rabbit1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is it ok to skip a few days at the gym?

Hey all. I have been getting really serious about fitness the last month. Every other day I go on a 10 mile cycling trip (20 mile rides on weekend) and on off days I hit the gym. (my workout routine isn't very good I think I've realized recently, but I am working to improve it to get a good full body workout)

anyway I love all the time I spend exercising but sometimes it is just literally impossible for me to get in and i have to break my routine. Like today. I am attempting to finish a thesis and spend 7 hours straight this afternoon just trying to prove one stupid tiny theorem lol. Now the gym is closed. I spend a lot of days working from before sunrise until after the gym closes and i honestly cant find one hour in the day.

How do I make up for this missed time? What happens to your body when you get off this schedule? I have been pretty good about being consistent, but missed two days last week, and then today missed another day. I am worried this will be frequent and just didn't know if theres stuff I can do to make up for it.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Most people with solid training programs don't exercise 7 days a week. Rest days are crucial and we use them...

Good luck with your thesis.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

rabbit1987 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So what is a good number of days per week to work out?

I have noticed recently on any day I skip, I miss working out so bad. I have started using it as my time to "Get away". I just relax, listen to my tunes, it is something so wonderful that I look forward to!

and thanks for the good luck wishes. Believe me I need it :/

pyueck has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rabbit1987 View Post
    So what is a good number of days per week to work out?

I have noticed recently on any day I skip, I miss working out so bad. I have started using it as my time to "Get away". I just relax, listen to my tunes, it is something so wonderful that I look forward to!

and thanks for the good luck wishes. Believe me I need it :/

Personally I don't set numbers of days a week to work out, I set long term goals. I work out when I want, which tends to be 5 days a week, with 3/4 weight training, 1 swimming and normally 1 sport such as football or tennis. The reason why I don't set days is that most people have busy lives and lets face it on some days something comes up better in the evening than go to the gym. Under my way I am not restricted in when I can exercise by some rota, but can make the most of my free time to go when I can. I feel like my determination to get results will get me to the gym, not some rota which will soon be gathering dust.

I know getting to the gym can sometimes be hard, but there are a few things you can do to make it easier. Try to go to the gym within 45 minutes of getting back from work, any longer and you probably wont go. Going to the gym with other people is great, however don't rely on going with one other person. Try to get a group of friend to go with, and also get to know regulars at the gym so its not so lonely when you go on your own. Finally and most importantly you must WANT to go to the gym, or you might as well give up now. I love going to the gym and feel so good after it, but if you spend the day dreading it sooner or later you will barely ever be going. The trick to enjoying the gym is work when you are there, get to know people at the gym and most of all look at how your body and fitness levels have improved and see the results!

The fact that I don't 'set days' for the gym doesn't mean that I don't take going seriously. In fact if i don't go for a few days I just can't wait to go to the gym. I don't reckon missing a few days is bad for your goals at all, in fact it can sometimes get those annoying sprains and twinges out the system. The most important thing is that you are somebody that wants to go to the gym, and wants to achieve their goals. By being somebody that wants to go to the gym regularly, missing a few days is no big deal because you KNOW you can't wait to get back and hit the weights.

megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) megdaig is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    When you lift weights you're creating micro-tears in your muscles, these tears are repaired during rest causing your muscles to grow. Taking time off from the gym is a good thing. It's also good practice to take a full week off every couple of months.

To allow the muscles to properly rest and heal I shoot for no less than three days between working out the same muscle group. I tend to workout 5 to 6 days during the week, rotating my splits. I'm a gym junkie so I workout or think about working out every waking moment.

There is no set rule on number of days to workout or how long each workout should be, it all depends on your goals. Most programs don't advise newbies to workout more than 3 to 4 days to prevent burnout or overtraining. If you miss a day in the gym it's not that detrimental to your progress, don't skip that day's workout completely, just get it in during your next gym session and keep trucking along.
    Coming out of "retirement"...Meg is training for a Figure competition...again!!!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171008551&pagenumber=

My first ever training journal: Oh snap....Meg-O's training for a Figure comp...
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139228463

Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    It's great to let your body rest as long as you don't totally abandon your work out plan!
    Sarah- NASM CPT

Weighed 245 LBS after having 2nd child in April 2006
    BodPod Results:
    August '09 33.7% Body Fat at 178 lbs & down to 22.9% body fat at 151 lbs in September '11

mria123456 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Don't skip single day at the Jim.It may cause serious effect of your body.

Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by mria123456 View Post
    Don't skip single day at the Jim.It may cause serious effect of your body.
    This is the third different thread you have come on and said something crazy. I don't think you are on here to help others and get information. Sorry to say but that's what I'm seeing
    Sarah- NASM CPT

Weighed 245 LBS after having 2nd child in April 2006
    BodPod Results:
    August '09 33.7% Body Fat at 178 lbs & down to 22.9% body fat at 151 lbs in September '11

Registered User HopeSmallwonder's Avatar
    HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    There are lots of workouts you can do in the comfort of your own home no fancy gym needed

here is the link to a video i helped shoot with a friend of mine earlier this year, u can do some of these types of workouts in your own home or back yard
    Follow me on ********!
    http://www.********.com/profile.php?id=100000582781653

Infinite Labs Model