running quite a high deficit, but it feels alright and I don't feel run down. On longer runs, I usually drink some BCAAs before heading out but since I finish most runs within an hr, I don't think there's too much of a catabolic effect. I've found I can't sprint the last 800m as hard as I usually do, but other than that, I don't feel much of a difference. Then again, I've been changing my running style and switching from heel strikes to ball landing and running on treadmills barefoot so that could be a reason too.

DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Congrats on the Keto success.

It really is great to be able to burn the fat and not have to fight through hunger pains.

I've throughouly enjoyed living as a carnivore these past several months. Night and day difference in the way I've felt compared to deficit living, much improved fat loss / muscle gain. It's like magic.

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
    I've throughouly enjoyed living as a carnivore these past several months. Night and day difference in the way I've felt compared to deficit living, much improved fat loss / muscle gain. It's like magic.
    Fat loss and muscle gain??

Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    Fat loss and muscle gain??
    Yeah, the body can do both. Take a look at his progress pics.

ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000) ananf72 is just really nice. (+1000)

Originally Posted by Blackjack68 View Post
    Yeah, the body can do both. Take a look at his progress pics.
    In noobs or people using celltech

You can gain muscle thus reducing bf%

Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
    Congrats on the Keto success.

It really is great to be able to burn the fat and not have to fight through hunger pains.

Damn! 6 Foot 5 and 346lbs. They grow 'em big in Georgia!!! Props for being a beast. Can I ask what level of carbs you're on or are you on CKD or TKD?

mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I can attest to the gain while losing phenomenon also!

So far lost 17lb and seem to be in the midst of a whoosh, dropping a lb every 2 days, yet my lifting has improved and managed to add a couple of kilo to each dumbell that I bench (no bars in my gym for some reason...)

Met up with some people that I hadnt seen since I started my lifting/dieting, and they were amazed at the change in me. Much slimmer, a LOT bigger across my chest shoulders and arms.

I started at 238lb with approx 25% bf, 6 foot 4, so I believe that having a massive excess of stored energy as fat is a factor in being able to do both at the same time.

Originally Posted by mattward1979 View Post
    So far lost 17lb and seem to be in the midst of a whoosh, dropping a lb every 2 days, yet my lifting has improved and managed to add a couple of kilo to each dumbell that I bench (no bars in my gym for some reason...)
    Strength gains =/= muscle gain

mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10) mattward1979 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    True, but the tape measure does not lie!

chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    As for Kidney issues, I'm restricting protein to less than 180g which is what I consumed earlier when lifting and drink lots of water (slightly above 6L every day).
    Good job op. But could you please explain the kidney issues? Is that an issue with the keto community as a whole, or just yourself? I'm new to this.

Originally Posted by chickeneater View Post
    Good job op. But could you please explain the kidney issues? Is that an issue with the keto community as a whole, or just yourself? I'm new to this.
    There isn't a kidney issue with keto. I think (leaving room for correction from him) that chickeneater was just referring to high protein intake in general as it can cause problems for people that don't have normally healthy kidney function.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have never seen any documented evidence of kidney or liver damage from high protein in healthy people.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

FFMI = 24

To answer, I've read some papers that talk about high protein causing kidney issues with people who already have pre-existing problems in that area. Now as in alot of things, there's no definitive study that says excessive protein will cause any issues in healthy people, but I just believe in playing safe.

Unless you're a hardcore performance athlete who will probably have much more knowledge than I ever will, I'll just stick to the sub 250g protein limit that the body can process and drink lots of water. Don't drink until you have water poisoning, but I think 1-2 gallons a day won't hurt anyone and it even has an effect of resting metabolic rate (especially if you drink it cold) so why not? Its not like tap water is expensive unless you live out in Africa or something.

To my knowledge there is NO study that says that at all much less a definitive one. If there is one, I'd love to see it.

Also, what 250gr limit?

FFMI = 24