Thread: breakfast?

Resident Libertarian gigahertz123's Avatar
    gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

breakfast?

So I'm developing mixed opinions on breakfast.

I feel like I have been instructed that I need breakfast despite the fact that my body doesn't want it, and eating breakfast usually makes me hungrier during the day. It also makes it more difficult for me to maintain the caloric deficits I am trying to keep. I'm more satisfied with two larger meals than three smaller meals throughout the day.

Most days my breakfast is an EC stack and a multivitamin. Does anyone see any reason to change this?
    Anarchy now
    peak weight: 227
    goal: 170 and 12%bf
    current: 180lb 25%bf

I may be fat, but you're ugly.

IFBB Amateur, M. Physique ArchangelEST's Avatar
    ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I do not consume a traditional breakfast. www.leangains.com - Meal timing and frequency is largely irrelevant.

I cannot say anything about your EC stack and multi usage. Not really up to date on that. But multivitamin consumption is usually not needed and can possibly do more harm than good depending on what multi you are using and the rest of your nutrition.
    Owner of:

www.Aspartame-Research.com
    www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler

of the Homeric tradition DerUbermensch's Avatar
    DerUbermensch will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerUbermensch will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerUbermensch will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerUbermensch will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerUbermensch will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerUbermensch will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerUbermensch will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerUbermensch will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerUbermensch will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerUbermensch will become famous soon enough. (+50) DerUbermensch will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've always gotten a sore stomach from consuming a traditional breakfast, so I stopped eating it in high school. Now come to find out, they've created a diet protocol around not eating it.

Just skip it OP.

Resident Libertarian gigahertz123's Avatar
    gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50) gigahertz123 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ArchangelEST View Post
    I do not consume a traditional breakfast. www.leangains.com - Meal timing and frequency is largely irrelevant.

I cannot say anything about your EC stack and multi usage. Not really up to date on that. But multivitamin consumption is usually not needed and can possibly do more harm than good depending on what multi you are using and the rest of your nutrition.
    The multivitamin is somewhat necessary for me because I am on blood thinners (coumadin) which is affected by large doses of vitamin K such as those found in leafy greens, so I am somewhat vitamin deficient otherwise. I'm using just a basic daily multi.

Repped for confirming what I was thinking. Any other input is appreciated!
    Anarchy now
    peak weight: 227
    goal: 170 and 12%bf
    current: 180lb 25%bf

I may be fat, but you're ugly.

sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Only thing I would change is taking the multi with food so you can absorb the fat soluble vitamins.

There's lots of dogma surrounding breakfast, none of it is true. Nail your calorie and macro goals for the day and you're golden.
    Who do men say that I am?

Come at me, bro! foodandfitness's Avatar
    foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) foodandfitness is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by gigahertz123 View Post
    So I'm developing mixed opinions on breakfast.

I feel like I have been instructed that I need breakfast despite the fact that my body doesn't want it, and eating breakfast usually makes me hungrier during the day. It also makes it more difficult for me to maintain the caloric deficits I am trying to keep. I'm more satisfied with two larger meals than three smaller meals throughout the day.

Most days my breakfast is an EC stack and a multivitamin. Does anyone see any reason to change this?
    OP, I wouldn't worry about eating breakfast if you don't like to. I personally don't feel hungry in the morning. I just have a glass of OJ in the morning just to get a little food energy, and then eat regularly when my appetite comes back. Do whatever suits you best.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I "breakfast" at lunchtime.

OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

That's contradictory by itself.
    John "The pro architect" Hollywood

http://teamhollywoodmilitia.com/
    http://www.johnotishollywood.com/#

*Diet & training nutritionist, coach & Contest prep. coach* Private Message me for rates

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by OtisBDriftwood View Post
    Can you elaborate.

musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    He's saying that when you eat your meals and how many meals in a day you eat (timing and frequency) play little to no part in body composition.
    How is that contradictory?

PushUp08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PushUp08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PushUp08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PushUp08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PushUp08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PushUp08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PushUp08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PushUp08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PushUp08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PushUp08 will become famous soon enough. (+50) PushUp08 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I used to not be hungry in the mornings either, but I forced myself to start eating a little oatmeal and then gradually was able to eat a full meal. Now I can't do anything in the morning until I've eaten. I love me some breakfast
    Whatever that means

ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I suppose you are referring to the fact that IF is a specific system which does somewhat emphasize a specific meal timing pattern?

Yeah. I am aware. But that's nitpicking.
    Owner of:

www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler

I think the point is that IF works, 9 meals a day works, and everything in between works, as long as caloric balance and nutrient sufficiency are proper. Thus, meal timing and frequency are a function of preference.

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    I think the point is that IF works, 9 meals a day works, and everything in between works, as long as caloric balance and nutrient sufficiency are proper. Thus, meal timing and frequency are a function of preference.
    Exactly. Just came in to edit my post to make it more clear, but beat me to it.

Bro's have been getting in top contest shape for decades on 9 meals a day and chicken breast and broccoli being the majority of their diet. While Martin's clientele are getting into an equally awesome shape on fasting the majority of the day, eating only a few meals and eating just about anything they desire....

So yeah. Meal choice, timing and frequency - all largely irrelevant. Over-all macros, calories and micro's matter.
    Owner of:

www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

― Alvin Toffler

OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) OtisBDriftwood has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Can you elaborate.
    Originally Posted by musikguy72 View Post
    He's saying that when you eat your meals and how many meals in a day you eat (timing and frequency) play little to no part in body composition.
    How is that contradictory?
    Trying to refute the bros by structuring a plan based around his own window and time frame. It's almost the same sh*t with the difference being that it's even more ridiculous because it preaches that you go a sh*tload of hours without eating just for the sake of it.

brb i wanna go out with my girlfriend for a nice lunch but i'm on my fasting window lol
    Give me a break!

Not saying it doesn't work because i wouldn't know but most of this crap preached around customized diets, lifestyles etc are just a piece of sh*tty marketing.

What about just eat when you want? What happened to the good ol' "i'm hungry, i'll just eat now!" ????

*Diet & training nutritionist, coach & Contest prep. coach* Private Message me for rates

You got it, champ!

Personally i started for being a "bro", i sweared by "bro-science". I evolved and got to accept all types of dieting but even if stuff like IF works, i still find it completely absurd.
    If you feel like not eating for 16-18 hours and then stuff your face in the rest of the day, more power to you but mehh! Being obsessed with timings, windows or whatever, is just not for me.
    I can see how it works, i'm not disputing that. In the end of the day, get the essential macros and cals IN VS. cals OUT.

Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Trying to refute the bros by structuring a plan based around his own window and time frame. It's almost the same sh*t with the difference being that it's even more ridiculous because it preaches that you go a sh*tload of hours without eating just for the sake of it.

brb i wanna go out with my girlfriend for a nice lunch but i'm on my fasting window lol
    Give me a break!

Not saying it doesn't work because i wouldn't know but most of this crap preached around customized diets, lifestyles etc are just a piece of sh*tty marketing.

What about just eat when you want? What happened to the good ol' "i'm hungry, i'll just eat now!" ????
    I think IF helps some people because it helps them get out of the mentality that they have to eat every few hours or right when they get up. I now eat when I'm hungry, which 80% of the time falls into a IF timeframe. As long as you don't get OCD with the feeding window, than it's not as u described.
    [If It Fits Your Macros Crew] - U Mad?

"Those who have different eating habit don't force everyone else to eat like them, yet everyone else makes their lives difficult. That's some close-minded sh*t right there"-MikeK

Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Christiffer View Post
    I think IF helps some people because it helps them get out of the mentality that they have to eat every few hours or right when they get up.
    Or it just switches the mentality to: I can only eat between 12:00pm and 8:00pm.

but even if stuff like IF works, i still find it completely absurd.
    If you feel like not eating for 16-18 hours and then stuff your face in the rest of the day, more power to you but mehh! Being obsessed with timings, windows or whatever, is just not for me.
    It's not really being obsessed about timing. I rarely keep a fixed "fasting" protocol myself. My fast varies from 12-16h actually. So I'm not a "strict IF-er" really. The point is that if I ate how much I WANTED to eat, I'd be a fat pig, because I'd stuff my face constantly.

With IF I find it nigh impossible to cram as many calories into my feeding window. It simply eliminates several hours of potential Binging time.

When I used to eat breakfast I'd be completely hungry by noon. And by the time I'd reach my evening meal, I'd be full on my calories, but still hungry. Now I eliminate breakfast, still get peckish at noon time, but now when I reach Evening, I still have a normal breakfast's worth of extra calories left over I can stuff in my face. So I can go to bed being completely stuffed... way better, than going to bed starving or having overeaten.
    Owner of:

www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

― Alvin Toffler

Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000) Christiffer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Phrak View Post
    Or it just switches the mentality to: I can only eat between 12:00pm and 8:00pm.
    Well if you already know that you can get results eating 6 meals spread out, then common sense says that an arbitrary 8 hour window isn't "necessary". Rather personal preference.

"Those who have different eating habit don't force everyone else to eat like them, yet everyone else makes their lives difficult. That's some close-minded sh*t right there"-MikeK

It's not really being obsessed about timing. I rarely keep a fixed "fasting" protocol myself. My fast varies from 12-16h actually. So I'm not a "strict IF-er" really. The point is that if I ate how much I WANTED to eat, I'd be a fat pig, because I'd stuff my face constantly.

With IF I find it nigh impossible to cram as many calories into my feeding window. It simply eliminates several hours of potential Binging time.

When I used to eat breakfast I'd be completely hungry by noon. And by the time I'd reach my evening meal, I'd be full on my calories, but still hungry. Now I eliminate breakfast, still get peckish at noon time, but now when I reach Evening, I still have a normal breakfast's worth of extra calories left over I can stuff in my face. So I can go to bed being completely stuffed... way better, than going to bed starving or having overeaten.
    I guess do whatever it works for you.

My innitial point was only that it's hypocrite from the guy who innitially preached IF to discredit something (even if he's right) over his method that is also based on the thing he tries to discredit.

musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) musikguy72 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Personally i started for being a "bro", i sweared by "bro-science". I evolved and got to accept all types of dieting but even if stuff like IF works, i still find it completely absurd.
    I can see how it works, i'm not disputing that. In the end of the day, get the essential macros and cals IN VS. cals OUT.
    I must have misinterpreted the intention behind your first post because I completely agree with your last couple.

Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000) Phrak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Christiffer View Post
    Well if you already know that you can get results eating 6 meals spread out, then common sense says that an arbitrary 8 hour window isn't "necessary". Rather personal preference.
    Right, but its just the way IF is structured and the cult like following. To many people in the IF thread worried about breaking the fast with some BCAA's or a shake.

sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sunngodd is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ITT: Nuanced thinking is hard for some people
    Who do men say that I am?

Originally Posted by Phrak View Post
    Right, but its just the way IF is structured and the cult like following. To many people in the IF thread worried about breaking the fast with some BCAA's or a shake.
    Nice edit. Fair enough, we know how that thing called common sense is around here. I havent read the thread your talking about, but I can only imagine. For me personally it just helped me get over the fact that I had to eat at certain times.(now I can just eat when I'm hungry and make sure I hit my cal/macros before I go to bed) Like many have said before, IF isn't for everyone.

My innitial point was only that it's hypocrite from the guy who innitially preached IF to discredit something (even if he's right) over his method that is also based on the thing he tries to discredit.
    It's an interesting logical mind-twister. But not really hypocrisy.

The existence of IF and the success stories coupled with it prove that the general BRO diet is not the only way to achieve results. From which any person with some logical sense will able to deduct that if both extreme methods (fasting vs 9+ meals a day) both work with similar degrees of efficiency, then everything else in-between will also work and that the frequency and timing of the meals cannot possible be a huge factor.

My argument of presenting IF is still a strong one. The easiest way to get through to people about their misconceptions is to present evidence of something completely contradictory/opposite being just as effective in achieving their results. They cannot combat that logic. They may try, but they will fail.

If instead I had just told him to read the stickies and that meal timing doesn't matter, we'd be in a big debate until he sees the light, or someone else actually posts www.leangains.com again.
    Owner of:

www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

― Alvin Toffler

I prefer the Otis diet. Off course is not advisable to everyone lol

Originally Posted by sunngodd View Post
    ITT: Thinking is hard for some people
    I fixed your post, which was previously too nuanced.

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by gigahertz123 View Post
    It's fine, assuming you don't get nauseous taking a multi on an empty stomach (many people do).