Dockrill4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dockrill4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dockrill4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dockrill4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dockrill4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dockrill4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dockrill4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Isometrics For Soccer Player

I'm starting Isometrics (as well as plyo's) to help me gain strength as well as more speed for soccer.

Do you have any exercise recommendations for isometrics that would translate on to the field (the kind of strength needed to shove people off the ball, more sprint speed, better vert'.) Should I prioritize overcoming or yielding iso's?

I'm not looking to build mass.

Jerry158 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jerry158 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jerry158 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jerry158 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jerry158 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jerry158 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jerry158 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jerry158 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jerry158 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jerry158 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jerry158 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Dockrill4 View Post
    I'm starting Isometrics (as well as plyo's) to help me gain strength as well as more speed for soccer.

Do you have any exercise recommendations for isometrics that would translate on to the field (the kind of strength needed to shove people off the ball, more sprint speed, better vert'.) Should I prioritize overcoming or yielding iso's?

I'm not looking to build mass.
    I'd focus on plyo..

Basics:
    Depth jumps, lunge hops, squat jumps etc.

You should train your core frequently as well if you want to shove people off the ball and maintain speed and form this will help... and depth jumps increase your vertical while squat jumps can improve your all round fitness and strength.

Good luck!

Dockrill4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dockrill4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dockrill4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dockrill4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dockrill4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dockrill4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dockrill4 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks mate. I'm still keen on iso's additionally, I already have plyos sorted, so do you have any preference over overcoming and yielding iso's regarding soccer?

P.s. I have no equipment.

Rugger w/ a throwing prob xxtwistedxx's Avatar
    xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10) xxtwistedxx is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    im curious as to why a soccer player would need isometrics as a standard area of their workouts?
    plyos are great (when done right) for speed. although interval sprints and anaerobic training really take priority.
    ACE-PT, NSCA, USATF-1
    danprater.blogspot.com - blog for everything related to throws, rugby, training, etc. and stuff that isnt.

Youtube
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ubertoss2000

Throwers
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122693921

Originally Posted by xxtwistedxx View Post
    im curious as to why a soccer player would need isometrics as a standard area of their workouts?
    plyos are great (when done right) for speed. although interval sprints and anaerobic training really take priority.
    I'm 15, 5 ft 3', and very very agile. I started bulking with bodyweight exercises, gained 10 pounds and this decreased my agility noticeably. I would like to give isometrics a go, why not. Also, I will be cutting while doing this (due to a bit of fat from my bulk), will i still reap the strength/explosiveness benefits from iso's and plyo's?

daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm 15, 5 ft 3', and very very agile. I started bulking with bodyweight exercises, gained 10 pounds and this decreased my agility noticeably. I would like to give isometrics a go, why not. Also, I will be cutting while doing this (due to a bit of fat from my bulk), will i still reap the strength/explosiveness benefits from iso's and plyo's?
    If you aren't a strength athlete you don't need isometric training, even then it's not neccessary. If you don't have equipment for regular strength training then it's better to do sth than anything -> go for it. If you can do single leg squats , lunges, and a lot of abs, hip flexor, obliques work then you don't need isometrics for sure.

Originally Posted by dave**** View Post
    If you aren't a strength athlete you don't need isometric training, even then it's not neccessary. If you don't have equipment for regular strength training then it's better to do sth than anything -> go for it. If you can do single leg squats , lunges, and a lot of abs, hip flexor, obliques work then you don't need isometrics for sure.
    The strength should assist in my speed, vert', and help keep me balanced and strong in physical challenges

daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The strength should assist in my speed, vert', and help keep me balanced and strong in physical challenges
    I don't know why you wrote it. I know all the benefits of strength training, that's why I suggest to do "regular" strength training with free weights. Only if you can't do it then try some isometrics, better then nothing. Got it now?

konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50) konyy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're trying to increase stregth then there are lots of bodyweight things you can do for that..For hockey we had a workout where it is all bodyweight exercsises, and we had to do a total of 800 reps. Squats, lunges, crunches, inverted rows, burpees, squat jumps etc... By the end of it I was tired. So for strength do some, pushups, burpees, crunches, russian twists, planks, chinups etc.... As for speed pylos would help alot, then again, do some anerobic stuff such as interval sprints.. jog 30 seconds, spring 10-15 seconds.. etc... Hope this helps..

studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Isometric holds are great for building strength in the tendons/ligaments... You can place them in a workout at any place... but it all depends on the results you want.

Iso Holds:
    Lunge holds (for time)- hold a lunge position with your thigh parallel to the ground. Your front leg should be on the toes... that means keeping the heel off the ground... I Challenge you to hold each leg 1.5 min for 3 sets (2min rest time between sets)

Push Up Holds (for time)- get two equal height plyo boxes or benches and place them 24 inches or so apart. Place your hands on them like you are going to do a push up (feet on ground, hands on boxes) then lower yourself down in to a position where you are very low. Note: you should not be pushing at all! Just fall into a stretched position and just sit there until you can't take it anymore.... Note: if you can last 1.20 then your hands till go numb and it will be easier!

Lat hangs (for time)- Use the pull up bar... grab onto it at any grip and just hang with your head back and relaxed... do this for time

there is a whole scheme of ways you can place them into a workout... like doing a lunge iso hold for time and then move into a plyometric exercise... it sucks but power development and body stability become greater! Good luck!

www.strengthathletes.com
    www.strengthathletes.com

"Preperation predicts outcome" -Jon Kalnas