MeepoTwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MeepoTwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MeepoTwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MeepoTwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MeepoTwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MeepoTwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MeepoTwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MeepoTwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MeepoTwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MeepoTwin is on a distinguished road. (+10) MeepoTwin is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Strategically drinking alcohol to stay in ketosis?

Hello everyone,

I understand after drinking alcohol, it is metabolized as acetate. Since acetate cannot be stored, and is considered by the body to be a poison, it is metabolized with the highest priority. This means that all other macro nutrients in the blood will be stored, since the alcohol is being utilized for energy.

With this logic in mind, if I eat carbohydrates while intoxicated, the body will not begin the process of using carbohydrates for energy because of the alcohol's acetate is currently being processed. This means the carbohydrates will directly be stored without initiating the glucose pathways.

Does this mean I can stay in keto even after consuming carbs and sobering up since the glucose pathways never began? I do understand alcohol does have an excess amount of calories, and the calories of the carbs still count. But the question is will you stay in ketosis afterwards?

I feel like it doesn't work this way, but at the same time, the logic seems to somehow work.

Assuming the first few statements regarding metabolic processes are correct, does this mean you can use alcohol to stay in keto because you never utilize the glucose pathways?
    (I apologize for the lack of sources, I cannot find them at the moment)

Thanks in advance

Pending Reconditioning toast.tm's Avatar
    toast.tm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toast.tm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toast.tm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toast.tm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toast.tm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toast.tm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I see where you are coming from and I have been drunk and stayed in Ketosis but...

The body would switch from using Ketones as fuel to the fuel from the alcohol - ethanol?? So if this was the case then when that runs out (you sober up) it will look for the nearest available fuel (the carbs you ate that haven’t yet been processed) so you would need to get into ketosis again.

If you drink beer then your eating carbs with the alcohol.

Sorry this is not a proper answer.

When I am on Keto I drink slim line Tonic (diet) with Gin and have stayed in but didnt eat carbs.

I love drinking but to be honest, drinking on keto sucks.
    Last edited by toast.tm; 11-02-2011 at 03:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Lol.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

divor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why would you say drinking on keto sucks?

Football Mercenary Football_Bill's Avatar
    Football_Bill will become famous soon enough. (+50) Football_Bill will become famous soon enough. (+50) Football_Bill will become famous soon enough. (+50) Football_Bill will become famous soon enough. (+50) Football_Bill will become famous soon enough. (+50) Football_Bill will become famous soon enough. (+50) Football_Bill will become famous soon enough. (+50) Football_Bill will become famous soon enough. (+50) Football_Bill will become famous soon enough. (+50) Football_Bill will become famous soon enough. (+50) Football_Bill will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Drinking on keto is cheap! A shot or two of Jack with a side of Diet Coke and I am good. Be VERY careful with alcohol while deep in keto, no/low blood sugar!
    "No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable" - Socrates 400BC

65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

www.keto.org
    www.hannenhealth.com/keto.htm

airton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Football_Bill View Post
    Drinking on keto is cheap! A shot or two of Jack with a side of Diet Coke and I am good. Be VERY careful with alcohol while deep in keto, no/low blood sugar!

Yeah be careful about letting your blood sugar fall too low, about a week ago I learned the hard way. After a night of gin and tonics at a friend's birthday party, the next day I started to experience all of the symptoms of hypoglycemia, except I didn't know that's what is was. But I knew something was wrong so I went to the doctor, and they quickly figured out what was up. And if it happens again now I know how to deal with it.

But at the time it was freaking me out. so be very careful

toast.tm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toast.tm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toast.tm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toast.tm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toast.tm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) toast.tm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For me its not the same buzz like someone pointed out above you get drunk quicker and I think it feels like a drifferent type of drunk. Plus when I have a diet gin and tonic I want a beer afterwards.... and some kind of indian food

Cool

OP - I am willing to try this on the weekend in the name of Broscience!

I will get my body burning alcohol by drinking Gin then I will eat chinese food and I might drink some beer as using your theory the carbs wont effect me then?

I'll do it on Saturday then test Keto on Sunday.

Wish me luck.

tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000) tradertrader is just really nice. (+1000)
    gin and chinese food eh? you may be an evil genius.

you may also get closer to your toilet than ever before...

I didnt go down this route in the end. I had vodka then ate KFC then swiched to beer (6 bottles)... Was in keto the morning after!! No Joke! I didnt lose anything but didn't gain either!

DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DubfromGA has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tradertrader View Post
    gin and chinese food eh? you may be an evil genius.

you may also get closer to your toilet than ever before...

Agreed.

The taste of gin is enough to make me want to hurl.

I have had decent success with Tito's vodka & Sprite Zero earlier in my keto. It seems that drinking now will kick me out of it easier.

It sure doesn't take much either. Last night I really wanted to watch Monday Night Football. I had fantasy team players in the game and my match up this week is against a dude with an ego larger than you can imagine.

I enjoyed a six pack of light beer and two tequilla shots while easily winning.

I'll have to hit the cardio hard these next two days and go turkey, tuna and chicken only for a while.......gotta pay to play.
    I may look like Santa Claus.....but I'm feeling like Elvis...........