IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Baseball Players

Any baseball players feel like sharing some routines? I'm always looking to improve my pitch+bad speed. Mainly bat speed, I've got my technique perfect so I'm just looking to put a bit more power behind my hits. I do workout regularly on pitching and batting speed, mostly just seeing what other types of workout routines I could try.

kr0wbar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just focus on the major lifts.

Bench
    Squat
    Deads
    Rows
    Shoulder presses

Probably not what you were looking for, but being overall stronger is technically your main goal.

Promax Nutrition Athlete BlackoutTrainer's Avatar
    BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    For bat speed I would do things that help you get your hands to the ball faster. Using the cross-cables or something that allows for a similar motion as "the swing." Also working the forearms with make your power at contact much stronger. Use a behind the back wrist curl to up the forearm strength. That along with explosive leg movements(ie power clean or a tire flip) will add speed and strength to both your batting and pitching. Hope these suggestions help.

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BlackoutTrainer View Post
    For bat speed I would do things that help you get your hands to the ball faster. Using the cross-cables or something that allows for a similar motion as "the swing." Also working the forearms with make your power at contact much stronger. Use a behind the back wrist curl to up the forearm strength. That along with explosive leg movements(ie power clean or a tire flip) will add speed and strength to both your batting and pitching. Hope these suggestions help.
    I would not mimic your swing .... that is asking for problems. Get stronger, do more bp with your normal bat and you will be fine.
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!

Promax Nutrition Athlete BlackoutTrainer's Avatar
    BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BlackoutTrainer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jgood View Post
    I would not mimic your swing .... that is asking for problems. Get stronger, do more bp with your normal bat and you will be fine.
    You don't think movements that would strengthen the trunk rotation would be beneficial? Help me out with why you think this.

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BlackoutTrainer View Post
    You don't think movements that would strengthen the trunk rotation would be beneficial? Help me out with why you think this.
    I said "I would not mimic your swing" ... did not say med ball tosses from the side, rotational ab work or things similar would not help but do not mimic the swing path/plane because that will destroy your muscle memory in a heartbeat.
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!

LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LiftToLive19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Never do barbell bench. Terrible stress on your rotator cuff and it impinges it. Do dumbbell press instead.

Anything that is explosive will more than likely benefit you.

I was actually a D1 college baseball player for a few years...

IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) IamBrady has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LiftToLive19 View Post
    Never do barbell bench. Terrible stress on your rotator cuff and it impinges it. Do dumbbell press instead.

Anything that is explosive will more than likely benefit you.

I was actually a D1 college baseball player for a few years...
    Should I go light weights for the dumb bell presses ? Or should I take any weight training on chest out and do push ups and other chest excercises like that ?

And jgood , how would it kill muscle memory rather than build it ?

Sorry for double post BUT , would band work be beneficial as well ? If so would anyone be able to show me which excercises are good for it , I do warm up my rotator cuff with the band but I rarely do strengthening with it.

Your bat is not 5lb+ is it? You will start to compensate and develop pulling off the ball because you have to work too hard for the heavy weight. Just a simple push/pull alternation on each exercise for upper/lower is really alls you need for about 5-6 exercises per workout. The rest is up to your skill training/practice and obviously a couple ab exercises. Also do band work after upper body workouts at the least and a couple more times per week if you can. Not really rocket science but the amount of reps will be based on how you respond.
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!

coyy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Heres what I use, program I made few months ago for the college I play for,

Exercise Sets X Reps Set 1 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4 Set 5 Rest

Monday: Upper

Clap Push Ups 5x6 2 minutes
    Hang Clean (from knees) 3x5 2 minutes
    Power Shrug 5x3 2 minutes
    Diamond Push Ups 4x5 2 minutes
    Tricep Push Down 4x6 2 minutes
    Front/Side Shoulder Raises 3x5 2 minutes
    BB Curl 2x12 2 minutes
    MedBall Twist 4x25 2 minutes

Tuesday: Lower

Squat 4x5 85% 1RM 2 minute
    Pro Shuttle 5 sets 1 minute
    Lunge Hops 5 sets 1 minute
    High Box Jump 36' 3x5 1 minute
    1 Step Verticle Jump MEDBALL 4 sets 1 minute
    60-Yard Dash 3 sets 1 minute
    40-Yard Dash 2 sets 1 minute
    20-Yard Dash (Backpedal) 4 sets 1 minute
    BackPedal Buttkicks (10-yrd) 3 sets 1 minute

Thursday: Upper

Barbell Bench Press 5x12 70% 1RM 3 minutes
    Bent Over DB Fly 3x6 2 minutes
    Alternating Incline DB Press 3x6 2 minutes
    Lat Pull Down (Wide) 4x6 2 minutes
    Tricep Overhead Press 5x6 2 minutes
    DB Alternating Curl 3x6 2 minutes
    DB T/W/Y Shoulders 3x6 2 minutes
    Plank Front/Side/Side 3x30's each

Friday: Lower

Low Box Speed Hops 18' 4x8 2 minutes
    5 dot drill(figure 8 both feet) 3x30 seconds 2 minutes
    DB Jump Lunges 4x5 2 minutes
    Lateral Step Ups 5x6 2 minutes
    BW 360 Squat Jumps (L/R) 5x4 2 minutes
    TipToe Weighted Walking 3x30 seconds 2 minutes
    DB deadlifts 4x5 2 minutes
    bench: 335
    squat: 225x72, 455x6
    dl: 465
    hangclean:285
    Pro Shuttle: 4.018 seconds
    60 yard dash: 6.83
    Currently 215lbs

Originally Posted by coyy View Post

BB Curl 2x12 2 minutes

the 2 minutes... is the rest for each set
    Currently 215lbs

Only question I have is the barbell bench press , I've been told to avoid any barbell excercises due to the stress put on the rotator cuff. Not really a big deal as I could substitute the BB bench with DB instead, but what's your opinion on the rotator cuff stress ?
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/force-factor/force-factor.htm <----- Don't think , just click
    http://www.forcefactor.com

Originally Posted by IamBrady View Post
    Only question I have is the barbell bench press , I've been told to avoid any barbell excercises due to the stress put on the rotator cuff. Not really a big deal as I could substitute the BB bench with DB instead, but what's your opinion on the rotator cuff stress ?
    the barbell bench is in there not for strengthening but manly just for ROM and mobility, doing that light of a weight shouldnt hurt you at all, its just looked as bad if you barbell bench heavy weights, dumbbell is fine to do though aswell, I do both just depends on the week, at my school I dont not have very large dumbbells so to get stronger i lean more into the barbell area.

hope this helps
    Currently 215lbs

Alrighty , so as long as im pumping out 12 reps without pain i should be fine ? I may substitute for dumb bells anyway because where I work they go up to 115 , chances are I'll never reach that amount.
    Indeed it helped though , I was going to do an upper , lower , core each day as a routine so that works perfect. I'll give it a try and see if I notice any improvements in the coming weeks , I'll probably make a log of some sort.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/force-factor/force-factor.htm <----- Don't think , just click

I Do It On My Own xxsupergman25xx's Avatar
    xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000) xxsupergman25xx is just really nice. (+1000)

BB Curl 2x12 2 minutes

this is pretty darn good!
    http://forms.aweber.com/form/85/1635053985.htm - Newsletter!

Posts are my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.
    -----------------------------------
    Baseball insane

-----------------------------------
    i do it all on my own

Yea you should be fine with dumb bell or barbell, at my school we only go up to 125 and I can do those so thats main reason I went back to 12 rep barbell.

good luck
    Currently 215lbs

Yea you should be fine with dumb bell or barbell, at my school we only go up to 125 and I can do those so thats main reason I went back to 12 rep barbell.

good luck
    Perfect , i'll probably base my routine 90% around yours with minor tweaks to help me with whatever position I finally choose to stay in , thanks a ton !

Also , I'm not 100% sure how to do the Y/T/W , I'm pretty sure I know the Y and T but as for the W I have no clue ! D:
    Edit #2: Is the rest between each SET or each EXCERCISE ? Got myself confused by reading it too many times haha !
    Last edited by IamBrady; 11-15-2011 at 10:54 AM.

the W is a back rear delt fly, so bend over with your back flat to the ground and think about pulling your scapular unit together, feel the pull in the rear delts and lats

for rest the 2 minutes is just a baseline, you can increase or decrease the rest as you want but i would always stay around 30s to 1m for rest and for your major lifts use 2 minutes for rest.

hope this helps
    Currently 215lbs

Perfect , I used to do those once in a while ! Thanks a lot for the help , hopefully I'll progress to your lifting level soon enough !

I'll probably keep the rests around a minute for time saving , but definitely I'll need 2 minutes for some of them like power shrugs. Thanks for all the help !

no problem
    Currently 215lbs