BuffBubbles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffBubbles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffBubbles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Adapting to Lower Carbs

This isn't necessarily related to bodybuilding, but I wanted to ask it here since you guys tend to eat fairly low carb, certainly in comparison to my typical intake:

Thanks to intestinal bacterial overgrowth, I have had a few periods of time where I had to restrict all forms of starches and sugars [even things like oats and fruit]. My symptoms usually clear up within 24hr and I start to feel a lot better with digestion issues after about 3 days. I am supposed to maintain that base for a couple weeks and then slowly introduce sugar and starch sources--starting with unrefined, prebiotic rich sources.
    Unfortunately, I have yet to do this and heal completely. I usually stick to the fat/protein diet until I start to feel better, then get tired of feeling so half-alive without my carbs and sugar and let the cravings take over and resurrect me. Evenutally, the chronic symptoms become worse and I go back to that base to reset....

I am ready to end this cycle for good, knowing what lies ahead and determined not to repeat the same pattern.

I am wondering if I Just have to suck it up, or if there are ways to feel better despite lack of carbs? Even when I keep my total kcals the same I feel tired, chilled, sluggish, and really struggle with my training.
    I know from careful tracking over the last couple years that I feel best at 5-600g carb/day and while I don't feel bad at 300g, even that starts to compromise my performance. To be honest, I have more starvation symptoms when my carbs are low than when my kcals drop!
    I think I may also be in an awkward place for what my body has to use because I'm not at a level to be in ketosis: I still get ~200g carbs/day since I can have legumes and yogurt + the 5g/serving of a lot of nuts and PB that I use to fill my rather high calorie balance.

Do you think its possible for my body to adapt if I stick it out? Is there anything I can do so it's less hard on my system? Does anyone have experience with going through these effects of reducing carb intake?

paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000) paulett is just really nice. (+1000)
    200g of carbs a day is not low carb. 100g is pushing it. Low carb diets are typically around 50grams a day. Low carb diets can cause electrolyte loss due to insulins effect on water retention. That is why many low carb diets instruct you to eat foods rich in potassium.

I think your issues are due to something else, as you are not eating low enough carbs. Sound like hypothryoid symptions - cold, sluggish, tired.

CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I know what you're trying to do and yes it will get better. Getting off all of the breads and sugars is hard but it does turn around. It took me a couple weeks. I've recently found out I have a pile of allergies, one of which is yeast. It's in everything. My diet pretty much consists of meat and veggies. You do get all of those feelings you're having when you stop eating all the yummy carbs and start eating just veggie carbs. Try taking some glutamine to help heal your gut and some probiotics and don't forget plenty of water. Here's a link for you.
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/foodstoeat.htm
    You may delay, but time will not - Ben Franklin

Registered User HopeSmallwonder's Avatar
    HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Girl I can really relate to that sluggish feeling of no engery. I compete myself and hate that feeling. I supplement with alot of veggies. Pounds of broccilli a week sometimes LOL and lots of caffine pillls. Sorry to hear about your crazy belly problems lol, def would be frustrating. Your body over time will become more acustom to the low carbs, but it does take time. Your high carb day are very high so you must not be to carb sensitive. See if waxy maze works for you and your system. I used to use it before workouts and loved it!
    Follow me on ********!
    http://www.********.com/profile.php?id=100000582781653

Infinite Labs Model

gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm eating lower carb - around 100g a day, though I find it hard to stick to. Mainly I manage by really reducing my starches, so most of my carbs come from fruit, vegetables, and dairy. Most of the time I feel ok, and I do a fair amount of cardio in addition to my weight workouts. I run at high intensity 3 x 45 min a week + 2 x 60 min high intensity spin classes. It was tough in the beginning, but my body seems to have adjusted To compensate for the lower carbs, I've increased my fats. Since I generally eat reduced fat dairy and lean meats, I supplement with fish oil and MCT oil (from coconuts).

Your body's preferred source of energy is carbs, but it can adjust to being more efficient at burning fat for fuel. It just takes a bit of time.

Can't you just go gluten free or does it really have to be carb free?

girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000) girl81 is just really nice. (+1000)
    600g carbs/day = 2400calories.
    What are your protein and fat daily intakes?
    ------------------------

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
    Matthew 22:36-40

BuffBubbles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffBubbles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BuffBubbles has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you all for the encouragement and support. It helps as I feel so "out there" with my wacky body and its needs vs. what I want to do just "eating anything."

This week has been quite the rollercoaster as I put my action plan together to really finish the job here. I went from the best I've felt in my life [GI] to problems so bad they almost preveted me from racing this past weekend--something that hasn't happened since my lowest point. I realized then that I usually compromise the diet I need for digestion to feel good and perform well--but ultimately, I need the full healing and general function in order to get the most out of my athletics.

I will update you as I get my act together--asap! I had a taste of "real" working digestion like I'd never experienced even while I stabalized in the past and I want that. For life. I can't even imagine....
    I was sluggish and tired, but I think I can overcome that now for this priority.

Re:
    comments on "my version" of low carb. I know 1-200g isn't low carb. It is for me. I also know that my higher carb days are extreme around these parts, keto or not, but I eat 3-6000kcals daily [mode around 4K, days I struggle dip into 3000's, and 5K+ while gaining weight or in periods of high training volume].
    I also don't limit myself to only "clean" foods so it's pretty easy for carb calories to add up as opposed to if I insisted on whole grains and foods. Overall it's a pretty mixed diet that includes not only bread by the loaf and cereal/snacks by the box, but peanut butter by the jar and nuts by the pound. Protein is a bit more of a struggle since I'm not a big meat eater, but my daily intake is over 100g.

In order to maintain the diet that supports my digestive healing and GI function I amp up the fat a lot for easy calories [nuts, seeds, and whole eggs are key staples] and work harder to include meat and cheese and oils.
    I also do well with beans and sugar free yogurts which helps me get ~200g carb.
    When I cut those out I'm closer to the 100g level with the 3-5g per serving of cottage cheese, nuts, etc.

gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000) gwnorth is just really nice. (+1000)
    Out of curiosity, what kind of a training program do you follow that allows you to eat 6000 kcals a day and maintain a weight of 99 lbs????

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by girl81 View Post
    600g carbs/day = 2400calories.
    What are your protein and fat daily intakes?
    Originally Posted by gwnorth View Post
    Out of curiosity, what kind of a training program do you follow that allows you to eat 6000 kcals a day and maintain a weight of 99 lbs????
    I'm not quite getting this either...it doesn't make any sense...
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

I am a distance runner and train 1-2hr 6 days a week most of the time, with a cutback week every couple for recovery or taper.

I don't hit 6K daily, that is a high day for me, 4-5K is the mode/average.
    I hit my first 6K day before I built up my training while I was solely focused on building my body eating 5K+ kcals. Now the higher days tend to be after harder periods of training when the minute I stop to rest I just eat like crazy all day. :-)

I realize I don't fit most calculators, but I've had to get past that- I spent enough time trying to make it make sense and finally realized it's more important to do what it takes for what I want out.

I was ravenous on the amounts calculated for "weight gain" so I ate more. Still didnt gain in the 3000's so I ate more. and more. Eventually I found myself leveling off maintaining at 4K and have since spent the majority of the time with the 5K standard: first to gain, then to support peak performance as I took on an athletic lifestyle.

I set the kcal standards based on what's required for the results, and find out how to make it happen. I weigh out food to ensure I'm not kidding myself, only assuming that when I eat sealed bag/package and eat the whole thing as I tend to do, that 1lb bags of nuts or 14 serving bag of doritoes has as many servings as claimed.

I've learned what it takes and while that makes it more challenging to eat what I need for therapeutic purposes, I'm really determined to do what it takes there to not just manage, but fully heal--the next big feat for me.
    That's what I'm here for: seeking advice/support on--I know most here can't relate on the kcal level, but you all are pros on the protein based diets.
    Last edited by BuffBubbles; 10-22-2011 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo