Becca89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Losing last 5-10 lbs

I have tried and tried to lose these last few pounds (which all seem to be in my belly and arms). I have researched all of bodybuilding.com and other sites as well to figure out what I need to do, but it just confuses me more! Do I need to do cardio 2x a day? How many calories should I consume? Every calculator I use says something different...either 1350, or 1500, or 1750. Do I even need to count calories or go by portion sizes? I am 5' 4'', 127 lbs, 19-20% bf. I know the last bit is the last to go, but I can't even remember the last time I had flat abs and thin arms. It was when I was like 10 or 12 years old. So I know it'll be extra hard to lose since it's been around so long. My high school years I developed a bad eating disorder. I would binge at night with any food that was in the house- preferring anything sweet first and foremost. The next day I would starve myself or only drink something dumb like grapefruit juice until I got so hungry, I would binge again. So I know my metabolism got pretty messed up. I really want to lose this weight because #1, I've never been below 19% bf, never had a flat belly, never had the typical "hourglass figure", #2, I want to be able to put on whatever shirt I want each day. I know that sounds dumb, but I'm so sick of having to chose my outfit for the day based on what will hide belly fat or belly bloating the best. and #3, in 5 weeks I'm going to be a bridesmaid for my future sister-in-law's wedding and she picked a strapless dress for us to wear. I have NEVER worn a strapless dress because of arm and "bra" fat. I want to look good in that dress! Any suggestions? I know I need to really buckle down on the diet first an foremost. But any advice on what to do? Should I count calories or carbs? Do things like doing cardio on an empty stomach or not eating after 7 at night really matter? What about carb cycling or zigzagging calories? What should workouts look like? Currently I run about an hour 3-4 days a week and I weight lift 4-5 days a week. Should I be taking certain supplements? I currently take a multivitamin, fish oil and BCAA's. Advice would be much appreciated!!!
    http://ourhealthysimplelife.blogspot.com/

Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000) Ameinseto is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well, I couldn't look at your profile because I'm on my phone, but it sounds like you and I have similar body types. I have always carried my weight in my middle, and I hear you about wanting to wear any shirt you want. Rocking a sports bra at the gym has always been one of my main goals.

That being said, it sounds like you're confused. My primary advice would be to stop using calculators and don't do anything until you really UNDERSTAND the science behind what you're doing. Can you calculate grams to calories and overall macro needs? Do you know what the BCAAs you're taking do in your body? Tackle that first.

Second, and I might get a lot if flack for this, but Lyle McDonald's Ultimate Diet 2.0 has worked wonders for me. It's fast, specific, and great if you're up for it. You will be miserable and sore and tired, but you will lean out like crazy.

As a disclaimer, since I don't know you, I should also mention that UD2 is not for the inexperienced or the faint of heart. People usually underestimate their BF levels a TON at the beginning. I know I did. Like I said, my phone won't let me see your profile, or even a close up of your picture, so I give this advice under the assumption that 20% really is about where you're at.

Good luck!
    If you aren't willing to work for it, you probably don't deserve it. Victory is paid for in sweat, courage, and preparation, and if you aren't ready to lead or follow you had better be ready to get the hell out of the way.

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127157663&page=22

Thank you SO MUCH! I'll look into that diet. I'm up for the challenge!! So nice to find someone that has the same struggles. Ah, I can't even imagine the day I would be able to wear a sports bra at the gym. I'm not sure about the calculating grams to calories. I'll do some more research and figure that out. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I would not advise using the UD2 diet if you're keeping running in your program. When it comes to running, carbs are a crucial fuel and you'll need them daily.

What does your weight training routine look like and how long/far do you run?
    Last edited by kimm4; 10-06-2011 at 06:35 PM.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

Restraint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Restraint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Restraint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Restraint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Restraint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Restraint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Restraint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Restraint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Restraint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Restraint is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Restraint is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Try keto and carb cycle?

Keto is so easy since the fat satifies you hunger all day

Originally Posted by kimm4 View Post
    What does your weight training routine look like and how long/far do you run?
    I run about 60 minutes 2-3 days a week and try to get at 1-2 20 minute HIIT runs in a week. As far as weight lifting, I'm always switching it up. Currently I'm following Jamie Eason's new video series.

Originally Posted by Restraint View Post
    Try keto and carb cycle?

Keto is so easy since the fat satifies you hunger all day
    That seems to be what everyone says works best to drop those last few pounds. I'll do that! Thank you!

98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10) 98shadow is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I went years hanging on to those last 10 pounds. July 4th I started the Dukan diet which has turned into a
    not so strict paleo diet. I have lost about 12 lbs. I feel great, have started running again. I am 4 pullups away
    from my goal. I know everyone does not agree with this but I usually only eat 3 times a day and I don't eat
    very much BUT it is working for me. I have plenty of energy, sleep like a rock and feel strong. I feel that I can
    continue on this plan for a LONG time

oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) oregonchick76 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yes, you do need to count calories (and make sure you're accurate - weigh and measure). Personally, I'd go with a zigzag diet - lots of different approaches to this, but the way I do it is I eat very low one day, and on that low cal day it is very high in protein but low in everything else, and the next day I eat at maintenance, or even a little bit above. It works out to about 1200 on my low days and 1600-1800 on my up days. I have been able to slowly lose fat but also gain strength on this diet. Also, it helps with compliance on the low days to know you'll be eating more the next day.

I would make lifting #1. I love a full body routine 3 x per week. Squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, bent over row, lat pulldown, chin ups. Lift heavy, 3 sets, 6-8 reps. I'd do less cardio than you're doing - probably not more than 3 sessions of 30 min.
    "Start where you are. It's never too late to change your life."

falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) falldown09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Becca89 View Post
    I have tried and tried to lose these last few pounds (which all seem to be in my belly and arms). I have researched all of bodybuilding.com and other sites as well to figure out what I need to do, but it just confuses me more! Do I need to do cardio 2x a day? How many calories should I consume? Every calculator I use says something different...either 1350, or 1500, or 1750. Do I even need to count calories or go by portion sizes? I am 5' 4'', 127 lbs, 19-20% bf. I know the last bit is the last to go, but I can't even remember the last time I had flat abs and thin arms. It was when I was like 10 or 12 years old. So I know it'll be extra hard to lose since it's been around so long. My high school years I developed a bad eating disorder. I would binge at night with any food that was in the house- preferring anything sweet first and foremost. The next day I would starve myself or only drink something dumb like grapefruit juice until I got so hungry, I would binge again. So I know my metabolism got pretty messed up. I really want to lose this weight because #1, I've never been below 19% bf, never had a flat belly, never had the typical "hourglass figure", #2, I want to be able to put on whatever shirt I want each day. I know that sounds dumb, but I'm so sick of having to chose my outfit for the day based on what will hide belly fat or belly bloating the best. and #3, in 5 weeks I'm going to be a bridesmaid for my future sister-in-law's wedding and she picked a strapless dress for us to wear. I have NEVER worn a strapless dress because of arm and "bra" fat. I want to look good in that dress! Any suggestions? I know I need to really buckle down on the diet first an foremost. But any advice on what to do? Should I count calories or carbs? Do things like doing cardio on an empty stomach or not eating after 7 at night really matter? What about carb cycling or zigzagging calories? What should workouts look like? Currently I run about an hour 3-4 days a week and I weight lift 4-5 days a week. Should I be taking certain supplements? I currently take a multivitamin, fish oil and BCAA's. Advice would be much appreciated!!!
    Hey Becca,

So your goal is just losing 5-10lbs of weight in general or is it more geared towards overall body composition and fat loss? Unfortunately there is no such thing as spot reduction, your body will distribute fat wherever your genetics have assigned and will lose fat according to your genetic makeup as well. You could do more to build muscle in your arms and abs but the fat will come off where it wants to come off. I was curious about your cardio sessions, you mentioned you run for about an hour 2-3 times a week and also do HIIT a couple days a week. How hard are you going on your hour runs? Also what exactly do you do in terms of weight training, can you give me a sample of your weekly routines. I've found that strengh training does more in the way of improving your body composition and fat loss as opposed to just cardio. You might not see the numbers on the scale going down much but you will more than likely see improvements in the mirror.
    There are no men like me. Only me.

Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Sawa3 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Count your calories!!! I normally keep protein higher or the same as carbs.. and it has been helpful for me. your supplements are great. Change up your routine. What are you doing with weights?
    I think if you aren't watching calories that will help you the most along with your exercise. Diet is about 90% of weight loss and gain!
    I use www.myfitnesspal.com and they have an app. Good luck
    Sarah- NASM CPT

Weighed 245 LBS after having 2nd child in April 2006
    BodPod Results:
    August '09 33.7% Body Fat at 178 lbs & down to 22.9% body fat at 151 lbs in September '11

Registered User HopeSmallwonder's Avatar
    HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50) HopeSmallwonder will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good luck with your fitness goals girl!
    Follow me on ********!
    http://www.********.com/profile.php?id=100000582781653

Infinite Labs Model