X44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

pull up alternative exercises?

I just wanna ask to you guys what are the exercises that are best and have same results like pull ups?
    What are the alternative exercises for pull ups? (same effect)
    - right form with less reps, good. right form with more reps, BEST. -

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by X44 View Post
    I just wanna ask to you guys what are the exercises that are best and have same results like pull ups?
    What are the alternative exercises for pull ups? (same effect)
    Lat pulldowns; I doubt that the effect is precisely identical, but I think it's about as close as you can come to doing a pull-up without actually doing a pull-up.

If you can't do a bodyweight pull-up, then a band assisted pull-up might prove useful for gaining the strength needed for doing unassisted pull-ups. Some gyms have weight assisted pull-up machines too.

If you have the reverse problem of bodyweight pull-ups being too easy, you can use a dip belt or a weighted vest to add to your bodyweight when doing pull-ups.

(I'm wondering about the reason for this question... Do you lack a pull-up bar? Are bodyweight pull-ups too easy? Or too hard? Or something else altogether...?)
    Last edited by KBKB; 11-04-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Lat pulldowns; I doubt that the effect is precisely identical, but I think it's about as close as you can come to doing a pull-up without actually doing a pull-up.
    I would challenge anyone to find 2 movements with fewer differences or more similarity than a pull up and lat pulldown. This would be interesting.

X44 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by KBKB View Post

If you can't do a bodyweight pull-up, then a band assisted pull-up might prove useful for gaining the strength needed for doing unassisted pull-ups. Some gyms have weight assisted pull-up machines too.

If you have the reverse problem of bodyweight pull-ups being too easy, you can use a dip belt or a weighted vest to add to your bodyweight when doing pull-ups.

(I'm wondering about the reason for this question... Do you lack a pull-up bar? Are bodyweight pull-ups too easy? Or too hard? Or something else altogether...?)
    i just have a barbell and dumbbell no pull up bar and lat pull down machine so how am I gonna exercise the lats same with the pull ups?
    - right form with less reps, good. right form with more reps, BEST. -

Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coke_Zero will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Buy a doorway pull-up bar (something like this http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Fitnes...0633144&sr=8-3). They are relatively cheap and is a start, unless you can bolt a better fixed bar into your ceiling.
    Go big or go home!

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can hang upside down, and do upside-down upright-rows.
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    I would challenge anyone to find 2 movements with fewer differences or more similarity than a pull up and lat pulldown. This would be interesting.
    Pull-ups with your knees tied to your chest, and your feet anchored to keep your back straight, and the lat pull-down.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    i just have a barbell and dumbbell no pull up bar and lat pull down machine so how am I gonna exercise the lats same with the pull ups?
    Do as Coke_Zero suggested: get a pull-up bar.

Gymnastic rings are another possibility. Rogue Fitness sells some rings with straps that are portable. Just find a convenient branch, ceiling joist, etc from which to hang them, and you can do pull-ups, dips, and a lot of other exercises too. See: http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-rings.php. (Note: They're kind of expensive. A doorway-mounted pull-up bar will be more cost effective.)

If neither of those are options, do barbell bent over rows or the equivalent using dumbbells. This exercise works the lats, though not in quite the same way as pull-ups.

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The doorway pull up bars are nice if they fit in your doorway. If you live in an apartment there's a chance you have doors that are too wide or have large frames.

If you have "normal" doorways then the doorway pull up bar is the best option. You could look into mounting your own pull up bar somewhere. Or you could buy a cage with a pull up bar attachment, a wise purchase to make regardless of the pull ups or not.

You can always do rows if none of the above will work. I suggest rows from the floor with the barbell.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    People's advice about getting a doorway bar for cheap is good, but I am your father and had some additional advices for you.

Vertical pulls work the shoulder extension through a nice big RoM (like 180 degrees) there is a way using weights to simulate this in a doable fashion by combining 2 moves.

Pullovers work them in the stretched position, and rows work them in the shortened position. With their powers combined, they're captain lat-its.

Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    You can hang upside down, and do upside-down upright-rows.
    True, 1-arm handstand + 1-arm rows ftw.
    Originally Posted by GeneralSerpant View Post
    Pull-ups with your knees tied to your chest, and your feet anchored to keep your back straight, and the lat pull-down.
    Since that's a kind of pull up, I already said it. Though I'm not sure what you mean by anchored feet. Surely the knees are not fully to the chest in lat pulldowns, isn't it something more like 90 degrees of flexion?

tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    walk to the nearest play ground,do some pullups.its what i do on the weekends,walk to my daughters school playground.

Originally Posted by tomsfish View Post
    walk to the nearest play ground, walk to my daughters school playground.

Seriously though, if you don't actually have a kid in school, you should not lurk around playgrounds alone. If you must, get together a group so you can vouch for each other's innocence, like the Bar-Barians do.

tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tomsfish is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post

Seriously though, if you don't actually have a kid in school, you should not lurk around playgrounds alone. If you must, get together a group so you can vouch for each other's innocence, like the Bar-Barians do.
    well like i said in my entire post,i walk to my kids school on the weekends.so there are not any people,let alone kids around.

RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You can rig something that will support your BB for pullups - I think there are instructions or a link in the DIY Sticky of the Powerlifting section.

Might even be able to hang the bar from hooks mounted in the ceiling of the garage (or from chains/ropes attached to hooks).

If none of that is possible and you have a squat cage/rack, you can do fat man pullups with your BB racked - kind of the reverse of a push up. Hang from the bar and leave your feet on the floor, then pull your chest to the bar, repeat.
    No shoes, no shirt, and I still get service.