nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Opening a new medium size gym...which 5-150lb set of dumbbells whould you choose?

Ivanko Urethane Dumbbells or Ivanko Pro Style Fixed Dumbbells? Cost doesn't matter for the dumbbells we just want the best. These two seem to be the best for a gym. I have never used either one of these but it seems that all the big gym chains have one of these in them. Which would you buy for a gym? thx

thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thedickus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've never used the Urethane dumbbells. They appear to be a solid head just covered in a urethane dip? Problem potentially is how do you replace the handles when idiots repeatedly drop the heavier dumbbells and bend the handles. With the Pro-Styles you just unscrew the hex nut, remove the plates and put them onto a new handle. The urethanes sure look cool but I'd probably go with the Pro-Style, unless you're really catering to high end clients who except the bells and whistles.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

My home gym pictures: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1632857623&viewfull=1#post1632857623

My workout journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120169181

PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nolan3344 View Post
    Ivanko Urethane Dumbbells or Ivanko Pro Style Fixed Dumbbells? Cost doesn't matter for the dumbbells we just want the best. These two seem to be the best for a gym. I have never used either one of these but it seems that all the big gym chains have one of these in them. Which would you buy for a gym? thx
    Based purely on aesthetics, I'd go with the Urethane.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    Problem potentially is how do you replace the handles when idiots repeatedly drop the heavier dumbbells and bend the handles. With the Pro-Styles you just unscrew the hex nut, remove the plates and put them onto a new handle.
    ^^^^This. If it's going in a commercial facility, go with something repairable.

Somewhere, there is a knucklehead who can destroy an anvil with a rubber hammer; when he comes to your gym to "train," you'd better be able to fix all the broken stuff he leaves in his wake.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50) PaulWog will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    ^^^^This. If it's going in a commercial facility, go with something repairable.

Somewhere, there is a knucklehead who can destroy an anvil with a rubber hammer; when he comes to your gym to "train," you'd better be able to fix all the broken stuff he leaves in his wake.
    Makes me wonder if there are gyms in some areas that actually get people to go out and break stuff at other gyms... :O

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by PaulWog View Post
    Makes me wonder if there are gyms in some areas that actually get people to go out and break stuff at other gyms... :O
    I don't know, but if you train enough years, in enough different gyms, you're going to see some incredibly stupid stuff done in the name of "training." True story.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    I don't know, but if you train enough years, in enough different gyms, you're going to see some incredibly stupid stuff done in the name of "training." True story.
    Oh for sure. An acquaintance of mine was in the gym once doing O-lifts with a regular stiff powerlifting bar. He then went to do deadlifts (he was deadlifting I think 500 pounds or around that), and he was doing about 8 reps per set and dropping the bar from the top (instead of doing the negative) every single rep. Needless to say he almost got kicked out.

I've never seen anything more stupid than that though. I've seen bad form, but never anything that seemed malicious.

gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gbrs5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    What's the price difference on those?
    Doing a quick search, the Urethane came up to be $16K while the Pro Style came up around $2k. If the price difference is actually that large, I would go with the Pro Style for sure.

EDIT: Nvm about $2k...that's only 5-50lb.
    "Failure is not an option. Everyone has to succeed." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"24 soldiers wisely led will defeat 24,000 without a head."

KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KeithTheSnake is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Pro-style gets my vote. I have Ivankos.

For a commercial setting, I agree with IronWill2008: You want to be able to repair them. People are idiots. They do the most reckless crap.

Is there actually any money in owning a commercial gym? How? Protein shakes and tanning beds? Vitamins?

bolaz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bolaz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bolaz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bolaz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bolaz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bolaz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bolaz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bolaz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bolaz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bolaz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bolaz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i would go with pro-style

nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nolan3344 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by gbrs5 View Post
    What's the price difference on those?
    Doing a quick search, the Urethane came up to be $16K while the Pro Style came up around $2k. If the price difference is actually that large, I would go with the Pro Style for sure.

EDIT: Nvm about $2k...that's only 5-50lb.
    On the Ivanko site for instance the 5-100lb set Urethane goes for $11,545 and the 5-100lb set Pro Style goes for $6,130. I'm not sure why the urethane almost doubles the price. If it costs that much more for just a urethane coating its not worth it to me. I would bet that the quality is pretty much the same and that is why I'm going with Pro Style. Thanks

On the Ivanko site for instance the 5-100lb set Urethane goes for $11,545 and the 5-100lb set Pro Style goes for $6,130. I'm not sure why the urethane almost doubles the price. If it costs that much more for just a urethane coating its not worth it to me. I would bet that the quality is pretty much the same and that is why I'm going with Pro Style. Thanks
    That makes complete sense. And for the amount saved, you could end up getting two 5-100lb sets of the pro style anyhow... I mean if a gym has space for it, one fancy set vs. two equally fancy sets... no brainer.

Registered User IvankoBarbellCo's Avatar
    IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm not a salesman (nor do I want to be -- in fact I love talking people out of buying stuff) but if you've decided to go with our gear, I'd suggest you went with the regular fixed dumbbells (in cast-iron the RM w/EP 1.5 or RUB w/EPR) is best. Because it's the best value.

I can tell you why we think we make the best urethane dumbbell (they're not dipped by the way -- the urethane is put into a mold with the machined steel core and chemically fused on with intense heat and pressure -- as far as I know, no one else does it this way -- at least in the US and probably overseas too -- which is more expensive but much more sturdy). We use several times more urethane than any other competitor. That's one factor for the cost -- another is that we don't simply lop off bar stock and weld the handle to the head. We mechanically fasten. There's a incremental difference in manufacturing when you get to the heavier sizes.

We've got a lot of written info. on the our different kinds of dumbbells, but we should probably do a better job of condensing down the basics for the urethane as there are a lot of claims flying around.

If you want to call me or e-mail me, I can put you in touch with Tom Ivanko who's good at taking people through the differences or answering a question about why something costs what it does or is made the way it is. Our site has his office number. Or e-mail him at tom[nospam]@ivankobarbell.com --- he can someimtes take a day or two to get back to you on e-mail, but if you don't mind the wait, he can help out.

If you want to read a few short articles on fixed dumbbells, they'll help you determine what constitutes value. It's useful info whoever you purchase from:

On what to look for in a cast-iron fixed (aka "pro-style" dumbbell):

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/f...o_urethane.pdf

On rubber dumbbells:

Design No. 51: Evolution of an Ivanko Rubber Dumbbell:

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/d...r_dumbbell.pdf

Different vs. Better: urethane & rubber freeweights.

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/t...reeweights.pdf

On urethane:

Urethane Myth: All Urethane Is Created Equal:

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/u...ated_equal.pdf

Quality vs. Junk: Value Based Purchasing for your Gym:

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/q...rcial_gyms.pdf

Nevery Give Up on Quality:

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/l...on_quality.pdf

More stuff here:

www.ivankobarbell.com/press

Thanks,

Vinko
    ()---() York Barbell Club #50 ()---()

Ivanko Barbell Company
    official website: www.ivankobarbell.com

View: //www.instagram.com/ivankobarbell
    Join: //www.********.com/ivankobarbell
    Follow: //www.twitter.com/ivankobarbell
    Watch: //www.youtube.com/ivankobarbell
    Newsletter: http://www.ivankobarbell.com/contact.html

Originally Posted by IvankoBarbellCo View Post
    I'm not a salesman (nor do I want to be -- in fact I love talking people out of buying stuff) but if you've decided to go with our gear, I'd suggest you went with the regular fixed dumbbells (in cast-iron the RM w/EP 1.5 or RUB w/EPR) is best. Because it's the best value.

I can tell you why we think we make the best urethane dumbbell (they're not dipped by the way -- the urethane is put into a mold with the machined steel core and chemically fused on with intense heat and pressure -- as far as I know, no one else does it this way -- at least in the US and probably overseas too -- which is more expensive but much more sturdy). We use several times more urethane than any other competitor. That's one factor for the cost -- another is that we don't simply lop off bar stock and weld the handle to the head. We mechanically fasten. There's a incremental difference in manufacturing when you get to the heavier sizes.

We've got a lot of written info. on the our different kinds of dumbbells, but we should probably do a better job of condensing down the basics for the urethane as there are a lot of claims flying around.

If you want to call me or e-mail me, I can put you in touch with Tom Ivanko who's good at taking people through the differences or answering a question about why something costs what it does or is made the way it is. Our site has his office number. Or e-mail him at tom[nospam]@ivankobarbell.com --- he can someimtes take a day or two to get back to you on e-mail, but if you don't mind the wait, he can help out.

If you want to read a few short articles on fixed dumbbells, they'll help you determine what constitutes value. It's useful info whoever you purchase from:

On what to look for in a cast-iron fixed (aka "pro-style" dumbbell):

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/f...o_urethane.pdf

On rubber dumbbells:

Design No. 51: Evolution of an Ivanko Rubber Dumbbell:

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/d...r_dumbbell.pdf

Different vs. Better: urethane & rubber freeweights.

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/t...reeweights.pdf

On urethane:

Urethane Myth: All Urethane Is Created Equal:

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/u...ated_equal.pdf

Quality vs. Junk: Value Based Purchasing for your Gym:

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/q...rcial_gyms.pdf

Nevery Give Up on Quality:

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/l...on_quality.pdf

More stuff here:

www.ivankobarbell.com/press

Thanks,

Vinko
    thanks for the links...all very interesting.

I have used iron hex dumbbells and then used rubber hex dumbbells at another gym and the feel when lifting is totally different to me...I wonder if the Pro Style feel different than the Urethane. I don't how to explain the feel except for maybe the balance or something just felt different. Maybe it was just mental...