Registered User sunnysunshineRM's Avatar
    sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

A couple questions

1. I have a pretty bad balance and have heard that its not good to hold on to the treadmill because you are selling yourself short. However, I just can't let go of the treadmill. I can do it with one hand but without it my balance just falls all over the place. I also climb the stairs for cardio for the same reason though sometimes I try to do it with out grabbing the railing which is very difficult for me. Am I really selling myself short?

2. what's wrong with wearing jeans in the gym? I've seen people on the site talking about jeans like you shouldn't be wearing them when doing leg press or squats and so forth. So what's wrong with jeans?

Thanks
    2 timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It took me a while to get used to running on a treadmill without fear of busting @$$...and I used to do gymnastics which I guess means I'm supposed to have decent balance.

Jeans in the gym isn't a good idea because the rivets on the pockets tear up the leather benches.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are there other reasons for not wearing jeans?
    2 timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sunnysunshineRM View Post
    Are there other reasons for not wearing jeans?
    Most gyms don't allow members to wear jeans. Gym equipment is friggin expensive and the metal on your jeans ruins the leather, padding, etc...

You walk into a gym to train in a pair of jeans, sorry I'm taking you seriously at all...
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

With all due respect, I don't know what you mean by your comment? Are you saying I'm asking a stupid question? I am still learning....and how can I learn unless I ask questions? (sarcasm) or is that not allowed here.

Perhaps I should re phrase my question.

In terms of leg press and squats can wearing jeans hinder the exercises?

Damn, it's good to be me! thepowerwithin's Avatar
    thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thepowerwithin is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes. Jeans are tight and the fabric is not very pliable. You need to be able to move freely and have full range of motion.

I will say it is kind of bizarre that this isn't obvious to you. Why jeans to the gym?

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm with Kimm on this one. Why would you even consider wearing jeans to work out? No question is necessarily stupid but I also agree this seems obvious. You can't move as freely in a pair if jeans as you would in workout clothes. Especially for a leg or lower half workout. I see older people sometimes in jeans but they are obviously not in a gym for the same reasons you are
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    1. as long as you are getting your heart rate up, you are not selling yourself short. You should be working out at a level that makes you breathe hard.

2. Jeans? Um, in jeans if you sweat, you'll chafe, and stink because it doesn't dry out quickly, and it's not breathable, and it's not flexible for range of motion. You shouldn't work out in jeans at all. They do tend to wear out the vinyl on the seats too.

Plus, it's important to not look ridiculous when you are starting a new hobby. Try to fit in. That way you can make friends with the old pros, rather than have them laugh at you. Seriously. Part of doing something new is learning about what is "normal" for that activity - what is expected/required. It shows that you are serious about what you are doing and have respect for that activity.

I'm an avid hiker/mountaineer. When I run across people on the trail in jeans/flip flops/etc I can't help but roll my eyes. These are the ones who always end up running out of water/with blisters/lost.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

Ah thank you. My jeans never really felt tight or uncomfortable when I did squats. I used to wear shorts but to me they were to short. I don't like short shorts. I think by the time I started getting more intense and doing more squats and wearing jeans more often they were already too big. Eh well when I have the money ill buy sweat pants

Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femtex23 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ah thank you. My jeans never really felt tight or uncomfortable when I did squats. I used to wear shorts but to me they were to short. I don't like short shorts. I think by the time I started getting more intense and doing more squats and wearing jeans more often they were already too big. Eh well when I have the money ill buy sweat pants
    As far as the balance thing, maybe try an elliptical trainer? Most of them have moving handles that you can grip onto and pull on so your arms can get an okay workout as well. After you are used to it, you won't need them anymore and can run on the machine without holding onto anything. Plus they offer resistance, so you can challenge yourself a bit more with no impact on your knees.

My balance was always fine, but for someone who needs something to hold onto, those allow you to do so without the awkward bent-over stance that you get when you hold on to the bars on a treadmill, thereby allowing you to still move as naturally as possible.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    With all due respect, I don't know what you mean by your comment? Are you saying I'm asking a stupid question? I am still learning....and how can I learn unless I ask questions? (sarcasm) or is that not allowed here.

Perhaps I should re phrase my question.

Megdaig told you in her 2nd post why you shouldn't wear jeans to the gym. It tears up the padding and it cost the owners money to replace it. But you come back in wanting more reasons not to wear jeans? Are you friggin kidding me? You come off as being completely ignorant and disrespectful, like you could care less if the equipment gets wrecked by jeans or not.

There are many things that hinder progress, but holding treadmill railings and wearing jeans should be the least of your worries.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10) 2ndfloor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    OP, I think a lot of the previous posters have clearly and convincingly made a case for no jeans in the gym. We're all here to help. If you post a question, the average person here wants to help you out with the answer.

It sounds like what you want is not an answer to why one should not wear jeans at the gym but someone to give you permission to do it. Whether or not it restricts your movement or is too tight or comfortably loose in your particular case, it wrecks the equipment. And if money for proper gym clothes is really that much of an issue for you, you can find good bargains at your local thrift or goodwill store. If you can afford internet access in order to be on these forums, you can afford to spend three bucks at goodwill for proper gym clothing.
    My journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137873243

Thank you for your kind responses. I remembered a few years ago my health instructor talked about wearing no jeans but I couldn't quite remember the reason. Which is why I asked for more info. I know it wasn't about the bench at the gym but I couldn't quite remember what it was.

Thank you.

Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thank you for your kind responses. I remembered a few years ago my health instructor talked about wearing no jeans but I couldn't quite remember the reason. Which is why I asked for more info. I know it wasn't about the bench at the gym but I couldn't quite remember what it was.

Thank you.
    If you don't like shorts there are lots of capris and other pants to wear. There are lots of second hand places around.
    Also do you have acces to a track or to run outside??? If you don't care for te treadmill try that. Hunching over while running (if you are) can hurt more than help. Good luck!
    Sarah- NASM CPT

Weighed 245 LBS after having 2nd child in April 2006
    BodPod Results:
    August '09 33.7% Body Fat at 178 lbs & down to 22.9% body fat at 151 lbs in September '11

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The issue isn't whether YOU are comfortable wearing your jeans in the gym. The issue is that your jeans may be digging and gouging the vinyl benches, seats on the equipment etc. If you were in my gym wearing jeans I would make you leave and not come back until you were in proper gym attire. Period. There is a sign at my gym that says NO JEANS ALLOWED anyway. Why on earth would someone want to wear constrictive clothing while working out? get some sweats already.
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

Um, I got another question that has never occurred to me until now. Not exactly sure how to word my question so I won't sound stupid.

Bras and working out most particularly chest back. Can regular bras get in the way of Bench Press? I been wondering that lately because I never really thought about it and I never feel sore in my chest. I push myself and my workouts are intense but generally my triceps always gives out a bit early. Then I got to thinking....could regular bras be restrictive for these heavy compound lifts? Is it better to wear a sports bra or go to the gym without? Or is this just one of them personal preference things?

(I'm on week 12 of Kris Gethin's program. Gonna be a nasty DTP week :-D))

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    As far as attire goes it's usually best to cater to the situation. So, not attending a business meeting in a tracksuit would be a good thing. So would not wearing an underwire bra and jeans during physical activity.

But as uncomfortable as some regular bras can be, I'd be hard-pressed to imagine it holding you back during the compound lifts unless you had it on super super super tight. Even then it would do more damage at the bottom of the bench, not the lockout I would think.

DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000) DaniGrrl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I wear capri leggings that I bought at Target to work out in. The cost 8 bucks. You don't have to buy specific workout clothes that, yes, can sometimes be pricey. But Old Navy has a lot of stuff like leggings and capris that are very reasonable.

I always wear my bra under my sports bra for the simple fact that sometimes the gym is cold and it's pretty obvious if I'm cold I just haven't invested in a sports bra with enough padding to hide that evidence so I just keep my bra on. I don't think it causes any issues with any lifts. If anything, it used to cause major issues when I'd sweat doing intense cardio and I'd have chafe marks. But other than that, I think a bra isn't an issue.
    Danielle xoxo

#TEAM HYPE

Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by DaniGrrl View Post
    I wear capri leggings that I bought at Target to work out in. The cost 8 bucks. You don't have to buy specific workout clothes that, yes, can sometimes be pricey. But Old Navy has a lot of stuff like leggings and capris that are very reasonable.

I always wear my bra under my sports bra for the simple fact that sometimes the gym is cold and it's pretty obvious if I'm cold I just haven't invested in a sports bra with enough padding to hide that evidence so I just keep my bra on. I don't think it causes any issues with any lifts. If anything, it used to cause major issues when I'd sweat doing intense cardio and I'd have chafe marks. But other than that, I think a bra isn't an issue.
    Danielle, try the old navy sports bras. I don't ever have a problem with that when I have a shirt on. They are cheap and they have lasted me a long time! You don't always have to buy the really pricy stuff.. find stuff that works for you and your budget and makes ya feel good!
    Sarah- NASM CPT

Weighed 245 LBS after having 2nd child in April 2006
    BodPod Results:
    August '09 33.7% Body Fat at 178 lbs & down to 22.9% body fat at 151 lbs in September '11