shanz3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Jiu Jitsu question

Hi My Name is Shantelle,

I have just started competing in Jiu Jitsu comps. I am fairly fit and have a little bit of muscle. I have about 5 months until my next comp. If my goals are to build up my power and strength so that I am the strongest I can be for my comps. What would be the best program to do for training for jiu jitsu where my main goal is to build up my strength and power, but I also need to be explosive and have endurance?

Hope somebody can help.
    Shantelle
    Nothing comes without hard work and dedication. We are our own demons and angels.

Phyziks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phyziks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phyziks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phyziks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phyziks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phyziks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phyziks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phyziks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phyziks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phyziks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Phyziks has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would say try some kettle-bell training for explosiveness. For overall strength and power, definitely heavy compound lifts. You should train like a power lifter.

wayno1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayno1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayno1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayno1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayno1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayno1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayno1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayno1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayno1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayno1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50) wayno1986 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    what weight are u looking to compete in if u are not worried about putting on some kgs try bulking then condition
    Originally Posted by shanz3 View Post
    Hi My Name is Shantelle,

I have just started competing in Jiu Jitsu comps. I am fairly fit and have a little bit of muscle. I have about 5 months until my next comp. If my goals are to build up my power and strength so that I am the strongest I can be for my comps. What would be the best program to do for training for jiu jitsu where my main goal is to build up my strength and power, but I also need to be explosive and have endurance?

Hope somebody can help.
    Shantelle

nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I did BJJ and was undefeated in competition. I did explosive lifts like snatches, hang cleans, power cleans, etc. 3-4 times a week.
    Champions are not born. They are built.

You wondered if all the pain and sacrifice is worth it...now you know.

Gold medals aren't made of gold. Not really. They're made of sweat, dedication, and a hard to find alloy called guts.

Everybody wants to win. But not everybody is willing to do what it takes.

RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RMBros has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I 2nd the motion for Olympic Lifts (snatch and clean and the related power versions of each).

I also used the lower back/posterior chain strength from Deadlifts a lot - but mainly for take downs from knees or feet.

You should probably work on your grip strength as well, especially if you are competing in Gi tourneys - if you have an old Gi, you can specifically train Gi gripping by cutting it into strips then using the strips to do any kind of pulling movement in the gym (pullups, curls, etc - even just looping the material around a heavy DB and doing a static hold can help your grip).

I haven't done this one, but you can also train your bump by putting a BB across your hips to simulate the weight of an opponent - it looks pretty sexual, so this one may not work in a public gym if you embarrass easily.

nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nightrain36 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    HIIT also works well. Shorts sprints as well as 5 minute hard running time periods with 1 minute breaks...this will help you with conditioning for each round. In addition it helps with leg speed/power.
    Champions are not born. They are built.

You wondered if all the pain and sacrifice is worth it...now you know.

Gold medals aren't made of gold. Not really. They're made of sweat, dedication, and a hard to find alloy called guts.

Everybody wants to win. But not everybody is willing to do what it takes.

orka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) orka has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Try incorporating towel pullups to your back/bicep days, as they are great for your grips! There are also many jiujitsu-applicable exercises you can perform with the bulgarian bag if you have access to one.

But most importantly, you need to always keep your core strength in check. Even without equipments, there are many exercises you can perform on the mat that will help you improve your jiujistu-applicable core strength, such as performing animal drill supersets.
    Last edited by orka; 10-19-2011 at 09:38 AM.
    'We are all one' - Genki Sudo