AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100)

Shoulder Press....do, or don't do?

So I was speaking to the "powerlifter" of my sucky commercial gym. He is actually a legit guy, well not by the forum standards but by "local" standards. He can rep 405lbs bench, deadlift 500lbs etc.

Anyway, he said he rarely does direct shoulder work, ie shoulder pressing but does say that the standing barbell OHP is the best movement for shoulders (I am sure everyone here would agree!).

What do you guys say about direct overhead pressing work? Does it have good carryover to the bench ie make your bench stronger? The plane of movement is vertical and I don't see how it is beneficial? I am not doubting it, just wondering is it worth it? I know that OHP pressing over the years causes bone spurs to grow that have to be filed down (broscience lol).....and a lot of people are not flexible enough to do overhead pressing...

MuscleHQ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleHQ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleHQ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleHQ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleHQ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleHQ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleHQ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleHQ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleHQ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleHQ is on a distinguished road. (+10) MuscleHQ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by AlMuminoon View Post
    So I was speaking to the "powerlifter" of my sucky commercial gym. He is actually a legit guy, well not by the forum standards but by "local" standards. He can rep 405lbs bench, deadlift 500lbs etc.

Anyway, he said he rarely does direct shoulder work, ie shoulder pressing but does say that the standing barbell OHP is the best movement for shoulders (I am sure everyone here would agree!).

What do you guys say about direct overhead pressing work? Does it have good carryover to the bench ie make your bench stronger? The plane of movement is vertical and I don't see how it is beneficial? I am not doubting it, just wondering is it worth it? I know that OHP pressing over the years causes bone spurs to grow that have to be filed down (broscience lol).....and a lot of people are not flexible enough to do overhead pressing...
    I have found that the push press is a good movement. It is not as strict as the standard shoulder press but it allows you to use significantly more weight.

The execution assists in the development of leg drive, CNS stimulation and explosive speed and power.

As long as the movement is not overused, the push press can have a decent carry over to the bench press.

kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i highly recomend standing overhead presses.carry over to the bench?maybe.
    i never heard the bone spur thing.
    but yeah oh press is very rewarding and is a must for strongman types.
    Magic wand,MAKE MY MONSTER GROOOWWWW!!!!!!!!-Rita Repulsa

IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IzzyT is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Do.
    www.PowerliftingToWin.com

VanKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VanKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VanKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VanKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VanKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VanKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) VanKid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    do them. bench entirely misses ur shoulders its one of those things taht is around for noreason. only reason why bench is around apparently is because of ******* saftey issues. i repeat bench is big time because of saftey reasons
    Im a nutbag and have a screw loose but im sstill not as bad as you

WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldDomnit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I shoulder press and do bicep curls once a month. The reason I do them is to keep the tendons and muscles strong and healthy. In powerlifting there is zero use for bicep curls and shoulder presses.

Do rotator cuff exercises. That's more important than anything else.

But I guess if you can strict press a weight you can probably bench it.
    Bench 402 (ace)/ 385 (440 in slingshot)
    Squat 600 (predators + frantz canvas) / 441lbs
    Dead lift 551 (super centurion+ predators) /578lbs
    Power Clean 100kg x 8
    Vertical 29in

BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When I started doing standing OHP my shoulders got bigger/strong and my bench went up. Seems like a good enough reason to do them.

simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by VanKid View Post
    do them. bench entirely misses ur shoulders its one of those things taht is around for noreason. only reason why bench is around apparently is because of ******* saftey issues. i repeat bench is big time because of saftey reasons
    I must have missed the part where bench hits the front deltoids.
    Total's = Jan. 2012 - 1036 @ 198's
    Jan. 2013 - 1184 @ 220's
    Jul. 2013 - 1251 @ 220's
    Jan. 2014 - 1355 @ 242's

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    my 2 cents.

you bench raw or you use gear?

from day one the overhead press was considered important and pretty much all big benchers were also big overhead pressers. The overhead press directly works the front delt which is important in benching

in the last 10-20 years, but mainly the last 10, with the advent of the really strong and specialized bench shirts....all of a sudden overhead press isnt needed and even looked upon as detrimental.

has human anatomy changed in the last 10-20 years? if you are going to stop overhead pressing, go ahead and stop doing tri work also
    "Humility comes before honor"

samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    as a raw lifter, I think OHP is good for my bench press. It hits the shoulders/upperback/triceps. which is some of the main movers in the bench press. chest is overrated. I mean i even see some bench shirt guys doing OHP work, but that might be because theyre older(school).
    Recovering fatass

AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100) AlMuminoon is not very well liked. (-100)
    What about the bone spur thing? I don't want surgery when I am older just because of OHP.....(might be broscience?)

Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Billy_Biceps is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I think it will carryover to bench up to a point after that any carryover will be minimal. I think the bone spur thing is broscience and presses are less likely to lead to shoulder problems than benching.

BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50) BrobiWanKenobi will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by AlMuminoon View Post
    What about the bone spur thing? I don't want surgery when I am older just because of OHP.....(might be broscience?)
    I developed bone spurs in my AC joints from bench pressing. I've had surgery on one and will probably get the other fixed next summer. OHP'ing doesn't bother them at all and I can bench once every 6 months and hit PRs. I think the majority of shoulder problems are from benching, not OHPing.

samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) samsont is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I believe, that bone spurs are also a genetic thing. Some people get them, some don't. I know my father is prone to them and kidney stones because his body produces more uric? acid or something like that i'm not sure.
    Recovering fatass

BlackTieFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackTieFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackTieFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackTieFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackTieFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackTieFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackTieFitness has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Haven't really ever been to intent on them as I'm always down for increasing strength I'm going to start working them into my weekly routines..

The push presses are one of my favorite.

nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What the hell are you rambling about?

kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kinggorilla is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i accidently gave u reps when i was trying to neg your ***got ass.u have been spurting bull**** on every post,ppl who hate the bench usually suck at it.
    u r a *** kid.
    go to the butt****ing crossfit forums where u belong this is a forum for real lifters.
    Magic wand,MAKE MY MONSTER GROOOWWWW!!!!!!!!-Rita Repulsa

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you are trying to improve your bench press then adding in direct shoulder work may or may not be helpful, but if you want to be balanced/well-rounded then I would include some type of overhead pressing.

For deltoid development I would say that seated dumbbell presses are a better option than standing barbell press.
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10) UPAJudge is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by WorldDomnit View Post
    I shoulder press and do bicep curls once a month. The reason I do them is to keep the tendons and muscles strong and healthy. In powerlifting there is zero use for bicep curls and shoulder presses.

Do rotator cuff exercises. That's more important than anything else.

But I guess if you can strict press a weight you can probably bench it.
    Off topic but bicep HAMMER curls do have use in powerlifting. You should do them to stay injury free when deadlifting.

coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachdeez is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by UPAJudge View Post
    Off topic but bicep HAMMER curls do have use in powerlifting. You should do them to stay injury free when deadlifting.
    What about neutral grip pullups? You get the same elbow flexion and get upper back work with one exercise instead of two. Plus you get greater overload on the arms.

jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000) jtteg_X is just really nice. (+1000)
    OHP have their place but if you want to get stronger on the bench, well you gotta fcuking bench (floor press, pin press, boards, chains/bands, speed work, etc).

bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    out of negs for the day or you'd get some.
    don't give advice *******.

nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50) nmballa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    A guy that trains at my gym that competes occasionally swears by doing almost only shoulders and triceps for bench strength. Benches maybe once every other month or several weeks out if competing. So his philosophy is very much the opposite than the above. Not sure if he competes raw or with gear but pretty solid all around. Competes at 205, think he said he hit a 455 on bench and I've seen him pull over 600 on DL. Squat I'm not sure about. Stocky little Asian dude.

Originally Posted by coachdeez View Post
    What about neutral grip pullups? You get the same elbow flexion and get upper back work with one exercise instead of two. Plus you get greater overload on the arms.
    I think the point of curls for elbow/bicep health is to get the blood flowing without putting more stress on the area.

muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000) muscle_g is just really nice. (+1000)
    I very seldom do any type of shoulder pressing. When I do decide to do shoulder presses, after a few weeks of doing them my shoulder joints start hurting(and not in a good way). So I just don't do them very often. Most of my shoulder work is work for the side and rear delts, and I also do alot of rotator cuff work. I rarely hit front delts because I feel they get enough work from benches, boards, lockouts and stuff like that
    Last edited by muscle_g; 10-10-2011 at 01:34 PM.
    Best lifts
    615sq/450bp/500dl Multi ply
    550sq/400bp/510dl Single ply
    425sq/305bp/485dl Raw

Originally Posted by muscle_g View Post
    I very seldom do any type of shoulder pressing. When I do decide to do shoulder presses, after a few weeks of doing them my shoulder joints start hurting(and not in a good way). So I just don't do them very often. Most of my shoulder work is work for the side and rear delts, and I also do alot of rotator cuff work. I rarely hit front delts because I feel they get enough work from benches, boards, lockouts and stuff like that
    \
    for you and others with shoulder issues...

http://articles.elitefts.com/article...oulder-health/

I'm a huge fan of the inverted rows and cable Ls

hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hammerfelt has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OHP good for bench, squats and dead lifts are even better.

Raising squats and dead lifts I find makes all my other lifts go up.