pixmakerdave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Trouble gaining muscle at age 45

I'm looking for some help with packing on muscle, I've been lifting seriously for over a year now, but the gains are slow, and I was wondering if I should do anything different. I use a powertec leverage machine along with curl bars, and 90 lb powerblock dumbbells. I lift 3 days a week Sunday: Chest 4 exercises of 4 sets each, Triceps 4 exercises of 4 sets each.
    Tuesday: Back 4 exercises of 4 sets each, Biceps 4 exercises of 4 sets each.
    Thursday: Shoulders 4 exercises of 4 sets each, Legs 3 exercises of 4 sets each.
    Calories per day around 2000 weekdays, more on weekends. Supplements: Muscletech protein powder 3 shakes on workout days and 1 on off days with creatine and L-glutamine. Also fishoil pills and glucosimine.

I use the powertec instead of a normal bench because I have no-one to spot me on the heavy stuff.
    I've went from 210 to 310 on my bench in just under 11 months.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks pixmakerdave

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Compound free weight exercises, doing them on linear progression even better. StrongLifts or Starting Strength are very good beginner programs.
    Squat
    Bench Press
    Rows/Cleans
    Overhead Press
    Dead lift

Find a gym, people will spot you.

noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) noexcusesleft has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by pixmakerdave View Post
    I'm looking for some help with packing on muscle, I've been lifting seriously for over a year now, but the gains are slow, and I was wondering if I should do anything different. I use a powertec leverage machine along with curl bars, and 90 lb powerblock dumbbells. I lift 3 days a week Sunday: Chest 4 exercises of 4 sets each, Triceps 4 exercises of 4 sets each.
    Tuesday: Back 4 exercises of 4 sets each, Biceps 4 exercises of 4 sets each.
    Thursday: Shoulders 4 exercises of 4 sets each, Legs 3 exercises of 4 sets each.
    Calories per day around 2000 weekdays, more on weekends. Supplements: Muscletech protein powder 3 shakes on workout days and 1 on off days with creatine and L-glutamine. Also fishoil pills and glucosimine.

I use the powertec instead of a normal bench because I have no-one to spot me on the heavy stuff.
    I've went from 210 to 310 on my bench in just under 11 months.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks pixmakerdave
    Ya, you're old, it will take time, i'm 10 yrs younger and seeing slow gains, slow and sure, it will come. Otherwise get your test levels checked.

OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000) OTH51 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by noexcusesleft View Post
    Ya, you're old, it will take time, i'm 10 yrs younger and seeing slow gains, slow and sure, it will come. Otherwise get your test levels checked.
    Who ya calling old?

He's still a young whipper snapper!

Real weights and compound exercises are the way to go.

Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Dencio has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    2k cal wont cut it (sounds more like maintenance)...try 2x that

OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) OutOfStep is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You're expecting rapid muscle gains on 2000 kcal/day? Lmao I really don't know what some of you guys are thinking. Do you think that your body manufactures muscle tissue out of thin air?
    "I'm a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm." -Iggy and The Stooges

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by OutOfStep View Post
    You're expecting rapid muscle gains on 2000 kcal/day? Lmao I really don't know what some of you guys are thinking. Do you think that your body manufactures muscle tissue out of thin air?
    Exactly! You really need to eat more. Preferably real food and less supplements!

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by pixmakerdave View Post
    If you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough.

Start here, and put together a real nutrition plan:
    *Emma-Leigh's calorie/macro thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=121703981

You'd do well to step away from the powders, and fill your protein needs with red meat and other tissue proteins instead.

^^^^This. If you want to look like a bodybuilder, you're going to have to consistently eat like one.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    agreed
    dial in your nutrition
    I eat more kcals than that when dropping weight

IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz IronCharles has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by noexcusesleft View Post
    Sounds like a convenient excuse for a lack of intensity, discipline, and a good training and diet plan.

"My gains are slow, must be my age.... yeah, that's it.... poor me..."

There are guys and gals here in their 60's that have crazy mass, shredded cuts, and or both. Check out what this guy has accomplished in his 60's. A world champion natural bodybuilder who is an inspiration to a lot of us. He didn't let age be an excuse, why should you, or I?
    ★DSC★
    ★MISC Cologne Crew★
    ★4200 cals a day crew★
    ★Squat Booty Sorority Fan Club★
    ★Forum Member #109,914,313★

► ► ►Dirty South Crew gear: https://www.zazzle.com/s/thedirtysouthlifts ◄ ◄ ◄ (Proceeds go to children's charities)

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by IronCharles View Post
    Check out what this guy has accomplished in his 60's. A world champion natural bodybuilder who is an inspiration to a lot of us. He didn't let age be an excuse, why should you, or I?
    Quoting ^^^^ this to make certain it doesn't get missed.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

ibidu1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ibidu1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ibidu1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ibidu1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ibidu1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ibidu1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ibidu1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ibidu1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ibidu1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ibidu1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ibidu1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    May also want to go do some blood work to see where your T levels are

kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kgartin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    ^^^^

I finally get this. I decided to say bump it and just eat with the goal of gaining mass (even at the cost of adding a little fat). Guess what? I've started to gain mass. My problem has been this fixation on keeping the fat away while still trying to gain muscle. I was defeating myself and going nowhere.

I'll lose the fat later