kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

help with belt squat setup

I'm thinking about creating a belt squat setup and I was wondering if you guys have some thoughts

long story short, I hurt my back and I'm currently in recovery. I'm avoiding spine compression and shear so I can't do regular squats and I'm thinking about trying out belt squats as an alternative

since this is just for the meantime and I'm planning on jumping back to regular squats after I recover, I really don't want to spend too much time and money on getting the setup. I'm thinking something I can setup with around $100 that I can complete in maybe a week of buying and waiting for shipping

For the setup, I don't have a cable/pulley machine so I'm thinking belt with free weights. I've read about using a landmine with a barbell and the weights and the belt on the other side, thinking about trying this too since I already have a landmine setup in my gym.

my ideal setup is getting an IronMind Super Squats Belt and some nice plyo boxes but obviously this wouldn't fit my budget.

so now I'm thinking about using an Iron Mind dipping belt (rated for 1k lbs so this should be good) or a spud inc squat belt for the belt. the spud ink one looks tougher but it looks like it's designed for a pulley setup so I'll also have to grab caribiners and a chain or some sort of harness to attach the weights. Ironmind one, I've read a lot of good things on this plus I can use it for dips and pullups so it's nice. Although I'm not sure if it'll last long with squats because it's designed for dips.

as for the plyo boxes, I can't DIY much so building one myself is out. I read about using benches but I only have one bench so this is out too. Other things I've read is using milk crates (won't be able to support much weight i think), step stools (usually only rated up to 250lbs), sprinkler valve covers (not sure about weight support)

any other thoughts on the belt or the boxes?

Thanks

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by kitkat12012 View Post
    any other thoughts on the belt or the boxes?
    For the boxes, take a stroll through your local Home Depot or Lowes (or whatever other like store you have in your area). Look at things like cinder blocks for getting you up off the floor. You may see something that's even better than this idea...

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by kitkat12012 View Post
    my ideal setup is getting an IronMind Super Squats Belt and some nice plyo boxes but obviously this wouldn't fit my budget.

so now I'm thinking about using an Iron Mind dipping belt (rated for 1k lbs so this should be good) or a spud inc squat belt for the belt. the spud ink one looks tougher but it looks like it's designed for a pulley setup so I'll also have to grab caribiners and a chain or some sort of harness to attach the weights. Ironmind one, I've read a lot of good things on this plus I can use it for dips and pullups so it's nice. Although I'm not sure if it'll last long with squats because it's designed for dips.
    One thing to consider with with either of those dip belts is that you have no rear attachment point. The IronMind Super Squats belt has a loop at the rear of the belt to which you can clip. Whenever I've done belt squats, I've always used both attachment points. I'm not sure how it'd feel without that support from the rear. It might not matter; I just don't know. (My guess is that it'll put a lot more weight in front of you making an already quad dominant exercise even more quad dominant...)

Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kodokan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I feel your pain, having herniated l5-s1 in the past and had sciatica for months. Honestly, I think you would be better served to just rest. Seriously, just go for a walk until you're more recovered. Most likely you can return to normal squats / deadlifts, but depending on what your injury is in the short term (which could be months), you may just be sidelined.

I have the ironmind belt and have tried all kinds of belt squat setups while my back was screwed up. The best for me was taking it into a gym which had a vertically oriented smith machine, which i could loop it underneath and squat...starting at the top.

Every kind of bar-latched belt squat setup is a huge pain and awkward. You can get used to it, but it will always be pretty miserable. A loading pin and cinder blocks can get you the right ROM...but then there's no great way to 'bail' unless you like sitting on steel pins. Plus, you start at the bottom which is of course not ideal if you use a full ROM. A smith or some kind of pulley system is much more usable...but the bigger picture is that you may just be better off to completely rest, completely heal...then just work back into normal stuff.

That's just my take on it...I felt I made my own recovery longer by screwing around and getting 'antsy'. Backs just suck and take a long time to heal, and even longer if you continually 'tweak' them while recovering.
    Last edited by Kodokan; 10-14-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    Every kind of bar-latched belt squat setup is a huge pain and awkward. You can get used to it, but it will always be pretty miserable. A loading pin and cinder blocks can get you the right ROM...but then there's no great way to 'bail' unless you like sitting on steel pins. Plus, you start at the bottom which is of course not ideal if you use a full ROM. A smith or some kind of pulley system is much more usable...
    I haven't tried it, but I think connecting the belt to a Smith machine bar is an awesome idea. I'm intrigued too by the idea of connecting the belt to a barbell hooked up to a landmine. (That idea appeared in a different thread a few days ago.)

Below are pictures of the belt squat set-up that I was using for a while. I originally posted these photos elsewhere.

This arrangement allows me to start at the top and I've been able to bail with it by just setting the weighted loading pin on the floor and then stepping off of the platforms. Bailing a little bit awkward, but it's not too bad. The Ironmaster Super Bench is there just for stability. You could use something like a power rack just as easily.

kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kitkat12012 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Kodokan View Post
    I feel your pain, having herniated l5-s1 in the past and had sciatica for months. Honestly, I think you would be better served to just rest. Seriously, just go for a walk until you're more recovered. Most likely you can return to normal squats / deadlifts, but depending on what your injury is in the short term (which could be months), you may just be sidelined.

I have the ironmind belt and have tried all kinds of belt squat setups while my back was screwed up. The best for me was taking it into a gym which had a vertically oriented smith machine, which i could loop it underneath and squat...starting at the top.

Every kind of bar-latched belt squat setup is a huge pain and awkward. You can get used to it, but it will always be pretty miserable. A loading pin and cinder blocks can get you the right ROM...but then there's no great way to 'bail' unless you like sitting on steel pins. Plus, you start at the bottom which is of course not ideal if you use a full ROM. A smith or some kind of pulley system is much more usable...but the bigger picture is that you may just be better off to completely rest, completely heal...then just work back into normal stuff.

That's just my take on it...I felt I made my own recovery longer by screwing around and getting 'antsy'. Backs just suck and take a long time to heal, and even longer if you continually 'tweak' them while recovering.

using a smith machine is a sweet idea

as for resting, maybe I'll take another two weeks off, I'm due for a deload anyways

thanks

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    One thing to consider with with either of those dip belts is that you have no rear attachment point. The IronMind Super Squats belt has a loop at the rear of the belt to which you can clip. Whenever I've done belt squats, I've always used both attachment points. I'm not sure how it'd feel without that support from the rear. It might not matter; I just don't know. (My guess is that it'll put a lot more weight in front of you making an already quad dominant exercise even more quad dominant...)
    good point on the rear attachment issue. I'll probably spring for the super squat belts instead

also I read your reviews for this belt on that one link you posted. very nice review. thanks