Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Mellow's Guide to Getting Big in 10 years

I trolled here a bit back in '08 but never did more than casual lifting. Since SS was a big deal back then, I grabbed a copy and sat on it for a while. I tried to start back in March, but an old lady decided my car looked better totalled and merged into my lane on the highway. I had several injuries but the most significant were fractures in my C6/C7 vertebra.

Fast forward to July. I buy a motorcycle and within 2 months some out-of-towners cut me off and once again I'm broken. This time, my two right metacarpals are fractured on my right hand and the bone connecting my left thumb to wrist is broken.

Finally, I am (relatively) healed and just re-re-started lifting. I won't claim to be using SS because I did the terrible and added a few things, but this is my journal. I'll try to keep videos posted.

mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50) mellowmarshall will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Day 1

Ok, honestly I have no idea how much weight I was doing, so I'm going to guesstimate.

Cardio 45m

Squat.

45x10

75x5

95x5

115x5

155x5x3

Bench.

45x10

75x5

95x5

115x5

135x5x3

Dead lift.

95x5

115x5

135x5

BW Dips.

To failure x 2

At some point in filling this out I realized I was just making numbers up in between, so I'll just jump to my current stats. This is 2 weeks into lifting. Remember, these aren't really gains per se, because I had played around with the program a couple times this year but kept getting broke. I'll just jump to the current #s.

Day 5

Cardio 10m

Squat.

[warmup]

195x5x3

All good, going up!

Bench.

[warmup]

155x5 (tough)
    155x4 w/2-finger spot on the last rep
    155x3 w/spot on the last rep

Probably shouldn't have jumped 10lbs, I'll stick to 5lb intervals on bench for now. Suicide grip hits my chest much harder (+1). 155x5x3 on sunday for sure.

Dead lift.

135x5

185x5
    Disappointing given my squat, more on this below...

Day 6

Cardio 10m

Squat.

[warmup]

205x5
    205x5
    205x3 clean x2 messy

sticking with this weight for sunday's workout to clean up form. PR, and first ever lift over 200lbs!

Row.

[warmup]

85x5 (too easy)

95x5x3

fairly easy, don't feel like I get good reps out of my back though. I compare this to the bench, and I just don't "feel" this like I do in my chest. Maybe its because its undertrained. Considering doing accessory work for upper back, but not just yet.

OHP.

[warmup]

90x5x3

only the last 2 reps of the 3rd set were challenging, definitely moving this up tuesday. Pretty disappointed with my shoulder strength.

DH BW Chins.

BWx4 w/5s negative on last rep
    BWx3 w/5s neg
    BWx2 w/5s neg

My last DL was very weak not because my back couldn't handle it, but because my grip strength is shot from being double casted for 6wks. I hit 185x5 but had to use mixed grip to hold the weight after 2 reps. So...

Farmers Walks.

Two loops around the weight room floor at my gym. Maybe 90' each?

70x1
    60x1

These feel good, hopefully I can start doing them at the end of each workout.

Observations:
    1. Eating is hard. I barely break 2000 calories a day. Have to really gorge myself.
    2. Half a gallon of milk yesterday, makes hitting calories easier. Kinda expensive though...
    3. Ran my testosterone at work for ishts and giggles...no significant increase yet.
    Last edited by mellowmarshall; 10-28-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Angry

Day 8

Body Weight: 158.4 lbs

Squat.

45x10
    95x5
    135x5
    155x5
    185x3

205x5x3

Easy peasy. Movin' up to 215 tuesday.

*Lower back gets hit harder from squats than legs. It seems to be the limiting factor? My lifting buddy skipped this morning so I couldn't get a video, but I'll post one up of my squat form soon enough. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Bench.

45x10
    95x5
    115x5
    135x5

155x5 (good)
    155x5 (last 2 reps grinding)
    155x4 +1 with 2-finger spot

DL.

45x10
    135x5
    155x5 + 10 shrugs for good measure

*185x5 + 10 shrugs

************************************************** **************************************

Back is always ****ing dead from squats, grip still sucks. Fresh I could be hitting 2 plates, I'm sure of it. Anybody notice this lower back fatigue from SS? Also, having to use mixed grip makes the vag in me really come out.

************************************************** **************************************

Farmer's Walks.

65 DB loop
    55 DB loop

BW Dips.

BWx10
    BWx10

Didn't feel much pump in my chest, but lower back was aching pretty bad by this point so I just did some situps and went home crying.
    Last edited by mellowmarshall; 10-30-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mellowmarshall View Post

Back is always ****ing dead from squats, grip still sucks. Fresh I could be hitting 2 plates, I'm sure of it. Anybody notice this lower back fatigue from SS? Also, having to use mixed grip makes the vag in me really come out.

I didn't start to get lower back fatigue that was bad enough to affect my deadlifts until I was squatting around 300 lbs. for 3x5. I also noticed about that time that my lower back was rounding (butt wink) to hit depth, which was compounding the issue. Now I focus on keeping my back tight throughout the lift and I get much less fatigue in my lower back.

Does your grip strength suck because you broke your hand recently? I'd recommend getting straps and keeping DOH rather than going to mixed grip. Unless you are competing there is no reason not to use straps IMO. For a while I was just holding the last rep of my workset for as long as possible to work my grip strength and it really helped, the farmer's walks are good too though.

In on this. I skipped a few of your workouts because the format made me want to stab myself in the eye - it's getting better though.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

Originally Posted by PeterGibbons316 View Post
    Now I focus on keeping my back tight throughout the lift and I get much less fatigue in my lower back.

Does your grip strength suck because you broke your hand recently?

My lower back is super-tight, like when you can lean backwards and your upper body doesn't move because its so swole. That's just from squats, before I even DL. I'm hoping its a core problem, I picked up an ab wheel and will be stretching and focusing on keeping back/abs tights during lifts. As for the hand thing, no - I broke both! ****ing soccer moms.
    Xfit journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162017063 (current)
    SS journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139264713
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mellowmarshall?feature=mhee

Goals
    ------
    Front squat: 245, achieved 5/30/2014
    Back squat: 315, by 8/2014
    Bench press: 235, by 9/2014
    Clean and jerk: 195, by 8/2014
    Dead lift: 345, by 9/2014

Talking Day 9

Day 9

Feelin' good today. Took a swig of 5 hour energy before the workout, and it did great. Not enough to get jacked up, but perfect for keeping my energy level and mood high for the workout. Did about an hour of cardio yesterday - love the gym at school, its got tvs like a sports bar! Caught the game while I was jogging.

BW: 154.2

10m jog to warm up, couple mins of stretches for tight hammies and calves

Squat.

45x10

85x8

115x5

155x5

185x5

215x5x3 (PR!!!!!!)

Fckuing easy! Hitting 2 plates on thurs for sure. I was considering working with 185s because of the lower back, but standing there at the squat bar got me all pissed and I went for it. Debated trying 225 but glad I didn't - I was seeing stars at the end of set 3. Anyways, keeping the abs tight and lots of stretching did its job and lower back feels great after today's squats.

Press.

45x10

55x5

65x5

85x5 (first working set)

65x5x2 (strict)

Dropped weight here because I'm not sure I'm hitting these with the proper form. I'll get a vid up sunday and seek the advice of my betters.

Row.

45x10

55x10

65x5

75x5

95x5x3

Edit: Sh!t. Didn't realize I did 95s on this last time. Better start checking my own log before lifts.

Pullups.

BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx4+10s negative on the last rep

Great pump and burned out the lats, felt good. Even though they aren't in SS, I love these.

Grip

45x20 BB wrist curls

65 DB loop

30 bar reverse wrist curls

Grip's feeling better, although I decided not to work grip on DL days, and just focus on getting the deads in. I don't give a **** how tired I am, if I hit 2 plates on squats thursday I am doing 2 plates for deads too.

Diet is a big deal right now (previous diet: lots of fast food + a 6 pack nightly). Picked up whole grain bread, brown rice, chix, spinach, tuna, eggs, milk. Bunch of healthy stuff. I don't mind eating like crazy but I *do* mind gaining 14lbs in 2 weeks. I'm sure it was mostly water weight (there's creatine in my protein shake mix) but even then, I can't handle being a fatass when I'm trying to get ripped. My BF% is high enough as it is, these gains need to be relatively clean.
    Last edited by mellowmarshall; 11-01-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    Xfit journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162017063 (current)

Goals
    ------

Cool Day 10 - ****ING HUGE PRS ALL AROUND!

Day 10

BW: 156.0
    20 mins cardio warmup

Squats.

45x10
    95x5
    135x5
    155x5
    185x5

225x5x3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

****ing hit 2 plates for the first time in any lift EVER! Very excited about this. Vids are posted to my youtube channel in the sig. I would have taped the 3rd set but my buddy was waiting to spot instead of filming :P

Bench.

45x10
    65x8
    95x5
    115x5
    135x5

155x5x2
    160x5

Had help with the last rep of set 3 on sunday, so I stayed with 155. Easy as chit man. 160x5 went up without help too, I will definitely have 160x5x3 next week. Not technically a PR (170x5x3 prior to the accident) but still a nice gain.

Deadlift.

135x5
    185x5 (DOH grip)
    225x5 (mixed grip)

And another PR!!! I would have liked to warm up more, but didn't get to the gym until 10:30 and it was closing. Either way, I said I'd do 2 plates on deads if I did 2 plates on squat and I did. 40lb jump...**** it! I couldn't hit 185x5 with DOH last week so the farmer's walks are definitely working. Naiiiiice.

BW Dips.

BWx10
    BWx10

Ab wheel (kneeling).

20x
    17x (ow....)

Adding some solid core exercise has already made a difference in my lifts - squats are not so hard on my back (although my abs are still weak, I am keeping them as tight as possible) which means I have more left for deads, and the lower back pain is "good" pain. I can't wait until I can do these from standing

Overall, today was some pimp ****. I thought the 20 mins cardio might jack up the 2-plate squat attempts but I wasn't feeling warmed up after the usual 10 mins. CNS was ****ING DEAD after squats, took about 10 mins in between last set of squats and starting bench. But who gives a ****? ALL LIFTS ARE UP MOFOS!!!!!

Edit: Trolled forums for a bit and got up to 50 posts so I can start linking vids.

nice wedgie shot
    Last edited by mellowmarshall; 11-04-2011 at 02:31 AM.

Goals
    ------

Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Way to rebound back to working out after so many physical injury setbacks. It shows real determination.

Just a couple of notes (I'm by no means a professional):
    I've always been told to not stretch before lifting weights, especially squats, because it removes the elasticity you use to pop back up.
    For future videos, could we get perpendicular videos on your squats? A good way to make sure squats are at their best form is by checking the bar path.

Looking good man, I'm in!

Originally Posted by Jeeves19 View Post
    Way to rebound back to working out after so many physical injury setbacks. It shows real determination.

Just a couple of notes (I'm by no means a professional):
    I've always been told to not stretch before lifting weights, especially squats, because it removes the elasticity you use to pop back up.
    For future videos, could we get perpendicular videos on your squats? A good way to make sure squats are at their best form is by checking the bar path.

Looking good man, I'm in!
    Yeah my lifting buddy is crazy, the vids should improve over time as well as the lifts.

As for stretching, I'm not sure about them. I stretch after my warmup cardio and a ton between sets and after the gym because I get really tight. I read in some russian dude's tips that stretching was really important, and he didn't go into detail, so I'm just being cautious.

Goals
    ------

PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'd say the volume on your warmups is a little high. For squats I do 45x2x5, 40%x5, 60%x3, 80%x2. 185x5 is quite a warmup before 225x5.

Squats look pretty good, but a side view taken at about knee height would be better for gauging depth. Looks like your knees are caving in first thing as you come out of the hole then flaring back out, I'd watch that. If you are using a "knee out" cue, start it a little sooner.

Your lockout on deads is weak. Get those shoulders back and stand straight up with it.

Nice work on the PRs man! Be careful with huge jumps in weight. I've caused myself to plateau early by doing that.

DIY Plyo Boxes:

Your lockout on deads is weak.
    This is the kind of **** i come to this forum for!!! Stay tuned for intense deads next tues.

Goals
    ------

Day 11

10 mins cardio warmup

BW: 157.8 lbs

Squat.

45x10
    95x8
    135x5
    165x5
    225x2
    205x1
    185x2
    135x5x3

Attempting to use some of the advice for avoiding knee-cave, I flexed my knees outwards and held them thru the lifts. What I found is that my glutes are ****ing pitifully weak, repping squats out at my previous 225 was impossible. Even 185 was too heavy for my glutes, and knees continued to cave. At 135 I was able to get a good flex out of the glutes, and it became progressively easier in sets 2 and 3 so I'll really pound my assand work this back up to 2 plates.

Press.

45x10
    45x10
    65x5
    90x5
    90x5
    90x7

This was a PR so I didn't want to jump 10lbs, but it went up pretty easy and I'll definitely move up again on thurs.

Row.

45x10
    65x8
    85x5
    105x5
    105x5
    105x5

Lower back felt like **** today after so much squat volume, and trying to use muscles that aren't developed yet. So this sucked, but the pulls were relatively easy.

BW Pullups.

BWx5
    BWx4+slow negative
    BWx4+10s hang

I like the pump from pullups better than chins, and tbh my left hand isn't fully healed - I tried to do a set of chins after these and after about 2 reps my wrist was tweaking.

Farmer's Walks.

Farmer's stands, actually. No space in the room I lifted in today for walking around, so I just did

75x30s
    75x30s
    75x30s

Ab wheel.

10x
    10x

I always hate lifting in the morning and today was no exception. Me and my buddy both woke up late so the whole session was rushed. I haven't been smoking much or drinking at all so at least I'm not lifting hungover, but I still didn't really want to be there and I think it showed, particularly with my squats. I can't be too upset because the presses are going up nicely, though. I guess. ****.
    Last edited by mellowmarshall; 11-06-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Goals
    ------

Got no motivation today. Bout to drink a 5 hour energy in preparation for lifting tonight.

Goals
    ------

pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice work.

Use a stance for squats that is about 2" WIDER than what you used in the vids above (Possibly wider if you like it), and point your toes out. This will help you keep your knees tracking properly.
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153427731&page=1

FMH Crew Brit in Training

Day 12

Day 12

BW: 159.2 (must be my time of the month...im all bloated)

Warmup 15 mins elliptical, 10 mins treadmill

Squats.

45x10
    85x5
    115x5
    135x5
    185x5
    185x5
    185x5

Felt good.

Bench.

45x10
    85x5
    115x5
    135x5
    160x5
    160x5
    160x5

Easy.

Dead lift.

135x5
    185x5
    225x5

Dips.

BWx10
    BWx10
    BWx7.5

Even though bench was easy, my triceps were definitely stressed as I couldn't finish my last set of dips. I do a nice full ROM strict dip, so they are brutal after a bench session. But not hitting 10x3 on accessory work = meh. I'm happy.

I wasn't feeling great about today's workout after the sh!tty lifts on sunday, but today was redeeming. Form on squats feels better, 160 was a 5lb increase and went up easily (even set 3), and deads today felt ****ing great. This is the first time my back has actually felt GOOD after doing deads, so I know I'm doing something right.

Originally Posted by pezking7p View Post
    Nice work.

Use a stance for squats that is about 2" WIDER than what you used in the vids above (Possibly wider if you like it), and point your toes out. This will help you keep your knees tracking properly.
    I didn't get a chance to see this until after lifting, but this is exactly what I did - toes pointed about 45 degrees out instead of almost straight forward, and a slightly wider stance. Its still strange to feel a burn in my inner thighs, and my glutes are getting punished right now but at least the reps were cleaner.
    Last edited by mellowmarshall; 11-08-2011 at 10:52 PM.

Goals
    ------

Day 13

Day 13

BW: 155.9

10 mins cardio

Pre-workout diet was some fruit and a bagel w/cream cheese. I keep meaning to get in a shake before workouts on lift days but it always seems to slip my mind.

Squats.

45x10
    95x6
    135x5
    155x5
    205x5
    205x5
    205x5

These went up but a few of the last reps were grindy. I'm not really happy about the fact that 205 feels heavy since I hit 2 plates before. I guess we'll see how 215 feels next time.

Press

45x10
    65x5
    65x5
    95x5
    95x5
    95x5

Last time 90# was easy, but that didn't carry over this time. I hit them all (looks easy in the video - it wasn't) but I had nothing left.

POWER CLEANS!!!!

45x???

Practiced with some hang cleans. Still working on this motion, feels really unnatural and I don't get a good "snap" from my shrug.

75x???
    95x???
    115x3
    115x3
    115x3

I know I've got work to do because this exercise hits my biceps more than my back. Regardless, I want to include challenging lifts so this one is staying put.

Rows.

45x10
    65x8
    85x5
    110x5
    110x5
    110x5

First set felt great. After that I was pretty worn out. I don't particularly feel burnt out like I would from squat/bench/dl but I just couldn't get the weight all the way up to my chest for rep 5 of set 2/3. Hmm.

Pullups.

BWx5 pullups
    BWx5 chinups
    BWx0.5, 0.5, 0.5 wide grip (**** these)
    BWx4 hammer grip

Pullup strength is definitely improving. I couldn't do 5 pullups in a row to save my life when I started, and the first 2 sets I could have probably done 6-7 reps. +1

Not much that's left to do now but to eat!

Goals
    ------

Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jeeves19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Looks like you're doing well man. One question though. Do you have a set routine? I haven't really noticed anything consistent? If you do have a routine, go ahead and post it up.

Originally Posted by Jeeves19 View Post
    Looks like you're doing well man. One question though. Do you have a set routine? I haven't really noticed anything consistent? If you do have a routine, go ahead and post it up.
    Of course! I'm doing the most common variation on SS.

A
    Squat
    Bench
    Dead lift
    (Dips)

B
    Squat
    Press
    Row
    (pullups)

I also added in farmer's walks to help with my grip since my arms atrophied while they were casted, and the ab wheel to get some direct ab exercise. I am trying to learn the power clean movement, so I throw that in once in a while on B day.

Goals
    ------

I am trying to learn the power clean movement, so I throw that in once in a while on B day.
    Good plan. In one way, I wish my gym didn't ban olympic lifts. But on the other hand... I have a reason not to do cleans, lol.
    SS Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138512643&highlight=Jeeves19

holy ****. just took a video of myself flexing (under very favorable lighting) and i have VISIBLE UPPER BACK MUSCLES FOR THE FIRST TIME EVAR! rows are officially my new favorite lift.

Goals
    ------

Time to get Ripped! slytheslayer's Avatar
    slytheslayer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slytheslayer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slytheslayer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slytheslayer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slytheslayer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slytheslayer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slytheslayer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slytheslayer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slytheslayer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slytheslayer is a jewel in the rough. (+500) slytheslayer is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Great work man!! Your effort is starting to show, Dont stop now!!
    Check out my GST workout Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138364783

Capsi-Blast Log (In Progress!)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153063391

Beta-cret and Gluta-Tren log (Complete!)
    Gluta-Tren log (Complete!)
    Beta-cret log Complete!)

Day 14

Day 14 - Partnerless

BW: 159.8 (forgot, post-workout)

10m cardio warmup

Squats.

45x10
    95x5
    135x5
    185x5
    185x5
    185x5

Lower back pain is returning with the adjustments to form. Not really sure what to say or do about this. Feels sh!tty. Also, a new issue is developing.

So you can see particularly on rep 3 there is some knee-jerk. I'm gonna assume this is also related to my weak glutes, maybe hams.

Bench.

45x10
    95x5
    115x5
    135x5
    165x5
    170x5
    170x5

I know I probably shouldn't go up 10lbs on bench, but 165 just felt easy. Got all 5 reps on both 170 sets, with some grinding.

Yes, lighting sucks. It was actually really bright so the aperture on my phone closed basically all the way. W/e. Bench vids aren't important unless they're PRs anyways.

Dead lift.

45x10 extensions
    135x5
    185x5
    235x5

Still managing 185 with DOH grip, and still can't even get the bar off the floor @ 225+ without using mixed. Didn't want to go up weight today because the lower back, but who cares? Pulls were nice and clean.

Dips

BWx10
    BWx10
    BWx10

My gym needs belts.

So. I may have overdone it today. I'm shaky and worn out. I made a spinach and cheese omelet and had a shake post workout, and feel like puking. I think loss of apetite = overtrained? Or maybe it was the beers and hot wings last night at the Pacquiao fight, or the lack of sleep.

Or maybe I'm just being whiny. Would love to solve this lower back issue though. Vids when I get home from work.
    Last edited by mellowmarshall; 11-13-2011 at 08:46 PM.

Goals
    ------

Day 14 - Partnerless

BW: 159.8 (forgot, post-workout)

10m cardio warmup

Squats.

45x10
    95x5
    135x5
    185x5
    185x5
    185x5

Lower back pain is returning with the adjustments to form. Not really sure what to say or do about this. Feels sh!tty. Also, a new issue is developing. Vids coming.

Bench.

45x10
    95x5
    115x5
    135x5
    165x5
    170x5
    170x5

I know I probably shouldn't go up 10lbs on bench, but 165 just felt easy. Got all 5 reps on both 170 sets, with some grinding.

Dead lift.

45x10 extensions
    135x5
    185x5
    235x5

Still managing 185 with DOH grip, and still can't even get the bar off the floor @ 225+ without using mixed. Didn't want to go up weight today because the lower back, but who cares? Pulls were nice and clean.

Dips

BWx10
    BWx10
    BWx10

My gym needs belts.

So. I may have overdone it today. I'm shaky and worn out. I made a spinach and cheese omelet and had a shake post workout, and feel like puking. I think loss of apetite = overtrained? Or maybe it was the beers and hot wings last night at the Pacquiao fight, or the lack of sleep.

Or maybe I'm just being whiny. Would love to solve this lower back issue though. Vids when I get home from work.
    Good work on everything. Taking a look at the vids should be able to solve quite a bit. As for the above highlighted text, are you eating enough? A spinach and cheese omelet and a shake barely seems like a meal. You might think about eating some more. With alcohol (I don't know how big of a role this played), a lack of sleep, and a light meal, you may have just experienced the perfect storm. In any case, I hope you get feeling better!
    SS Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138512643&highlight=Jeeves19

Yeah. I'm pretty beat now so I think lack of sleep is the culprit. I eat as much as I can, havent been counting calories but I doubt I break 2400 often. If I try to eat more than that I'll just be a walking food coma.

Goals
    ------

ellie210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ellie210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ellie210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ellie210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ellie210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ellie210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ellie210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ellie210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ellie210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ellie210 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ellie210 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just found your journal now.

Wow, it's great that you post videos of yourself often. (You just gave me a great idea. ) It seems like you're progressing well. Keep it up buddy!
    After spending years in the gym failing to make any progress, I'm turning over a new leaf. My beginner workout journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138512743

I've been awake for about 12 hours today. So far:

C 118 = 472 31%
    F 51 = 459 30%
    P 146 = 584 39%

1515 cals.

Seems like I could use more carbs, otherwise I'm not sure what to do. This is definitely too low but even now 2 hrs after dinner I'm full. Bout a gallon of water, too. I think I'll be lucky to hit 2k tonight. WTF?! Gainer in my future?

Goals
    ------

I've been awake for about 12 hours today. So far:

C 118 = 472 31%
    F 51 = 459 30%
    P 146 = 584 39%

1515 cals.

Seems like I could use more carbs, otherwise I'm not sure what to do. This is definitely too low but even now 2 hrs after dinner I'm full. Bout a gallon of water, too. I think I'll be lucky to hit 2k tonight. WTF?! Gainer in my future?
    I'm not a nutrition expert, so take my words as cautiously as you would like. Typically for meals I try to eat as much protein packed food as possible. Carbs and Fat find their way into my meal, I don't need to worry about that. One major thing that I changed when I started working out was my level of milk consumption. I take in at least 5-7 glasses of milk a day. 2-3 per meal and at least 1 during breakfast. However, some people can't stomach milk and don't have the ability to do this. Cottage cheese, eggs, and milk are the three staples for me.

Just saw your water consumption. A gallon? Are you loading creatine? Even if you are loading creatine, I don't think you *need* that much water. Water is a pretty filling substance, especially at a gallon a day. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that water is bad either. If you brought down your water, you might see that you have more room to fill yourself with food instead.

Day 15

Day 15

BW: 158.5

I did two things different this week, and I'm gonna tentatively say they solved all my problems. First, I went to the gym yesterday and did about 35 mins of medium intensity jogging. During halftime I was bored so I went downstairs and did a light workout of all the lifts in SS, up to maybe 50% 1RM. Basically got all my muscles warm but no real work. Then another 20 mins of cardio and a good stretch session.

Today, I drank a glass of juice just before going to the gym to make sure I had energy to last through the workout.

Squats.

45x10
    95x5
    135x5
    185x3
    225x5
    225x5
    225x5

Low bar = no lower back pain. Still working on developing the glutes, but now that I'm not hurting from reps I can really push myself. (as a side note, the wrist position here is slightly painful on the left wrist that got fractured - but much less that the low back pain)

Press.

45x10
    65x6
    65x5
    85x5
    110x5
    110x5
    110x5

I didn't have my phone with me and I forgot how much I did last time - I thought it was 105 - so I just went 110. Damn, that was a 15lb jump and I hit them all without assistance or leg drive cheating. Not having lower back fatigue is making a huge difference in my lifts.

Rows.

45x10
    65x8
    85x5
    85x5
    110x5
    110x5
    110x5

Unfortunately, I didn't increase these for the same reason I jumped so much on press. 110x5x3 went up last time, so maybe 10lb jump next workout. Used pendlay form this time, felt good, will probably continue.

Pullups.

BWx6
    BWx6
    BWx8

Here is the real kicker....I started this program barely able to do 3 pullups! Now I'm able to get >6 each set, I could have done 7 at least. Really stoked about this!

Some ab work, and that's it.

Also, ordered a Captain of Crush trainer (100lbs) so I can work on my grip strength, for realz.

Goals
    ------

Strong press man, keep it up!

On the nutrition thing - I just try to hit my protein and fat targets and everything else typically falls into place. It is very difficult for me to get my 200g of protein and 100g of fat without also getting enough carbs for me to gain more weight than what I would consider ideal.

DIY Plyo Boxes: