MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Different rep ranges for different muscle groups?

When it comes to hypertrophy, do different muscle groups have different rep ranges they respond to better?

For example, higher reps for legs/arms, lower reps for chest.

Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    in on mind boggling question

nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000)
    What i could catch from other people talking is that legs respond best with high frequency low volume training (i.e. squatting), i think it's because those are the biggest muscles. Also, smaller muscle groups respond better to higher volume, i've read countless times about 3-rep calf raises being dumb as ****.

//Stupid to listen to me.

avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000) avodo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    This only applies to abs. You must do over 100 reps to effectively train them.

MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyDylz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by avodo View Post
    This only applies to abs. You must do over 100 reps to effectively train them.

I thought that was only for cutting? lol

MirinMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) MirinMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) MirinMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) MirinMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) MirinMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) MirinMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) MirinMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) MirinMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) MirinMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) MirinMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) MirinMan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here's an article on TNation about it.

Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Qwestions has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by nainchik View Post
    What i could catch from other people talking is that legs respond best with high frequency low volume training (i.e. squatting), i think it's because those are the biggest muscles. Also, smaller muscle groups respond better to higher volume, i've read countless times about 3-rep calf raises being dumb as ****.

//Stupid to listen to me.
    Isnt it the other way around, you sure brah?

Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yes.
    https://www.instagram.com/brunobastos_93/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCshN_nywHWNFH836xZ7VjtQ?view_as=subscriber

The Midnight Milkman juicydanglers's Avatar
    juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) juicydanglers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ive read that calves respond better to high reps whilst hamstrings respond better to lower reps, not sure bout the others though

in the past ive gone on the basis that the harder the exercise or the longer the body is under contraction for each rep, the less potential reps you need to really stimulate the working muscles

i.e. deadlifts low reps

something like bicep curls....higher reps

i havent been doing it long enough to really have a personal experience of how successful its been but its a diff way of looking at things
    They said you were done!

they said you had no chance!

will you sacrifice to win?

ectomikey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ectomikey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ectomikey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ectomikey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ectomikey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ectomikey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ectomikey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ectomikey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ectomikey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ectomikey is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ectomikey is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by MyDylz View Post
    I thought that was only for cutting? lol
    he's trolling...you don't even have to train abs. deadlifts, squats, pullups all pretty much train your abs anyway lol..

nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000) nainchik is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Qwestions View Post
    Isnt it the other way around, you sure brah?
    Nope, i weigh 155, i can't be sure

Originally Posted by ectomikey View Post
    he's trolling...you don't even have to train abs. deadlifts, squats, pullups all pretty much train your abs anyway lol..
    lol I know brah.

Originally Posted by Bruno93 View Post
    Yes.
    Bruno, how is that in the slightest way helpful? You say "Yes.", it obviously means you know something on the topic. Why not elaborate and actually give me an insightful answer?

Originally Posted by MirinMan View Post
    Here's an article on TNation about it.
    .... I'm waiting.

Stunt Professional WhiteKnight4U's Avatar
    WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yes and no, it depends.
    "If death is victory; how afraid of life can we be?"
    "In order to be brave or courageous, you must first be consumed with fear, for a person who is not afraid cannot be brave."
    Invert Y-axis crew

DerekLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekLove is on a distinguished road. (+10) DerekLove is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Rep ranges for WHAT?

Let's take Calves/Forearms/Abs out of this entire discussion for now.

If you are training for Strength, you will find the 3-6 rep range ideal for the best strength gains based on lifts themselves.

Squats , Bench , Deadlifts, Rows, even Bicep Curls and Skullcrushers in those rep ranges based off your 1RM % will increase strength wise.

If you are training for Size, and focusing on Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy, the ideal rep range is higher, aka 7-12,and sometimes even 15. This goes for Biceps,Triceps,Hamstrings,Quads,Medial Delts,Front Delts,Traps,basically anything you got.

Don't forget though, that slight Sarcoplasmic & Myo Hypertrophy occur no matter what kind of training or rep range you do, the results just won't be as ideal if you focus on one or the other. Also, too many newbs think "Oh, well Sarcoplasmic occurs when I do the 7-15 reps! So I will start with that "

Brb guy benching 85 pounds for 12 reps.

Should always build the strength foundation before changing to Sarcoplasmic based training.Due to newb gains,you will blow up in size @ the beginning regardless,and your strength will skyrocket.

IMO the whole 2 plate bench/3 plate squat/4 plate dead/2-2.5 plate Row is not even a good standard to go off before starting to Bodybuild.

I'm going for the 3 plate bench/4 plate squat/5 plate dead/3 plate Row before hand,just so I have tons of strength before switching to sarcoplasmic based training; however I do my arms with High Rep Range, and same with Medial Delts etc...because those I don't care about for strength, only size ;D

As for Calves,Abs...anybody who says you need to do very high reps, or only very low reps are all retarded.

You don't need 50, and you don't need 5.

Go for like 8-15, you will see what they respond best to. For me, it was always the 10-12 rep range with heavy ass weight.

sb8160 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sb8160 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sb8160 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sb8160 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sb8160 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sb8160 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sb8160 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sb8160 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sb8160 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sb8160 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) sb8160 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    tnation has an article about it, i remember hamstrings are low reps, hammer curls are low reps, cant remember others, check out tnation article.
    Bulkin For Life

Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000) Bruno93 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MyDylz View Post
    Bruno, how is that in the slightest way helpful? You say "Yes.", it obviously means you know something on the topic. Why not elaborate and actually give me an insightful answer?
    Yes as in yes, different rep ranges affect different muscle groups differently. That's mainly due to the fact that some muscles have more slow twitch fibers than fast ones, and vice versa. I think it also differs from person to person, so I'd just try every kind of rep range for each muscle, and figure out which one will give you the best gains.
    https://www.instagram.com/brunobastos_93/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCshN_nywHWNFH836xZ7VjtQ?view_as=subscriber

Originally Posted by DerekLove View Post
    Rep ranges for WHAT?

If you are training for Size, and focusing on Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy, the ideal rep range is higher, aka 7-12,and sometimes even 15. This goes for Biceps,Triceps,Hamstrings,Quads,Medial Delts,Front Delts,Traps,basically anything you got.
    Thanks for the info, in the OP I said in the case of hypertrophy. So, in your opinion, to maximise size gains the rep range 7-12 is superior no matter what the muscle group?

Originally Posted by Bruno93 View Post
    Yes as in yes, different rep ranges affect different muscle groups differently. That's mainly due to the fact that some muscles have more slow twitch fibers than fast ones, and vice versa. I think it also differs from person to person, so I'd just try every kind of rep range for each muscle, and figure out which one will give you the best gains.
    Thanks brah. So it differs for everyone. Do you have any ideas on which muscle groups typically have more fast twitch fibers? And for the groups with more fast twitch, are higher or lower reps suitable?

jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    hai guiz, can any1 recommend a gud strength routine for my forearmz, rhomboidz, and soleus???
    PM me for workout advice Ladies
    * Conservative Crew *
    ❤King Brady Bearer of the 6 Rings Crew❤
    BvB
    *Bigger chest than female miscers Crew*
    *Team Putin*

Stunt Professional WhiteKnight4U's Avatar
    WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WhiteKnight4U is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jbball92 View Post
    hai guiz, can any1 recommend a gud strength routine for my forearmz, rhomboidz, and soleus???
    Clean n jerk.
    "If death is victory; how afraid of life can we be?"
    "In order to be brave or courageous, you must first be consumed with fear, for a person who is not afraid cannot be brave."
    Invert Y-axis crew

ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ShakeJUNT23 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by WhiteKnight4U View Post
    Clean n jerk.
    i think u mean jerk n clean...

jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jbball92 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ShakeJUNT23 View Post
    i think u mean jerk n clean...

but I want to train my forearmz, rhomboidz and soleus' for strength bro! how many reps should I do???
    PM me for workout advice Ladies
    * Conservative Crew *
    ❤King Brady Bearer of the 6 Rings Crew❤
    BvB
    *Bigger chest than female miscers Crew*
    *Team Putin*

spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000) spiderman997 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes for various reasons. For example, the calves respond better to higher volume because the calcaneal tendon actually absorbs a large brunt of the stress when you work calves, so it requires a larger volume of stimulus for the calves to actually respond and grow. Then you've got the obvious things like larger muscles can deal with more frequency and volume, etc.

SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000) SamSix is just really nice. (+1000)
    i prefer going heavy and in the 4-6 rep range on your 3 compound lifts; bench, deadlift, and squats and going in the 10-12 rep range for curls, incline db bench, lat pull downs, etc
    Last edited by SamSix; 11-03-2011 at 08:42 PM.
    Master total
    S: 585
    B: 370
    D: 605