Thread: Hello all!

danwink has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hello all!

Hi Derek and all,

Tomorrow is day one for me to get on the 12 week Bulking program. I have been getting my body out of dormancy for several months and have seen some good size gains, but have been struggling with trying to lose fat and gain muscle, I have decided to bulk now and then I will think about a cut in 3 months.

A couple of questions,

1. I am 39 (40 in December) and 6'2" and 219 pounds. I am using a thinner BF scale that shows 26%. I have a bigger frame and heavy legs, my doctor and I agree that 205 would be a good weight for me at this age. 3300 calories sounds like a bunch- should I keep an eye on weight and cut carbs a bit if I am seeing fat increase?

2. I am a bachelor and would love to hear and tips on dealing with 6 meals per day. I work about 60 hours per week with some travel, what preparation routines do you all use to be prepared to eat during the day? Looks like about 550 calories per meal gets me there.

Any other tips are welcome!

Michael Blaise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Welcome aboard. To get started check out Kris Gethin's 12 week program. There are a bunch of videos in this program that show meal prep ideas. Especially on days 3 and 18 video.

bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer-week-4.html

Also check out these videos by IFPA Pro Scivation Athlete Ron Parmeter:

Originally Posted by danwink View Post
    Hi Derek and all,

Tomorrow is day one for me to get on the 12 week Bulking program. I have been getting my body out of dormancy for several months and have seen some good size gains, but have been struggling with trying to lose fat and gain muscle, I have decided to bulk now and then I will think about a cut in 3 months.

A couple of questions,

1. I am 39 (40 in December) and 6'2" and 219 pounds. I am using a thinner BF scale that shows 26%. I have a bigger frame and heavy legs, my doctor and I agree that 205 would be a good weight for me at this age. 3300 calories sounds like a bunch- should I keep an eye on weight and cut carbs a bit if I am seeing fat increase?

2. I am a bachelor and would love to hear and tips on dealing with 6 meals per day. I work about 60 hours per week with some travel, what preparation routines do you all use to be prepared to eat during the day? Looks like about 550 calories per meal gets me there.

Any other tips are welcome!

Talking

Originally Posted by Michael Blaise View Post
    Welcome aboard. To get started check out Kris Gethin's 12 week program. There are a bunch of videos in this program that show meal prep ideas. Especially on days 3 and 18 video.

Also check out these videos by IFPA Pro Scivation Athlete Ron Parmeter:

Thanks for the help on this! Ron's system really helps, and minus all the supplements seems very easy to put together.

Funny, you and I are the same height and weight- somehow the weight works better for you!

If I can manage to convert my fat into muscle, I don't need to lose a pound...

Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz Beast has the mod powerz
    Welcome to the forum and good luck with the 12-Week Bulking Program.

1. Start at the 3300 calories and then decrease as needed based on your progress.

2. Cooking in bulk is the key. I usually cook a BUNCH of food on Sunday for the upcoming week.

FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FrmrHoss is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah, as far as gettign your food in/done, cooking in bulk and planning is definitely key. I usually plan a big dinner with my significant other on Saturday night, so that I have lots of leftovers that will run me through the middle/late middle of the week.

You can also spread out your calories over 4-5 bigger meals instead of 6 if you find that is easier time wise. Meal frequency is overrated . Though, if you get down to 4, it may just get to be difficult to eat 4 meals that are in the 800-900 calorie range.
    New log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=144101461
    Best meet lifts: 424/303/551 (93kg)
    Best gym lifts: 420/290/565

robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000) robertfah is just really nice. (+1000)
    Welcome and I hope you meet your goals! As most have said, cooking in bulk is great b/c it frees up time during the week.
    RDF

The pain that greets me, is the stick that beats me...

My Journey:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151219463

Yes we have very similar stats and are the same age. I have been working out off and on since high school but have been dedicated and consistent for the last year or so. It wasn't until I started eating more that I noticed a big change. When I increased my calories the opposite of what I expected happened, I actually started losing weight / body fat and gaining muscle at the same time. With a good solid consistent lifting program consisting of the big basic compound movements and a good diet from Derek you will be off to a good start.

Thanks for the help on this! Ron's system really helps, and minus all the supplements seems very easy to put together.

Funny, you and I are the same height and weight- somehow the weight works better for you!

If I can manage to convert my fat into muscle, I don't need to lose a pound...

Originally Posted by Michael Blaise View Post

Hello everyone,

I am working on bulking up an am following "The Beast's" 12 week plan. I should be eating 3300 calories daily and looking at the following goals:

219 g protein
    357 g Carb
    109 g fat

I am struggling with meeting the carb and fat goal- here is how yesterday looked...

244 g protein
    278 g carb
    48 g fat

I would love any suggestions on how to improve.

Yesterday's meals were as follows,

Egg Whites
    Blueberries
    Oatmeal (2 times)
    Top Round London Broil grilled
    Brown Rice
    Broccoli
    3 scoops ON Whey
    Creatine
    Fish Oil
    Skim Milk (with Whey)
    and a Kashi frozen dinner because it had lots of carbs.

I still finished the day 543 cal's short of 3300 and clearly missing some fat and carb. Ideas?

Try eating 5 meals a day spaced about 4 hours apart with the following:

7oz. of protein - Chicken, turkey, fish, meat, eggs/egg whites, whey protein
    60g of carbohydrates - sweet/white potatoes, rice, oatmeal, Ezekiel Bread, whole wheat pasta
    15g fat - Nuts, nut butter, whole eggs, fish oil, coconut oil, macadamia nut oil
    unlimited veggies
    fruit 2 or 3 times a day

Using the Diabetic Exchange method of keeping track of macros makes things much easier.

Check out these links for ideas:

bodybuilding.com/fun/the-diet-solution.htm

bodybuilding.com/fun/docs/2007/bulkingforendomorphs.pdf

muscleandstrength.com/downloads/scivation/12.pdf

Hello everyone,

I am working on bulking up an am following "The Beast's" 12 week plan. I should be eating 3300 calories daily and looking at the following goals:

219 g protein
    357 g Carb
    109 g fat

I am struggling with meeting the carb and fat goal- here is how yesterday looked...

244 g protein
    278 g carb
    48 g fat

I would love any suggestions on how to improve.

Yesterday's meals were as follows,

Egg Whites
    Blueberries
    Oatmeal (2 times)
    Top Round London Broil grilled
    Brown Rice
    Broccoli
    3 scoops ON Whey
    Creatine
    Fish Oil
    Skim Milk (with Whey)
    and a Kashi frozen dinner because it had lots of carbs.

I still finished the day 543 cal's short of 3300 and clearly missing some fat and carb. Ideas?
    Last edited by Michael Blaise; 11-05-2011 at 11:46 PM.