n00bz0rd2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Reducing body fat - advice needed

I'm currently working towards lowering my body fat % and would like some advice on what I could change to speed up my progress. I noticed that chest and abs are 2 areas that never seem to change. I'm not looking to get a 6 pack (although that would be a bonus), I'm just after a toned upper body.

I've tried loads of diets/plans/programs but can't really find one that works for me.

As of right now, I workout 3 times a week early morning. Usually consists of weight training then cardio.

I know eating is a big part of it and I think I'm eating pretty well. Here's an outline of what I eat on a typical week:

Morning:
    Oats
    Flax seed
    Hemp seed
    Cod liver oil
    Whey shake (only on workout days)

Mid-morning:
    1-2 pieces of fruit

Lunch (all home made):
    It's usually between: a mixed salad with chicken or turkey, no dressing; 2 small wholemeal rolls with salad, bit of mayo and deli meat (either chicken, turkey or ham)

Mid-afternoon:
    More fruit, usually some sort of berries and another type of fruit.

Dinner:
    Home made curry with rice (usually 2-3 times a week)
    Pasta
    Stir fry with chicken or turkey

All of the above is what I would have Mon-Fri. Weekends I let myself go a bit but its all in moderation.

Should I continue with what I am doing or does something need to change?

HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Be in a calorie deficit = lose bodyfat

Read the stickies for better detail.
    [Watdo?] - Want (''should'' for you naggers) bulk.

Serving true tea for weight-losers
    Literally die during squat
    Home gym-er
    Inadequate/improper lifting equipment
    Pop music sucker \m/

JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500)
    Probably try minimize the carbs later in the day, try and get a lot of them in your earlier meals, you still need carbs for your brain, but eating them at night will not give your body enough to burn them before and during sleep and may hinder your cutting goals. Also lots of cardio

HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500) HeavyMetalLover is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by JoshyCii View Post
    Probably try minimize the carbs later in the day, try and get a lot of them in your earlier meals, you still need carbs for your brain, but eating them at night will not give your body enough to burn them before and during sleep and may hinder your cutting goals.

Eat whenever you want, as long as you're in deficit, you'll lose bodyfat.

Home gym-er
    Pop music sucker \m/

JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500) JoshyCii is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLover View Post

Eat whenever you want, as long as you're in deficit, you'll lose bodyfat.
    Agreed, but depending on when you intake your calories and when you burn them can change your results. If you were to eat the majority of your meals before gym and than have a big gym session, burn a lot of calories and than eat a post-workout meal with good protein, as oppose to having breakfast going to the gym burning a lot of calories and than eating 2-3 more meals in the day some of which may not be burnt. So cutting down on carbs at night would reduce the chance of your body not burning it off and hence hindering results.

Thanks for the replies. Should I cut of the carbs completely towards the end of the day or can I replace them with something else?

Agreed, but depending on when you intake your calories and when you burn them can change your results. If you were to eat the majority of your meals before gym and than have a big gym session, burn a lot of calories and than eat a post-workout meal with good protein, as oppose to having breakfast going to the gym burning a lot of calories and than eating 2-3 more meals in the day some of which may not be burnt. So cutting down on carbs at night would reduce the chance of your body not burning it off and hence hindering results.
    No.

If you're eating less than your maintenance, you'll lose your bodyfat no matter what. Calories doesn't get burn on one time only, which in your case during the gym session. Even sitting burns calorie.

Even if you're asleep for the entire day after your gym session (no calories burned from activity), you still have your BMR that used up the calories that you have eaten (pseudo-burn).

I agree that meal timing have its benefit (I guess you implied this?), but it creates too much hassle to even think about and I doubt the benefits are worth mentioned, whereas you could still cutting successfully without ''proper'' meal timing.

Home gym-er
    Pop music sucker \m/

Originally Posted by n00bz0rd2 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Should I cut of the carbs completely towards the end of the day or can I replace them with something else?
    Do whatever you want, as long as you're in calorie deficit. Eating before your bedtime or past 6pm doesn't make you fat. Calorie surplus does.

Home gym-er
    Pop music sucker \m/

Thanks. What kind of cardio should I be doing? Interval or keeping my heart rate low?

Thanks. What kind of cardio should I be doing? Interval or keeping my heart rate low?
    Anything you prefer. Consistency first, effectiveness second when it comes to cardio.

You could even skip cardio to lose bodyfat, as only calorie deficit matters to lose fat. But, cardio is a great exercise for your health so I don't mind doing it.

Home gym-er
    Pop music sucker \m/

Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mightymuff will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    lol what?

I think you need to look at the bigger picture. If you eat 2500 calories in 1 day and burn 2500 calories in the same day your net weight gain will be 0 lbs, no matter when you ate the food or when you worked out.

As mentioned in my first post, I only have a whey shake on my workout days. I have 50g with water. Should I increase this? Also, should I have the shake on non workout days?

pims14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pims14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pims14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pims14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pims14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pims14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pims14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pims14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pims14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pims14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pims14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As mentioned in my first post, I only have a whey shake on my workout days. I have 50g with water. Should I increase this? Also, should I have the shake on non workout days?
    Read the stickies... All the answers to your questions are there. You need to figure out what your caloric maintenance level is and eat in a caloric deficit.
    May/2009-297 lbs
    Nov/2011 - 201 lbs

"Whatever hits the fan won't be distributed evenly"

Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000) Spanishdream is a name known to all. (+5000)
    When you're eating your calories doesn't matter.

How much you're eating does matter.

Brickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brickness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Brickness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by HeavyMetalLover View Post
    No.

If you're eating less than your maintenance, you'll lose your bodyfat no matter what. Calories doesn't get burn on one time only, which in your case during the gym session. Even sitting burns calorie.

Even if you're asleep for the entire day after your gym session (no calories burned from activity), you still have your BMR that used up the calories that you have eaten (pseudo-burn).

I agree that meal timing have its benefit (I guess you implied this?), but it creates too much hassle to even think about and I doubt the benefits are worth mentioned, whereas you could still cutting successfully without ''proper'' meal timing.
    Something you calories in calories out brahs forget is people who are fat have larger adipocytes which become more insulin resistant. Search for peer reviewed scientific articles and you can easily find them. So the more you have to lose the more carb/meal timing come into play. Joshycii I agree if you are having trouble with losing fat you should try eating less carbs as the day progresses AND still count your calories.
    Ron Paul 2012

TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TelusLob is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Probably try minimize the carbs later in the day, try and get a lot of them in your earlier meals, you still need carbs for your brain, but eating them at night will not give your body enough to burn them before and during sleep and may hinder your cutting goals. Also lots of cardio
    How about disregard this BS..^^

Forget healthy food and diet. Learn to count calories and macros. Figure out TDEE and eat slightly below it. Understand that at your weight and height, you don't have much muscle to show even when you have low body fat.
    Aug of 2010 - 330 lbs <--- Never Forget

nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000) nhclone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Brickness View Post
    Something you calories in calories out brahs forget is people who are fat have larger adipocytes which become more insulin resistant. Search for peer reviewed scientific articles and you can easily find them. So the more you have to lose the more carb/meal timing come into play. Joshycii I agree if you are having trouble with losing fat you should try eating less carbs as the day progresses AND still count your calories.
    Meal timing may come into effect if you're talking about a person where insulin resistance comes into play, aka the extremely overweight/obese. However, in regards to the OP, 6'1" 168 pounds. Meal timing = no concern. Also, calories in = calories out always applies, there are sometimes factors which affect the burning of calories and, therefore, the calories out part of the equation, but the general idea still applies.