AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Staring Strength and Strong Lifts Question

I'm considering starting either of these two in a few months but I just have a questions regarding these two programs:

1.) Warm-Ups for both
    I'm assuming warm-up sets should be ramped up to the working set, correct? So say 3-4 warm-up sets to ramp up to my working set and then I do 3x5 (SS) or 5x5 (SL) of that working set?

2.) Adding weight for SS
    I read that every WEEK you should add 2.5% to your lifts for each exercise, correct? But what I don't understand is say if my bench press working set is 95lbs * 0.025 for the next week = 2.375, just round it up to 2.5 so 95lbs+2.5 = 97.5. I'll have a 45lb bar, 2 25lb plates so I need 1 2.5lb plate...? Which side do I put that on? Lol. Same thing goes if my bench press working set is 135lbs * 0.025 for the next week = 3.375, round down or up to 3 or 4, there are no plates to add that much weight? That's just what I'm wondering about.

3.) Adding weight to SL
    I read that every WORKOUT (not WEEK like SS) you should aim to add 5lbs to each exercise, correct? So say for Workout A on Monday my Bench is 135 for my working sets, I'll aim to add 5lbs to move up to 140 for Workout A again on Friday (so in the same week). Is this correct? It sounds much more simpler than the 2.5% for SS each week. Can 5lbs just be added on to SS each week instead of 2.5% just as how 5lbs are added on to SL each workout?

Thanks for the help!

devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz
    Do you have the SS book? If not you should get it. It will answer these questions.

AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AyeTee77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by devilbones View Post
    Do you have the SS book? If not you should get it. It will answer these questions.
    No I don't unfortunately. Now I just read somewhere that you add weight to SS every session as well, so 5lbs just as you do with SL but add more to deadlifts such as 10-15lbs. Now I'm confuzzled

devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by AyeTee77 View Post
    No I don't unfortunately. Now I just read somewhere that you add weight to SS every session as well, so 5lbs just as you do with SL but add more to deadlifts such as 10-15lbs. Now I'm confuzzled
    In SS you warm up by doing lighter weight at 5 reps until you get to your work set. Depending on the lift you normally do 5 reps x 3 Sets. After that you will add 10lbs each workout until you can no longer progress on 10lbs and then move down to 5lbs. Its split into an A and B routine that you alternate weekly. Week 1 is ABA Week 2 is BAB with 2 days rest at the end of the workout. You should get the book, it really explains it all and is very helpful.

Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    On SS:

Warming up is up to you and how you like it, but this is how I go about it...

Squat
    2x5x45lb
    5x95lb
    5x135lb
    4x165lb
    3x185lb

3x4x225lb

And after my Squats I'm usually warm enough to where the other warm-up sets aren't nearly as drawn out...

Bench
    2x5x45lb
    5x95lb
    5x135lb
    4x155lb
    3x165lb

3x5x185lb

Deadlift
    5x45lb
    5x135lb
    3x165lb
    2x200lb

1x5x250lb

Buy the book though.
    Squats - 315lb
    Bench - 225lb
    OHP - 165lb
    Deadlift - 355lb
    PC - 195lb
    Pull-ups - 24

SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SevenRays has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Starting Strength

First thing to do is find your starting weight for each lift.
    Here's a shortened version of the correct method to use by PeterGibbons316:

Step 1 - Start with an EMPTY bar.
    Step 2 - Do 5 reps.
    Step 3 - Add 5 lbs. to each side
    Step 4 - Do 5 reps.
    Step 5 - Did the speed of the bar slow down during Step 4?
    No: Go to Step 3
    Yes: Do two more sets of 5 at this weight and then stop. Increase the weight by 5 or 10 pounds total your next workout.

Once you have your starting weights set you can use the SS warmup calculator to program your sets.
    You can download the calculator here: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Downloads
    All you have to do is enter your work set weights & it will program the correct warmup sets.
    Then each workout you simply increase your previous work set weight, adding 5-10 lbs depending on the lift should be fine.

Here's a couple of links you might find useful:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=131379243
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki
    Last edited by SevenRays; 10-26-2011 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Links added

Thanks for all the help guys!