Robbo30ss has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Shoulders day after Chest???

Hi All,

I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on training shoulders the day after a chest workout?
    been training with a friend who trains thus

Monday - Chest
    Tue - Shoulders
    Wed - arms
    Thur - Back
    Friday - legs

are shoulders best served the day after a chest workout??
    Personally i used to train with split routines chest/tri's - back bi's then shoulders and got quite good results.
    opinions plz

tdirago is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdirago is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdirago is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdirago is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdirago is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdirago is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdirago is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdirago is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdirago is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdirago is on a distinguished road. (+10) tdirago is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    depends if you want to go 5 days or 4 days to the gym. I use to do the 4 day split (chesttri,backbi ect)

But now i do 5 day like this:

Chest/tri
    Back/Bi
    Shoulders
    Rest
    Legs
    Arms
    Rest

hit arms twice a week because i feel they're under trained or lacking in size to the rest of my body. I find using the original 4daysplit plan and manipulating to how you like it

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

It all depends on how serious you are.....

I don't like his split:

Of course you can hit the same muscles every day of the week with overlapping exercises...........if the intensity is low. Lots of people do pushups every day, which hit both chest and anterior(front) delts and triceps with a light load(half bodyweight). After you can do say twenty reps, strength and muscle gains are minimal even if you work up to a hundred for one set. The gains are mostly just endurance.

If the load is higher than you can load up with bodyweight exercises(the real reason why people should lift weights), then forget it. The best compound movements for chest include bench variations. They hammer the front delts and the triceps as well as chest.

Your friend does arms the day after shoulders. The best compound movements for shoulders include press variations. As well as hitting upper pecs, they hammer triceps. This guy is hitting tris three days in a row, and shoulders three days in a row if he includes the best triceps movements like close grip bench or weighted dips. Fine if he is pissing around with light weights(tho' he might be better off playing frisbee with the kids). Maybe he just does stuff like laterals, bent forward laterals, front raises etc with light weights. I do that stuff all the time to help recovery from big exercises like pressing and shrugging.

He does legs the day after back. Squatting is downright dangerous if you are suffering from lumbar fatigue from heavy deads/goodmornings the day before. Fine if the weights are more appropriate to a small girl than a muscular man, or even a would-be muscular man. Maybe he just avoids big basic exercises like squats and deads. Bummer:

That is a recipie for disaster. Leaving your low back weak while other muscles are getting stronger is dangerous when you squat, or handle anything heavy, even loading the car for a vacation. Presses would be a problem, or even stacking a high shelf. Even heavy curls would be risky, but maybe he only uses light weights for everything.

A simple upper/lower split is much better for anyone who is not advanced enough to benefit from something much harder to program.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

wiscowerewolf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have never done that and never will. It's recommended 48 hours of rest between those muscles.

serenity45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) serenity45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) serenity45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) serenity45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) serenity45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) serenity45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) serenity45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) serenity45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) serenity45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) serenity45 is on a distinguished road. (+10) serenity45 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    How good of a back workout can you get if you trained arms the day before??? Not saying you couldnt but most back exercises requires the biceps as a secondary mover. That whole routine looks pretty flawed IMO

NastyCais has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) NastyCais has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Yea that routine is flawed, you training same muscles over and over again

rawlsc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I bet your recovery for upper body can be pretty painful. I used to do shoulders after chest and learned very quickly that it can be most painful and bad idea ever.

guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000) guyver79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    trial and error, personally if hitting everything once a week i prefer to use same split as yates shoulder/tri,back,off,chest/bi,off,legs,off but i've read trevor smith recomend training chest and hitting shoulder tri the next day because:

By Trevor L. Smith
    O.K?..Now that the chest and calves have been thoroughly trashed we have to realize that the complimentary muscle groups-?delts and tris?have also received a good amount of work. For this reason, it is important to finish them off within 24 hours of chest so that you get optimum recovery time for the muscle groups. The logic is quite simple. If you spread out chest shoulders and delts throughout the week you wind up screwing yourself in terms of recovery time and they quickly become over-trained. Everytime you work chest, you are hitting delts and tris and vice versa, so in a perfect world you would hit everything together on the same day, put it is just not physically possible with Beyond Failure training and if you are one of these idiots that thinks you are tougher than everyone else and can do it?go right ahead and enjoy your have ass shoulder and triceps workout?because if you really hit chest properly, you won?t be able to lift your arms let alone do any specific work for shoulders and triceps.

witty comment goes here SimonThePieman's Avatar
    SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000) SimonThePieman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    chest. shoulders. arms. back to back?

No just no
    Saying Zyzz inspired you to lift is like saying Justin Bieber inspired you to sing

DurdenEgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) DurdenEgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) DurdenEgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) DurdenEgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) DurdenEgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) DurdenEgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) DurdenEgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) DurdenEgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) DurdenEgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) DurdenEgo is on a distinguished road. (+10) DurdenEgo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by SimonThePieman View Post
    chest. shoulders. arms. back to back?

No just no
    Agreed, BTW your quote is awesome

eng427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eng427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eng427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eng427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eng427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eng427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eng427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eng427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eng427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eng427 is on a distinguished road. (+10) eng427 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Robbo30ss View Post
    Hi All,

I was just wondering what peoples opinions were on training shoulders the day after a chest workout?
    been training with a friend who trains thus

Monday - Chest
    Tue - Shoulders
    Wed - arms
    Thur - Back
    Friday - legs

are shoulders best served the day after a chest workout??
    Personally i used to train with split routines chest/tri's - back bi's then shoulders and got quite good results.
    opinions plz

Rest is key! How's about:

Day 1-Back and biceps
    Day 2-Legs and abs
    Day 3-Rest
    Day 4-Chest and Triceps
    Day 5-Shoulders, forearms and abs

Repeat!

I don't do chest on a Monday because everybody does chest on a Monday!

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    I don't like his split:

Of course you can hit the same muscles every day of the week with overlapping exercises...........if the intensity is low. Lots of people do pushups every day, which hit both chest and anterior(front) delts and triceps with a light load(half bodyweight). After you can do say twenty reps, strength and muscle gains are minimal even if you work up to a hundred for one set. The gains are mostly just endurance.

If the load is higher than you can load up with bodyweight exercises(the real reason why people should lift weights), then forget it. The best compound movements for chest include bench variations. They hammer the front delts and the triceps as well as chest.

Your friend does arms the day after shoulders. The best compound movements for shoulders include press variations. As well as hitting upper pecs, they hammer triceps. This guy is hitting tris three days in a row, and shoulders three days in a row if he includes the best triceps movements like close grip bench or weighted dips. Fine if he is pissing around with light weights(tho' he might be better off playing frisbee with the kids). Maybe he just does stuff like laterals, bent forward laterals, front raises etc with light weights. I do that stuff all the time to help recovery from big exercises like pressing and shrugging.

He does legs the day after back. Squatting is downright dangerous if you are suffering from lumbar fatigue from heavy deads/goodmornings the day before. Fine if the weights are more appropriate to a small girl than a muscular man, or even a would-be muscular man. Maybe he just avoids big basic exercises like squats and deads. Bummer:

That is a recipie for disaster. Leaving your low back weak while other muscles are getting stronger is dangerous when you squat, or handle anything heavy, even loading the car for a vacation. Presses would be a problem, or even stacking a high shelf. Even heavy curls would be risky, but maybe he only uses light weights for everything.

A simple upper/lower split is much better for anyone who is not advanced enough to benefit from something much harder to program.
    This...read all of it. I'd be careful taking advice from that friend of yours OP.
    Experience, not just theory

mjjordan4523 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My routine is:

Back (includinng deadlifts)
    Chest
    Legs
    Shoulders
    Arms
    I am about to go do shoulders right now, im noticing my chest is still a little sore. I want to get the best workout i can get and im starting to think the one day split isnt enough time for recovery?

JordanBLyons has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Yes

Chest
    Back
    Shoulder/arms
    Legs.

Appetite for destruction!!!