Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

How to start powerlifting

Really want to get into it but curious what the training , preparation and sacrifices you must make to be successful at the sport

Also Is the training always done alone and or is it like a group thing where your trained by somebody using correct technique and what not .
    Ka0s :In my experience, doing heavy barbell squats, bench presses, deadlifts, military presses, rows, etc. builds no significant muscle mass.
    What you need to really get big is a solid routine which focuses on light weights and cable movements to really force blood into those muscles and get that deep burn & powerful contraction

Stunt Professional WhiteKnight4U's Avatar
    WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Uhh, youtube "so you think you can bench" and "so you think you can squat" good videos on powerlifting form of the squat and bench, done by some of the strongest powerlifters in the business.

Also, I don't have much info, but there is a powerlifting subsection in the bodybuilding.com forums. Look for that and you'll get better answers.
    "If death is victory; how afraid of life can we be?"
    "In order to be brave or courageous, you must first be consumed with fear, for a person who is not afraid cannot be brave."
    Invert Y-axis crew

Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Icons93 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by WhiteKnight4U View Post

Also, I don't have much info, but there is a powerlifting subsection in the bodybuilding.com forums. Look for that and you'll get better answers.
    Why didn't i post in that section xD ? Neverleaveteensection much ? cheers
    Ka0s :In my experience, doing heavy barbell squats, bench presses, deadlifts, military presses, rows, etc. builds no significant muscle mass.
    What you need to really get big is a solid routine which focuses on light weights and cable movements to really force blood into those muscles and get that deep burn & powerful contraction

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    OP you can get pretty far on your own (at least to intermediate level)

Just run Starting Strength and eat a lot, keep milking that until you can no longer progress every workout, then run MC 5x5 a few times

By that point you should be at 400/300/500 ish lifts and well on your way

PL is a lot cooler than BB'ing in that you dont have to dedicate your life to it. You can lift a few times a week, eat a lot, and get very strong while living your normal life (as opposed to say contest prep for a BBer where you have to obsess over diet, cardio, etc etc)

Uhh, youtube "so you think you can bench" and "so you think you can squat" good videos on powerlifting form of the squat and bench, done by some of the strongest powerlifters in the business.

I'm not sure if these videos are the best examples of form for a beginner raw lifter

Stunt Professional WhiteKnight4U's Avatar
    WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Ka0s View Post

I'm not sure if these videos are the best examples of form for a beginner raw lifter
    Do you have better ideas I could reccommend in the future? and why not
    "If death is victory; how afraid of life can we be?"
    "In order to be brave or courageous, you must first be consumed with fear, for a person who is not afraid cannot be brave."
    Invert Y-axis crew

Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Ka0s is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Do you have better ideas I could reccommend in the future? and why not
    Not specifically, I know the entire Squat-RX series is good

And lettuce be reality, no one raw squats like that, and several of the techniques discussed of the bench video are clearly aimed at geared lifters

ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ptwa9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just start posting on TBB about how to put on mass. Should get you started.

SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SportbikerKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    oh gawd i hate the stupidity on this forum. dude just disreguard anyone on this forum and google it

Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've also always wondered if I really need to get coaching. Im sure I could find one of I tried, but as a beginner in the sport I assume that just running a beginner program and making sure my for is good should be fine
    Best lifts to date/goals by July 2013 (ALL RAW)

Squat: 200kgx1 /200kgx1 (goal achieved)
    Bench: 120kgx1 / 130kgx1, 102.5kgx15
    Deadlift: 235kg x 1/ 240kgx1
    OHP: 80kg x1/ 90kgx1

Over All Goal - Elite wilks total in the open age group
    **Registered volume addict**
    **SCARED OF IPF JUDGES CREW**

TWITTER: @The_Lifting_Doc
    YOUTUBE: TheNumber2Jersey (videos of my lifts can all be found here)

babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Powerlifting, more than anything, is about the community and comraderie.

Best thing you can do is find a group of dedicated lifters and train with them as often as you can. Also begin competing as often as you can, non of this 'I'm not strong enough' bull****, just get on the platform, make your rookie mistakes early on, and get to know people.

There is no community in the world like it. It's the biggest difference between powerlifting and bodybuilding, one is a happy awesome community, the other is narcissistic half starved cranky asssholes rubbing tan.

SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by babylover View Post
    powerlifting, more than anything, is about the community and comraderie.

Best thing you can do is find a group of dedicated lifters and train with them as often as you can. Also begin competing as often as you can, non of this 'i'm not strong enough' bull****, just get on the platform, make your rookie mistakes early on, and get to know people.

There is no community in the world like it. It's the biggest difference between powerlifting and bodybuilding, one is a happy awesome community, the other is narcissistic half starved cranky asssholes rubbing tan.
    ffffffffffffffffffffffff

Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Homanator has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Powerlifting, more than anything, is about the community and comraderie.

Best thing you can do is find a group of dedicated lifters and train with them as often as you can. Also begin competing as often as you can, non of this 'I'm not strong enough' bull****, just get on the platform, make your rookie mistakes early on, and get to know people.

I wish I could fine a people to PL with. The sport isn't really big here so it's hard to find anyone.

babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) babylover is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Homanator View Post
    I wish I could fine a people to PL with. The sport isn't really big here so it's hard to find anyone.
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/south-africa

Lol, you just blew my mind. Why the hell doesn't google come up with this?

Edit: pretty gay the nearest PL gym is an hour and a half drive :-/

Originally Posted by Homanator View Post
    Lol, you just blew my mind. Why the hell doesn't google come up with this?

Edit: pretty gay the nearest PL gym is an hour and a half drive :-/
    \

Is it possible that you make the trip once a week?

Train at your regular gym, but just getting in an aroundd the community once a week is essential. Also give them a call about up coming meets. YOu will be lifting with the IPF which is a very high standard of lifting, strict judging etc so read up on the rule book.

\

Is it possible that you make the trip once a week?

Train at your regular gym, but just getting in an aroundd the community once a week is essential. Also give them a call about up coming meets. YOu will be lifting with the IPF which is a very high standard of lifting, strict judging etc so read up on the rule book.
    Yes definitely, we have a new high speed train between Johannesburg and Pretoria that gets you there in like 30 minutes. I'll definitely call them up and contact them.

Do you know what kind of weight is being pushed by guys in IPF? I'd like to know what to gauge myself against.

(sorry for thread jacking Op)