nopulse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Over training arms?

I work straight weekends (Fri to Sun), 12hr shift, so when I get home I'm usually drained, so I can only train 4 days (Mon to Thurs) Since I can only train 4 days, i try to double up on some my exercises, particular arms and chest. I'm wondering if I'm training my arms too much. Any help would be appreciated

Here is my routine for the week

Monday (Chest,arms)

(chest)
    Decline DB press 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Delcine DB Flys 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Delcine Cable Flys 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x

was thinking of adding Decline bench press, not sure it that's overdoing it

(Arms)

Standing Barbell Curls 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Hammer Curls 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Concentrated Curls 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Preacher curls 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x

Tuesday (back, shoulder)

(shoulder)

Shoulder Shrugs 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Barbell Upright Row (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Dumbbell Side Lateral Raises (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press 10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x

(back)

Deadlifts 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure
    Barbell Bent over rows 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure
    Wide Pulldowns 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Single-Arm Dumbbell Row. 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x

Wednesday (Legs, Tri's)

(Legs)

Squats 5x sets (8-10 reps) last set I go to failure
    Leg Extension 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Leg Curls 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x

(Tri's)

Rope Pushdowns 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Tricep Kickback 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x

Thursday

(Chest)
    Incline DB press 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Incline DB Flys 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Incline Cable Flys 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x

was thinking of adding Incline bench press,

(Arms)

Standing Barbell Curls 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Hammer Curls 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Concentrated Curls 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Preacher curls 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x

Some of the exercises, specifically back and shoulders will change once my children are back in school and I can hit the gym and use the machines there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if I'm over training my arms. I was thinking of changing the routine and instead of doing chest/arms... it would be chest/tri's and change back/shoulders to back/biceps

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yes- Holy Hell Squat MOAR

Are you recovering from each arm session?

Are you seeing results?

If you answered NO to either you might want to rethink your strategy. If you answered YES to both then maybe continue on until one of those changes to a NO then reassess.
    ☻/
    /▌
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    They're such a small muscle and they don't need that much work.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Looks a lot like Obi Obadike's program only I dont think he trains to failure endlessly, and the second chest and biceps WO is light and with different exercises than the first chest and biceps. And his is more reasonable volume.

Id be worried about developing tendon issues with as much work as you have in there OP. YMMV.

You could google his 4day program I think its a little more resonable if you are set on that general type setup.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Holy bicep curl Batman!
    ALL I ASK IS ALL YOU GOT FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Dump half the arm work, dump half the isolation/accessory stuff, add more compounds/main lifts; win.
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Any upper body push excercise will also hit tris and any pull will also hit bis. You don't need to do a lot of tri/bi isolation if you do mostly compound work.

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by PiperBill View Post
    Any upper body push excercise will also hit tris and any pull will also hit bis. You don't need to do a lot of tri/bi isolation if you do mostly compound work.
    Although I guess this is technically correct Id imagine if you want bigger arms isolation is a good place to get it from. IDK, I'm just a fat powerlifter who curls to keep my elbows from barking.
    ☻/
    /▌

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

Has new batteries! DuracellBunny's Avatar
    DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DuracellBunny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Jtbny View Post
    Although I guess this is technically correct Id imagine if you want bigger arms isolation is a good place to get it from. IDK, I'm just a fat powerlifter who curls to keep my elbows from barking.
    In all fairness, OP has tricep kickbacks in there. TRICEP KICKBACKS! He can ditch some of the isolation stuff
    Screw nature; my body will do what I DAMN WELL tell it to do!

The only dangerous thing about an exercise is the person doing it.

They had the technology to rebuild me. They made me better, stronger, faster......

Originally Posted by DuracellBunny View Post
    In all fairness, OP has tricep kickbacks in there. TRICEP KICKBACKS! He can ditch some of the isolation stuff
    Totally agree although you haven't lived until you kick your tris back
    ☻/
    /▌

nopulse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I appreciate the input everyone. I never used to do shoulders and when I started doing Isolation exercises for it, man they grew! I read that doing chest and tri's together is a good combo since when your doing your chest, you're using your tri's. And same thing with back and biceps. Was thinking of maybe combining them as well and just one day of arms instead of two.

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP, why do you think you need to do so many curls to train your arms?

Pick two bicep movements and stick to them. The bicep is such a small muscle why would anyone think more is better for them?
    On the list for Bannukah

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I an not a big believer in the effectiveness (or efficiency) of isolation work in general. I have always focused on building my programs around large compound movements with a small amount of isolation if any. But regardless of my personal feelings, I dont know of ANYONE who would think what you are doing is an effective program.

Ditch your program and find one that stresses progressive resistance and compound movements. Even at my greatest training loads, I still dont do half (maybe not even 1/4) of what you have laid out. That is over the top. That leads me to wonder in general about your ability to train or even your basic understanding of what might be effective for yourself. My only advice is to do a PROVEN program and see what it means to train in general. Throw out about everything you have been doing and start from scratch.
    RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) so-tex has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by nopulse View Post
    I work straight weekends (Fri to Sun), 12hr shift, so when I get home I'm usually drained, so I can only train 4 days (Mon to Thurs) Since I can only train 4 days, i try to double up on some my exercises, particular arms and chest. I'm wondering if I'm training my arms too much. Any help would be appreciated

Here is my routine for the week

Monday (Chest,arms)

(chest)
    Decline DB press 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Delcine DB Flys 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Delcine Cable Flys 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x

was thinking of adding Decline bench press, not sure it that's overdoing it

(Arms)

Tuesday (back, shoulder)

(shoulder)

Shoulder Shrugs 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Barbell Upright Row (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Dumbbell Side Lateral Raises (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Seated Dumbbell Shoulder Press 10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x

(back)

Deadlifts 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure
    Barbell Bent over rows 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure
    Wide Pulldowns 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Single-Arm Dumbbell Row. 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x

Wednesday (Legs, Tri's)

(Legs)

Squats 5x sets (8-10 reps) last set I go to failure
    Leg Extension 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Leg Curls 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x

(Tri's)

Rope Pushdowns 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Tricep Kickback 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x

Thursday

(Chest)
    Incline DB press 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Incline DB Flys 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x
    Incline Cable Flys 5x sets (10-12 reps) last set I go to failure, and then wait 10 sec and go to failure. repeat 3x

was thinking of adding Incline bench press,

(Arms)

Some of the exercises, specifically back and shoulders will change once my children are back in school and I can hit the gym and use the machines there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if I'm over training my arms. I was thinking of changing the routine and instead of doing chest/arms... it would be chest/tri's and change back/shoulders to back/biceps
    Why are you doing declines for your chest routine?
    They're worthless imo.
    My workout routine is similar to yours, but I do back/shoulders
    Legs
    Chest/biceps.
    Doing back/shoulders after chest day where your shoulders are involved is overkill imo.
    Too many bicep exercises.
    I keep mine down to around 9-15 sets max.
    You get plenty of bicep work on back day.
    I don't work triceps, because I think mine get plenty of work on chest and shoulder day.
    My basic routine is something like this.
    Back and shoulders:
    Back extensions:
    4×20
    Deadlift 3×6-10
    Pullups 4×10
    Bent over rows
    4×6-10
    Cable rows
    4×8
    Farmers walk 3 sets

shoulders
    Lateral raises 4x12
    Standing barbell presses.
    4×8
    Upright rows 3×8
    dumbell presses
    3x8
    Facepulls 4×8-12

Legs.
    Squat:
    4×8-12
    RDL's
    4×8
    Hack squat machine
    4×10
    Kettlebell swings 3x10
    Leg curls 4×10
    Goblet squats 4×10
    Standing calf raises. 4×6-15
    Seated calf raises 8-15
    Chest and biceps.
    Bench press 3×8
    Incline dumbell press
    4x8-12
    Dips 4×8
    dumbell flies 4x12
    Pec deck 4x10-12
    Biceps
    Barbell curls
    4×8-12
    hammer curls 4x8-12
    incline or preacher curls 3x10
    Reverse barbell curls 3x10
    Last edited by so-tex; 09-01-2016 at 10:49 PM.
    I like to ride my horses and shoot my guns

pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000) pondman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Don't know why someone would want to train the upper arm so much. I personally fish in wilderness areas that don't allow motors, so I do train my forearms more than most people, for rowing across a lake for an hour. Generally when I do leg days, I'm 90% dead, and only want to do complementary lifting, and everything else afterwards might get too sloppy. No way would I be able to do your Tuesday-- not the way I dead lift. It's not only most of your workout isn't complementary, but some days seem to be way over taxing and timely. I'd rather hit the big lifts, and then play basketball or box or do something interesting.