ALLBIZNISS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Allergic to Whey and something in carbs?

I will try to make this as brief as possible... I think I may be allergic to Whey and or grains and something in carbs. Yikes!!

Why... I have had allergies since I was a kid. They seem to have gotten a little better over the years. I normally try to follow a moderate carbs diet with mainly complex carbs.

I have done low carb or keto in the past but this last time I noticed something different.

I was one Keto from Sept through almost the first part of October. I always battle with having less stremgth while on it though, so I decided to switch up my diet a bit and start incorporating some complex carbs like brown rice, sweet potatoes, and oatmeal. I also started back drinking my Whey Protein (Champion Nutrition Banana Scream).

Almost immediately I noticed that my allergies started going crazy. I was sneezing, throat very itchy, and my sinuses would get swollen and very dry. Then the post nasal drip started in which causes almost a sore throat. My muscles were also a lot more sore after a workout and my joints were sore... like normal.

It dawned on me that over the last month I hadn't had any allergy symptoms at all. So I started monitoring my symptoms a bit, and seems within about 30 min after I ate some oatmeal here came the sneezing and symptoms. Same with brown rice. I have been taking 2-4 scoops of whey protein too almost every day post workout and for another meal.

This morning I wasn't sneezing but about 20 minutes after I drank my Whey my right nostril started getting inflamed and I could feel the sinus pressure starting.

I have worked out off and on for years and also did low carb but never made the connection. Over the last years I have had many test (hormone etc...) complaining of fatigue, mild depression, head and neck pressure, muscle soreness and allergies. Nothing ever comes up. I came to the conclusion that maybe it was adrenal fatigue.

It may also explain why when I eat carbs I get very lethargic, and generally do not feel good when eating t hem after.

I don't know if it is gluten, grain, a protein allergy or whey.

This happen to any of you or something similar? What did you do? Any at home test?

I did some research and here is what seems to be happening.

"An allergic reaction to carbohydrates occurs because your immune system mistakes the carbohydrate as a dangerous substance. Although the carbohydrate may be harmless, your body reacts to it the same way it would to a viral or bacterial infection. Your immune system creates certain proteins called IgE antibodies, short for immunoglobulin E, according to the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. These proteins are designed to recognize the carbohydrate when it enters the body, and to fight it off. The release of IgE antibodies causes mast cells in the body to produce histamine, one of the primary chemicals that lead to food allergy symptoms.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/358774-carbohydrate-allergy/#ixzz1cfgdlWSM"

Other sites have said the same. Basically the body releases Histamine which causes the allergic reaction and inflammation of soft tissue. In extreme cases such as those that are allergic to bee stings the histamine restricts air flow too much and the only thing to help is an injection of adrenaline. When your body releases adrenaline to counter act the histamine in can drain your adrenal glands so you don't have much left in the tank.

This sounds right because I use to feel miserable and even now, the only thing that seemed to help is when I went to the gym... hence...adrenaline. After I got done working out the allergy symptoms are still there but a bit less. I have tried taking Zyrtec lately and it seems to help a bit.

What are your thoughts. My "Dr. House" diagnosis seem right.

Next steps?
    Last edited by ALLBIZNISS; 11-03-2011 at 12:27 PM.

spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...scle-gain.html

Not a ton of information but may be relevant.

Try eliminating whey and grains and slowly add them back in so you know which one it is.

Oh, and srsly talk to an allergist. With allergic responses you really never know what the extent of the reaction will be, despite what it usually is. Dont want to end up with an anaphalactic reaction (not likely, just saying.)
    What's Spicy Training For?? LIFE MOTHER F-ER!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155227363

♚ Elected V.P. - R/P ♚ sawoobley's Avatar
    sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) sawoobley has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    See a doctor and get a proper diagnosis.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sawoobley View Post
    See a doctor and get a proper diagnosis.
    This, they can do a food allergy panel. Problem solved.
    2 time survivor of The Great Misc Outages of 2022

Survivor of PHP/API Outage of Feb 2023

rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rhizome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's time to get on dat der paleo diet bitches minus the warrior whey

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Go see a doctor.

Originally Posted by ven33 View Post
    Go see a doctor.
    I don't have insurance right now.

I may have to take the long approach of going back to essentially meat and veggies for a few weeks and then trying one at a time to incorporate whey, low carb tortilla, almonds, starch to see which one it is.

I may try to see if there is an allergist that isn't too expensive that will do an out of pocket test.

Originally Posted by ALLBIZNISS View Post
    I don't have insurance right now.

I may have to take the long approach of going back to essentially meat and veggies for a few weeks and then trying one at a time to incorporate whey, low carb tortilla, almonds, starch to see which one it is.

I may try to see if there is an allergist that isn't too expensive that will do an out of pocket test.
    Just a follow up. I don't think I am lactose intolerant as I can eat cheese including cream cheese. But I don't drink milk much at all. Perhaps the Whey all of sudden is cause it as well.

These are basically my symptoms:

Sinus Reactions

The sinus cavity becomes inflamed and swollen, leading to a myriad of sinus symptoms. One of the first symptoms that develops in the sinuses from a whey protein allergy is nasal congestion, according to MayoClinic.com. As the sinus cavity swells, it cuts off the ability to breathe or drain mucus properly. Sinus congestion will also result in sinus pressure pain felt throughout the head. A runny nose may develop, along with postnasal drip, a condition where extra mucus drains down the back of the throat. Excessive sneezing may occur, leading to more sinus irritation.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/26...#ixzz1chqp2Kcf

teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10) teequlah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    go see a real doctor or even better google your symptoms, google is basically a virtual doctor these days

spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spicyprice has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by teequlah View Post
    go see a real doctor or even better google your symptoms, google is basically a virtual doctor these days
    This is one of the more idiotic things I have heard these days. Google replacing a medical degree.... no, just.no.

OP, If you cant get to a doctor, I would think it be most wise to avoid the things you THINK are causing it. When you have insurance again, get tested and appropriate therapy. Also, keep some benadryl around just in case, preferably the disolvable kind.
    What's Spicy Training For?? LIFE MOTHER F-ER!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155227363