superdave4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superdave4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superdave4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superdave4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superdave4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) superdave4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Budget Newbie Equipment SL5x5

Hello, I browsed around a little bit, but it would help to get a straight answer or two.

I'm a new lifter, completely new to gyms, I just started this year and I'm 26.

I wanted to start StrongLifts 5x5 or Starting Strength to begin with. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on some budget equipment for a Home Gym.

I'd like to spend less than 600$, lower if possible, but I want my equipment new. I'm going to keep it the rest of my life, might as well make sure it's new, fresh, and has a warranty. I saw the Sticky and it recommended craigslist and ebay. I'm uncomfortable with these unless they are a last option. This will be a big purchase and I do not want to get scammed with faulty equipment.

So, could I please get some recommendations for:

A budget power rack, barbel/weight set, and any other minor things I might need to complete newbie months of SL/SS.

Much appreciated, thanks for reading!

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    So, you disagree with the sticky that has the general recommendation of the forum but yet you want a recommendation from the forum?

Just kidding, sort of...honestly your money will go much further buying used, and when you're looking for a power rack, bench, bar, and plates craigslist is a very reasonable place to look. These are items that are difficult to damage without serious negligence or incompetance, so the used version will usually functions just as well at half the price. If you're unsure of the value of deals you are considering, you can get a fair appraisal from the group by posting specific deal options.

As far as the cheapest new power rack that will do what you want...I think it might be the powerline from jessups gym, although others may post a better deal. ~$320 delivered and would be fine for your purposes.
    http://www.jesupgym.com/products.php?cid=13

For flooring, look for a local tractor supply company or else google 'tack and feed'. Horse stall mats come as 4'x6'x 3/4" rubber mats at ~40-50 bucks at most a piece. Put two of those next to each other and your rack on top.

Buying a bar and plates new will be pricey if they are shipped...can't recommend anything. If you insist on new AND cheap, probably wait it out until a local sporting store has a 300 lbs set for sale for 300 or less.

I'm not sure what the best new, cheap bench is...

All in all, to get higher quality stuff for less you do need to look for used.

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can pick up olympic sets at Dicks Sporting Goods or Sports Authority for around $150 and even less depending on the time of the year. Looking into Powerline racks which are under $300. You can probably pick up a serviceable flat bench for under $150 which should be enough to get you started. I really think you're going to end up replacing things in the long run with craigs list finds that are much much nicer and cheaper. I've bought several things on craigs list that were Body Solid, Paramount, or PowerTec that I've had parts replaced using their lifetime warranty. I've never been questioned about receipts or anything like that. Body Solid asked me where I bought an item and I gave them the name of an out of business fitness equipment store (The Fitness Experience) that was in my area several years ago. I can understand wanting new stuff but keep in mind most of the used stuff can be bought for pennies on the dollar and look like it's never been used. For your $600 initial investment you can find lower end new stuff that will get the job done for years to come or you can buy used stuff that will last you forever.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) twodog has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Dick's is the best place, generally, for a cheap oly set (right now they are $180) and they had a great Black Friday deal @$129 (?) last year, so you may want to wait for that. Their rack is decent for the money (regular $299 and $239 w/ a 20% off coupon) and you can check it out and pick it up locally.

As far as CL is concerned, you get the same stuff for around 50% off most of the time, and it's sometimes like brand new and hardly used. Warrantees are greatly overrated on weight sets, racks, and benches as the are either good or they're not.

Good luck.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do, than by the ones you did" Mark Twain

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats" H. L. Mencken

[]---[] Equipment Crew #42 []---[] ()---() York Barbell Club #18 ()---()

alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by superdave4 View Post
    Hello, I browsed around a little bit, but it would help to get a straight answer or two.

I'm a new lifter, completely new to gyms, I just started this year and I'm 26.

I wanted to start StrongLifts 5x5 or Starting Strength to begin with. I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on some budget equipment for a Home Gym.

I'd like to spend less than 600$, lower if possible, but I want my equipment new. I'm going to keep it the rest of my life, might as well make sure it's new, fresh, and has a warranty. I saw the Sticky and it recommended craigslist and ebay. I'm uncomfortable with these unless they are a last option. This will be a big purchase and I do not want to get scammed with faulty equipment.

So, could I please get some recommendations for:

A budget power rack, barbel/weight set, and any other minor things I might need to complete newbie months of SL/SS.

Much appreciated, thanks for reading!
    LoL
    Brazilian Crew [<O>]
    Keto(since 11/11/2011)

jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000) jammyo40 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    New or used, a 45 lb plate weighs 45 lbs, is made of metal, and has no moving parts.
    The more that you read, the more things you'll know.
    The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.

Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149723023

PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Your issue, as others are pointing out, is that you only have $600 and yet you want brand new equipment. That would be equivalent to me saying I have $5000 and I want an absolutely brand new car. The money is good, but still not enough to pay for what you're describing.

First thing: warranties aren't going to last you worth crap. Basically, if there's a problem with something you get, return it to where you bought it, or claim a warranty on a part. Otherwise, you're likely not going to have any problems until it's too late. Your items will come with a 30 day warranty, or maybe a 1 year warranty if you're lucky. The only two things I have with lifetime warranties are my Hoist bench, and my Powerblock dumbbells: those are both rather expensive items. My power rack has a 1 year warranty, my olympic barbell doesn't really have a warranty at all (other than from manufacturer defaults upon delivery), etc, etc.

Buying used is superior in two ways:
    1) You get to inspect the gear right there and then. If there's a defect, you'll see it.
    2) The gear is cheaper.

Point #1 eliminates the need for a warranty. Point #2 makes it worth not having the warranty: you could buy two of a given item on craigslist for the same price you might have to pay for that item new. Pretty decent savings.

Now, there's no problem with buying new at all. You want to have this stuff last a lifetime, and you want it to be new when you get it; that's perfectly okay. You should, then, increase your budget to at least $1400. Here's the reason: Your squat rack will cost you $550 approximately, your barbell is going to cost you $140 for something decent and basic, your bench will run you at least $300 for anything with a good weight limit, and your weight plates will run you at least $300 to start (for 300 or so pounds). Then there's s&h and taxes if you need to buy online.

You say you want your stuff to last for a lifetime, so you'd be better off spending the extra $100-$150 on your barbell and getting a quality one. The same goes for a bench: an extra $100 or so on a bench would again mean much higher quality. When it comes to the power cage, you pretty much need to start spending $1000 or more to start notching up in the quality level there too.

I personally wouldn't expect a $550 power cage to last a lifetime if someone is really using it for some heavy powerlifts, and giving it a beating like that. I would expect it to last a very long time (many years), but not a lifetime. It would end up being worth the $$$ you spend on it many times over though, so there really is no worry there.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by superdave4 View Post
    I'm going to keep it the rest of my life.....

.......A budget power rack, barbel/weight set...
    You're at cross-purposes here. If you plan to 'keep it the rest of your life,' buying the cheapest stuff new is the wrong way to go.

Give me a beat-up-looking BodyMasters or Parabody power rack over a brand new el cheapo budget rack any day.

As you have already been advised, either buy higher-quality (read, more expensive) new equipment (especially the FID bench), or, if you're stuck at your $600 price point, start scouring craigslist. What you're buying are essentially not much more than pieces of metal; other than the bench, there aren't any wear-prone moving parts that will cause you problems, providing you buy good-quality stuff. Personally, a "warranty" is the last thing I'd worry about when buying equipment; I just go by the manufacturer's reputation.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) alphagorilla has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Red face

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    You're at cross-purposes here. If you plan to 'keep it the rest of your life,' buying the cheapest stuff new is the wrong way to go.

Give me a beat-up-looking BodyMasters or Parabody power rack over a brand new el cheapo budget rack any day.

As you have already been advised, either buy higher-quality (read, more expensive) new equipment (especially the FID bench), or, if you're stuck at your $600 price point, start scouring craigslist. What you're buying are essentially not much more than pieces of metal; other than the bench, there aren't any wear-prone moving parts that will cause you problems, providing you buy good-quality stuff. Personally, a "warranty" is the last thing I'd worry about when buying equipment; I just go by the manufacturer's reputation.
    could of had not said better, also, im a proud owner of a parabody squat rack. got squat rack weights(500lb) barbell bench and the pully attachment on craigslist for 700bucks. buy it used. new is a waste, these things wont break in the next 100 years or even forever if you take care of it. also, some of the weights i got had rust, so i just simply took it out and spray painted some black.

Deadliflt platform was not included, that was hand made by me lol, this is what you will need for madcow5x5 or any other program out there. one thing i like about my gym, the barbell actually weights 45lb. my old gym had 30-38lb barbells, (i weighted them b4 i left commercial gym to my home gym)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by alphagorilla; 11-04-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    Brazilian Crew [<O>]
    Keto(since 11/11/2011)