One Breath has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Benching, Military Press and CG Bench. How far should you go down?

So ive been told many many things about techniques on Bench Press and Military Press.
    Ive always adhered to the idea that using the greatest range of motion would yield the best results.
    Thus on Bench Press i always touch the barbell on my chest before starting the push back up, for Military Press ive always brought the bar down below my chin before begining the push back up.
    Ive never had any major issues, occasionally id get a pain in my left shoulder, but this only ever happened if i was hurrying and didnt warm up enough before hand. So i paid it no mind.
    Now, one of my weightlifting buddies has completely ****ed his shoulder and went from benching 385lbs and pressing 275lbs to not being able to lift his arm without excessive pain, and both him and the doctor's put it down to the fact he went to far with benches and military press when he was younger (he's now in his mid-30's). Ive been lifting seriously for 2 years. im 22 and figure i havent developed any of those pains cos a) maybe im still young enough to avoid it and b) my lifts arent touching his.
    Either way its made me seriously think about altering my apporach to full ROM on those excercises.

so my question is:
    how far do you go down on bench press?
    Do you touch the bar to your chest, or do you stop when your arms hit parrallel to the floor? so you can still fit a clenched fist between your chest and the bar?

For military press: do you go down as far as comfortable? or do you stop at your ear level? or something else?

which got me thinking how about CG Bench? i again always stopped when the bar touched my chest.
    Similarly, ive been doing extreme stretches for the past 3 months, theyve helped GREATLY, and everybody i know who's ever used them says that its helped greatly, but the whole idea is stretching far beyond any point that you would normally go to on an excercise, so how does somebody justify the benefits of extreme stretching (go BEYOND a full ROM) AND the benefits of stopping short of a full ROM when doing these excercises?

Any help would be appreciated, cos one thing i would love to avoid my entire life is any kind of major injusry leading to surgery and a long lay-off.

li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    For bench, go all the way down to the chest if you want to work your pecs.

For shoulder presses, go all the way down too. In fact, once you get above your head it is primarily a tricep lockout! I see people doing lockouts all the time and want to ask them if they are enjoying training their triceps!

For the close grip bench, you have a couple options. You can go all the way down to train the triceps/shoulders/chest. If you want to focus solely on the triceps, then partial lockouts would be excellent as the lockout of the movement is mostly triceps.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    All the way down to the search button.

md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000)
    For bench I always touch the chest then go to full lockout. For overhead press I touch my clavicle which is lower than most people go but it's a good point for me because that way I always get to the same area.

Keep in mind most injuries are caused by:

1) improper form
    2) ego
    3) muscular imbalances - shoulder/pec tears are so common in bench pressing because people generally don't work their back or shoulders nearly as much as they do their chest when they should

Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Carmen0857 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    All the way down

So the whole that using the full ROM will lead to major injuries is a myth?
    Thats good to hear but id still appreciate some more responses, or maybe some links.

And yeh i tried searching i just couldnt find anything, probably cos i didnt know exactly what to search for, but i did try a few different combinations and didnt get anything helpful, sorry if the topic is played out i just dont wanna **** myself up like my buddy did.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by li0scc0 View Post
    For bench, go all the way down to the chest if you want to work your pecs.

For shoulder presses, go all the way down too. In fact, once you get above your head it is primarily a tricep lockout! I see people doing lockouts all the time and want to ask them if they are enjoying training their triceps!

For the close grip bench, you have a couple options. You can go all the way down to train the triceps/shoulders/chest. If you want to focus solely on the triceps, then partial lockouts would be excellent as the lockout of the movement is mostly triceps.

I never go all the way down on any exercise.

li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10) li0scc0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Correct. With partial reps you are more likely to use an improper weight and improper form, which will lead to greater injuries. Plus you are LESS likely to work the target muscles.

Correct. With partial reps you are more likely to use an improper weight and improper form, which will lead to greater injuries. Plus you are LESS likely to work the target muscles.

nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000)
    what?
    Secretary of Defense/Neeging, SRCSG (Squat Rack Curlers Support Group)

"I feel like to get squats patent." - redbullzeye

OK. so some of you say full ROM and some say partial.
    What im wondering is, which is Safer.
    As far as which hits the muscle better and develops more size, thats irrelevant to me right now, im interested in which is SAFER.
    thanks for the input so far though.

Originally Posted by One Breath View Post
    As far as which hits the muscle better and develops more size, thats irrelevant to me right now, im interested in which is SAFER.
    Depends on the exercise and to a lesser extent your bodytype.

nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by One Breath View Post
    safer is being able to control your weight within what ever ROM through all of your reps with good form...

wasted my 3,000 post on this
    Secretary of Defense/Neeging, SRCSG (Squat Rack Curlers Support Group)

"I feel like to get squats patent." - redbullzeye

Originally Posted by nitrored View Post
    safer is being able to control your weight within what ever ROM through all of your reps with good form...

wasted my 3,000 post on this
    Repped. Especially for the last line in your posts.

Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Uriel_da_man has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    As low as it feels comfortable.

Listen to your body and it'll usually tell you what you can and cannot do.

Originally Posted by Uriel_da_man View Post
    As low as it feels comfortable.

Listen to your body and it'll usually tell you what you can and cannot do.

Common sense for the win!

MiKroN is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiKroN is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiKroN is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiKroN is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiKroN is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiKroN is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiKroN is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiKroN is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiKroN is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiKroN is on a distinguished road. (+10) MiKroN is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    how do i get diamond delts?

Originally Posted by MiKroN View Post
    how do i get diamond delts?
    Side presses
    incline lateral raises
    Lying lateral raises
    Wide grip shoulder presses on rack
    standing db laterals in front of thigh
    standing db laterals behind thigh
    incline barbell raises
    db upright rows

Whys everybody gotta be a douchebag?
    I dont really care if its been answered before. I searched and couldnt find an answer. So i asked again.