Bruteranger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Difference between strength and mass.

I often read on these forums when people compare workout programs they often use the terms strength and mass, but I am confused as to what the difference between the two is?

How can you get stronger and stay the same size? It was my understanding that lifting weight is directly correlated to the amount of muscle mass. If on week 1 I'm able to lift 100 lbs and two weeks later I can lift 150 lbs, havent I gained muscle mass and strength?

How can you gain mass and not strength? Also how can you gain strength and not mass?

May be a silly question but I find it very confusing.

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Strength is a neurological process, in which the body learns to recruit more muscle fibers. More muscle fibers being recruit = more strength.

Adding mass and training for strength = even more strength.
    "Do not subordinate fundamental principles to minor details."

Physiotherapy instagram
    https://www.instagram.com/dayyan.physio/

Okay so let me get this straight:

more mass = more strength
    but more strength doesn't necessarily require more mass?

shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000) shaneee is just really nice. (+1000)
    i'd say that you can get stronger without getting much bigger at all/even limiting it to stay in weight classes and things like that
    but you can't get much bigger at all without getting stronger

whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It's like this

More Mass: More Potential Strength
    More Strength: Easier to gain muscle (depending on your level of training)
    Strength training: Little mass, lots strength
    Mass Training: Lots Mass, Little Strength

Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000) Strength.Honor is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Bruteranger View Post
    Okay so let me get this straight:

more mass = more strength
    but more strength doesn't necessarily require more mass?
    Basically, yes.

Originally Posted by whizkyy View Post
    It's like this

More Mass: More Potential Strength
    Strength training: Little mass, lots strength
    Mass Training: Lots Mass, Little Strength
    And kind of this.

Increasing mass increases the ability to get stronger. But getting stronger does not necessarily mean you will be putting on mass. However, mass alone is not an accurate indicator of strength.
    www.bodyology.me

"Be Audacious."

blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) blkbelt42 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    diet

It's like this

According to this, it makes more sense to start training strength THEN progress to mass training. Correct?

mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mormonpickett has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    to me it makes sense to train for both at once....

10, 8, 6, 4 for your sets. That's what I did like my whole first 3 years of training
    The 2 most important things to me when training are 1. The Muscle Mind Connection. and 2. Intensity

NSCA Certified Trainer
    NPC Competitor
    Utah State Firefighter

whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) whizkyy has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Bruteranger View Post
    According to this, it makes more sense to start training strength THEN progress to mass training. Correct?
    Not really, unless you want to be strong first. Because it works out longer if you take how long you train strength. I would suggest train for both...like 8-10 reps, that's what i've been doing

The reason I ask is that I am flip flopping between All pro's beginner routine (the rep progression one) and what i'm currently doing (stronglifts 5x5).

ocarinanoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ocarinanoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ocarinanoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ocarinanoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ocarinanoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ocarinanoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ocarinanoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ocarinanoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ocarinanoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ocarinanoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250) ocarinanoob has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm doing stronglifts too...

What I did was add some accessory work from the old stronglifts 5x5. These are:

1. Pull ups
    2. Chin ups
    3. Reverse Crunches
    4. Planks
    5. Dips

That way I might actually start looking like I lift with a strength routine!
    Goals D/S/B = 405/315/225
    Strength training only crew
    Currently cutting

@Ocarinanoob

We actually started stronglifts on the same exact day
    Few questions for you:

1. Do you add the supplementary excercises to both Workout A and B or do you split them up?
    2. How many sets/reps of each?
    3. What was your starting weight for your compound lifts? Since we started at the same time I think it'd be interesting to track and compare your progress to mine, but I started at incredibly low weight (just the barbell on most lifts) so you may be well beyond me.

XxDuramaxX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Not really, unless you want to be strong first. Because it works out longer if you take how long you train strength. I would suggest train for both...like 8-10 reps, that's what i've been doing
    Mass and strength 8-10 reps? no. 3-5 reps

SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50) SamTek will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    More mass = more POTENTIAL for strength, but not necessarily more strength.

The two are unrelated. There are so many people with 18 inch arms out there with 20kg BB curls its rediculous.