Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help Wanted: From Bodybuilders with Fibromyalgia

I have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I am very concerned at my recent loss of strength and stamina. My recovery between sets just doesn't seem to happen nor do I seem to recover between workouts. I was wondering what type of splits anyone on here with fibromyalgia has found to work best in regards to muscle recovery.

For anyone reading that doesn't know what fibro is:

A chronic disorder characterized by widespread musculoskeletal pain, fatigue, and tenderness in localized areas.

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Once upon a time I was diagnosed with fibro. Not saying this is the case with you, but it turns out my doctor was full of ****. Once I cut carbs out of my diet and lost weight, the chronic pain, swelling, and fatigue disappeared. I'm not saying that's an answer for you, you're obviously in pretty good shape, just suggesting you might explore some dietary changes and see if that has any effect. It could be worth a try, if it has no effect then no harm done.

iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iron11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Blackjack68 View Post
    Once upon a time I was diagnosed with fibro. Not saying this is the case with you, but it turns out my doctor was full of ****. Once I cut carbs out of my diet and lost weight, the chronic pain, swelling, and fatigue disappeared. I'm not saying that's an answer for you, you're obviously in pretty good shape, just suggesting you might explore some dietary changes and see if that has any effect. It could be worth a try, if it has no effect then no harm done.
    My diet couldn't be more spot on than it is now and has been this way since the beginning of the year. I eat nothing but organic fruit, organic vegetables, fish, eggwhites and some chicken...oh and raw nuts. Occasionally I'll eat some lentils or oatmeal maybe a few times per week. My macros are great. This is actually the best I've ever eaten. I hardly ever even cheat. Not out of being strict, I just don't have the urge to. I've been having issues for many years and have been trying different things, vitamins, minerals, supplements, less training, more training, no training. All to no avail. I would like to know what has worked for others as far as training goes because I've exhausted all methods to make it go away. The condition is there and it sucks. I just need to find the best way work with it. I'll crawl to the gym if need be!

MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MecGen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I can't help you with what your health, but I just thought I would give you a thumbs up on your results (avtar) sick or not you put 90% of women to shame.

+Karma

Originally Posted by MecGen View Post
    I can't help you with what your health, but I just thought I would give you a thumbs up on your results (avtar) sick or not you put 90% of women to shame.

+Karma
    Thanks. That was sweet.

zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100) zedx is not very well liked. (-100)
    I had cases of candida. Mostly initiated by drinking beer.

When I seen you say you eat fruit I thought of candida which is a precursor to what you have. It's worth a shot reading about if you wish,

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    can't help on the recovery aspect.

i've occasionally come across indications that creatine is helpful for a variety of neuromuscular disorders....including fibro...might be something to look into.

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi Iron. I have fibro. It is what got me into the gym -- I was so weak I couldn't do anything. I have done every split and routine imaginable, I think! I flare far less often now than before I started working out. But, like you, I stuggle with recovery and sometimes I hit the gym feeling as though I've been run over by a truck -- I am there on willpower but not by way of strength.

At the moment, I am doing 2 days on, 1 day off, and this seems to be working. I am the queen of supplements and spend a lot of time reading and researching. Oh, and I don't avoid carbs -- I eat tons of veggies and keep plenty of whole grains in my diet (brown rice and quinoa are staples); I also eat lentils and beans. I am not much on fruit - I eat apples, pears, strawberries, and the occasional tangerine, but I find that I can't eat a lot of fruit. Recently, I increased the carbs in my diet and I am feeling much better. Feel free to pm me if you want to chat more.

Originally Posted by zedx View Post
    I had cases of candida. Mostly initiated by drinking beer.

When I seen you say you eat fruit I thought of candida which is a precursor to what you have. It's worth a shot reading about if you wish,
    Actually, I do remember reading something briefly once about candida and its' symptoms. I will delve further into that. Thanks for bringing it up.

Originally Posted by boathead View Post
    can't help on the recovery aspect.

i've occasionally come across indications that creatine is helpful for a variety of neuromuscular disorders....including fibro...might be something to look into.
    I just read that on bb.com yesterday! Guess what's going in my pw shake today.

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you have been "diagnosed" with Fibromyalgia, I would seek other medical opinions. Fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion, which means it is a diagnosis given when no other answer fits the question. Fibromyalgia lacks any sort abnormalities upon examination and can not be objectively diagnosed.

There is a large body of evidence to suggest that Fibromyalgia is psycho****tic, and that the real issue is often stress, anxiety or depression.

In either case, increasing activity should ease symptoms, as exercise usually eases symptoms of stress/anxiety/depression. Consulting a psychologist or a psychiatrist may also be appropriate.

Originally Posted by ChocoChick View Post
    Hi Iron. I have fibro. It is what got me into the gym -- I was so weak I couldn't do anything. I have done every split and routine imaginable, I think! I flare far less often now than before I started working out. But, like you, I stuggle with recovery and sometimes I hit the gym feeling as though I've been run over by a truck -- I am there on willpower but not by way of strength.

At the moment, I am doing 2 days on, 1 day off, and this seems to be working. I am the queen of supplements and spend a lot of time reading and researching. Oh, and I don't avoid carbs -- I eat tons of veggies and keep plenty of whole grains in my diet (brown rice and quinoa are staples); I also eat lentils and beans. I am not much on fruit - I eat apples, pears, strawberries, and the occasional tangerine, but I find that I can't eat a lot of fruit. Recently, I increased the carbs in my diet and I am feeling much better. Feel free to pm me if you want to chat more.
    Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    If you have been "diagnosed" with Fibromyalgia, I would seek other medical opinions. Fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion, which means it is a diagnosis given when no other answer fits the question. Fibromyalgia lacks any sort abnormalities upon examination and can not be objectively diagnosed.

There is a large body of evidence to suggest that Fibromyalgia is psycho****tic, and that the real issue is often stress, anxiety or depression.

In either case, increasing activity should ease symptoms, as exercise usually eases symptoms of stress/anxiety/depression. Consulting a psychologist or a psychiatrist may also be appropriate.
    You are correct in that there is no definitive test to diagnose fibro, such as, as blood test or something of that nature. That, however, does indicate that it doesn't exist as a legitimate medical/physiological issue. And, yes, there is a large body of evidence that suggests it's psycho****tic.

Had I not experienced my increasing and cumulative symptoms over the past ten years I would've agreed that it was total b.s. However, I'm not depressed, anxious or anything of that nature. My life is great and have absolutely nothing to complain about. I've been lifting for the past twenty years. I"m ALWAYS active and have never been sedentary. I'm not looking to 'increase' activity. I do plenty. Lift heavy 4-5 times per week and do cardio as well 5 times per week. Let's not forget the yoga, stretching, dog walking, etc....

Gee, let me run out and see a shrink because my body is always sore all over and I'm tender to the touch everywhere.

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My wife has been struggling with fibromyalgia for several years now and I can assure you the effects are not "psycho****tic" as you so blithely and unsympathically assert. Her rheumatologist has confirmed immuno-suppressive issues at work with this disease that are very real and difficult to treat. I hope no one in your family ever suffers this "psycho****tic disease" as you so cavalierly assert. Thanx "Bro".

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by iron11 View Post
    You are correct in that there is no definitive test to diagnose fibro, such as, as blood test or something of that nature. That, however, does indicate that it doesn't exist as a legitimate medical/physiological issue. And, yes, there is a large body of evidence that suggests it's psycho****tic.

Had I not experienced my increasing and cumulative symptoms over the past ten years I would've agreed that it was total b.s. However, I'm not depressed, anxious or anything of that nature. My life is great and have absolutely nothing to complain about. I've been lifting for the past twenty years. I"m ALWAYS active and have never been sedentary. I'm not looking to 'increase' activity. I do plenty. Lift heavy 4-5 times per week and do cardio as well 5 times per week. Let's not forget the yoga, stretching, dog walking, etc....

Gee, let me run out and see a shrink because my body is always sore all over and I'm tender to the touch everywhere.
    Hi Iron,

Did you mean to copy me in this response? I'm definitely not saying that I think your fibro is psycho****tic!

67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000) 67fastback is just really nice. (+1000)
    I found when I got RA, the start of the disease was the worst. I changed my diet radically, but it looks like your diet is good.

One of my best "drugs" (because at times all my joints are inflamed) is swimming. It's low stress on the joints, and the cooler temperature of the water, tends to reduce inflammation quite a bit.

One of my best bits of advise, is to keep looking for something that works. Pay attention to how your body feels before and after exercise (usually I feel better after) Always "push the envelope." Don't let any disease determine your outcome. You must dictate how far you can go by your determination.
    Baby steps, and be persistant. Good luck
    I'm going to take the Sc0liosis curve out of my back and eliminate my nerve pain

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    My wife has been struggling with fibromyalgia for several years now and I can assure you the effects are not "psycho****tic" as you so blithely and unsympathically assert. Her rheumatologist has confirmed immuno-suppressive issues at work with this disease that are very real and difficult to treat. I hope no one in your family ever suffers this "psycho****tic disease" as you so cavalierly assert. Thanx "Bro".
    I don't know what your problem is, they asked for an opinion and I gave it. Instead of looking through the my post and trying to get something out of it, you chose to be insulted.

Sorry you're mad bro.

Fact.
    Fibromyalgia is a diagnosis of exclusion.

Fact.
    Fibromyalgia has no diagnostic measures.

Fact.
    Fibromyalgia reveals no abnormalities during examination.

All I suggested was that alternative resources be utilized before resigning yourself to a diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. All to often people accept a diagnosis from a medical professional regardless of the research conducted on the matter.

I am not implying that it IS a psycho****tic problem, only that it could be. I also believe that these symptoms COULD be part of a more severe condition. Seeing a mental health specialist shouldn't be taken as an insult.

My "opinion" is relevant to the topic, and a common belief among many medical professionals.

And yes, I have had people I care about suffer from Fibromyalgia. I urged them to get a second opinion. They where treated effectively with anti-depressants and activity.

I stand by my opinion that Fibromyaglia is code for "We don't know yet".

I apologize if alternative opinions were not welcome within this thread.
    Last edited by acrawlingchaos; 11-02-2011 at 08:12 AM.

Hi Iron,

Did you mean to copy me in this response? I'm definitely not saying that I think your fibro is psycho****tic!
    No, not at all! My mistake.

No, not at all! My mistake.
    You beat me to it! I just saw your pm and was coming here to remove my post.

I am not implying that this condition IS psycho****tic, only that it COULD be. I would also like to make it clear that I don't believe, nor ever suggested, that a psyhco****tic component suggests any sort of inadequacy in someone that suffers from them, or that psycho****tic disorders are "frivolous".

sec0107 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sec0107 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sec0107 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sec0107 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sec0107 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sec0107 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sec0107 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sec0107 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sec0107 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sec0107 is on a distinguished road. (+10) sec0107 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was diagnosed early this year.....what I've found in the last few months that help, LOTS of magnesium and creatine and HMB. Also...listening to my body, and knowing when to push...and when to back off (that's a hard one). Sometimes it's better to take a bit of time out...than take 5 steps back. Making sure I get enough sleep at night, that seems simple enough...but I have to be very strict and really make sure that that comes before all else.

You're doing amazing....you're avi is awesome! Good job.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am not implying that this condition IS psycho****tic, only that it COULD be. I would also like to make it clear that I don't believe, nor ever suggested, that a psyhco****tic component suggests any sort of inadequacy in someone that suffers from them, or that psycho****tic disorders are "frivolous".
    I understand your intentions from your subsequent posts and do not believe that you were ill intended. Depressions and other psycho****tic disorders can certainly manifest themselves physically. I appreciate you offering another avenue to pursue. If I felt I had any depressive or anxious tendencies, I would most certainly consult a psychologist. That would probably be an easier fix!

Originally Posted by sec0107 View Post
    I was diagnosed early this year.....what I've found in the last few months that help, LOTS of magnesium and creatine and HMB. Also...listening to my body, and knowing when to push...and when to back off (that's a hard one). Sometimes it's better to take a bit of time out...than take 5 steps back. Making sure I get enough sleep at night, that seems simple enough...but I have to be very strict and really make sure that that comes before all else.

You're doing amazing....you're avi is awesome! Good job.
    Chocochick gave me a list of supplements too. I will add your suggestions to hers. Geez, my supplement budget keeps going up! I agree, it is difficult knowing when to back off. Well hopefully utilizing some of the suggested supplements will help so I don't have to 'back off' very often.

Thanks for the compliment.

OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Chocochick gave me a list of supplements too. I will add your suggestions to hers. Geez, my supplement budget keeps going up!
    Hell of a lot cheaper than prescriptions. and"....you're avi is awesome!"

Choco's been at it a long time and her advice is well worth trying.

Originally Posted by OTH51 View Post
    Hell of a lot cheaper than prescriptions. and"....you're avi is awesome!"

Choco's been at it a long time and her advice is well worth trying.
    Actually, my insurance is great and only pay $7 per RX. Too bad they don't cover supplements! I've got tonight dedicated to researching and ordering the supplements she suggested.

Thanks for the compliment too.

momicon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I see this is an older thread but thanks for the discussion. I have fibro/CFS/gluten ataxia and I've been really struggling with recovery. I've been lifting tuesday/thursday/saturday but it's not working too well for me... thanks for the 2 on/1 off suggestion.

I've been thinking of trying creatine, it's something that's just come to my attention as a supplement for fibro. I started taking ribose a few months ago and it has really worked well for me. I take it every day and twice on workout days.

KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KLMARB is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    My mother was diagnosed with fibromyalgia two years ago. Now, she has totally alleviated it, due to nutritional modification. Elimination of grains/starches and addition of fats to the diet. Why do you think that fibromyalgia is the prime side effect of statin drugs?
    I'll take arrogance and the inevitable hubris over self-doubt and lack of confidence, anyday.......

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Never heard of it before this post. Sounds like it sucks. Best of luck to you.
    B: 285
    S: 375
    D: 555

Originally Posted by KLMARB View Post
    My mother was diagnosed with fibromyalgia two years ago. Now, she has totally alleviated it, due to nutritional modification. Elimination of grains/starches and addition of fats to the diet. Why do you think that fibromyalgia is the prime side effect of statin drugs?
    This, as stated before, I firmly believe that fibromyalgia is a phantom ailment, with some other issue being the primary cause.

It's nothing more than a blanket term when the true cause is unknown, just as CFS is.

Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Blackjack68 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    This, as stated before, I firmly believe that fibromyalgia is a phantom ailment, with some other issue being the primary cause.
    It's nothing more than a blanket term when the true cause is unknown, just as CFS is.
    Def true in my case.

MelodyTA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I know this is a bit late coming, and I hope you have found a way to deal with the Fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed with Fibro in 2006, and after 4 years of drugs went natural and within 9 months was pain free, and have been so since late 2010.
    The loss of energy, fatigue, pain, and other symptoms can go into dormancy. Fibro can go dormant. I did mine with natural oils, diet, and especially exercise, I know you are in great shape and exercise is the key. I was a kickboxer and was diagnosed and had to start at the exercise level of a 400 pound man who had never exercised a day in his life, I am now a runner, boxing, and doing mud runs, and this with having the Fibro. With all the main thing is pacing, dont go crazy on the days you feel good, and dont give up on the days you feel horrible. Dont get me wrong it is painful at first, but it is completly worth it, and it is possible if you have not done so already to get back to where you were, if you pace. If you want tips please feel free to contact me and I will send you what worked for me.