arrnd99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Benefits/Disadvantages of Cross-Fit?

I'm hoping that a few of the users could help me with their opinion of the Cross-Fit workout program. Currently, I go to a traditional gym and workout on my own. I've hit a bit of plateau and am looking to change up my routine.

I'm considering switching to a Cross-Fit facility and giving their program a try. But before I do, I wanted to get some feedback regarding some users experiences with the program. I'm 6 feet tall and 185 pounds, and not looking for any dramatic weight loss or gain; mainly looking to continue to build muscle and reduce my body fat.

Any feedback is appreciated

Thank You

arrnd99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just an addition... I'm concerned about losing muscle on the Cross-Fit program since overall fitness seems to be the main goal with the program. Has anyone tried it and experienced good/bad results?

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you have been doing traditional weight training for a year+ you will most likely lose muscle mass doing crossfit. It is good for conditioning and getting lean, but it is hardly geared towards gaining muscle for anyone already in shape.

Natedearg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Natedearg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Natedearg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Natedearg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Natedearg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Natedearg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Natedearg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Natedearg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Natedearg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Natedearg is on a distinguished road. (+10) Natedearg is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I did crossfit for about a month and Id have to say it's helped me alot in regards to my lifts at the gym, as they've increased by about 15%

mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000)
    crossfit gyms are overhyped and overpriced. you can go to the main website and get the wod and do it at your own gym for much cheaper. pros: they incorporate a lot of solid, compound movements. cons: a lot of it is about speed and reps and i've noticed folk's form is horrible when racing against the clock for some of these. i agree with Jason in regards to the conditioning aspect, however there are stairs, hills, etc outside for free that would be just as beneficial.

Registered User shaolin_tiger182's Avatar
    shaolin_tiger182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaolin_tiger182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaolin_tiger182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaolin_tiger182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaolin_tiger182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaolin_tiger182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaolin_tiger182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaolin_tiger182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaolin_tiger182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaolin_tiger182 is on a distinguished road. (+10) shaolin_tiger182 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by arrnd99 View Post
    I'm hoping that a few of the users could help me with their opinion of the Cross-Fit workout program. Currently, I go to a traditional gym and workout on my own. I've hit a bit of plateau and am looking to change up my routine.

I'm considering switching to a Cross-Fit facility and giving their program a try. But before I do, I wanted to get some feedback regarding some users experiences with the program. I'm 6 feet tall and 185 pounds, and not looking for any dramatic weight loss or gain; mainly looking to continue to build muscle and reduce my body fat.

Any feedback is appreciated

Thank You
    I've been part of the CF community since 2006, and currently do not train in that manner any more although I will still program metcons in my training every now and again.

The answer to your question is it depends on the affiliate you go to. There are some affiliates that really do it right, they have an on ramp program (instructional and scaling of workouts) and they have a method to their madness (periodization...i.e. this 12 weeks is a strength focus...the next 12 weeks is....conditioning...etc). HOWEVER there are quite a bit of affiliates that seem to throw people in the deep end and tell them to swim!

You could find a place that is great or you could find a place that sucks and they either hurt you or you don't get what you wanted out of it.

Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Curlingrack is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Crossfit has no linear progression and is admittedly a random collage of Anaerobic workouts with Strength training spliced in. It works great the first month or two when your body is at the novice stage of adapting to Crossfit, but after that expect to stall.

I tried Crossfit when I was wrestling about a year ago. After a month everything tapered off, though I was an athlete beforehand so I don't know. If you're looking to lose some weight, it's a great program, or as a general fitness intro... for anything else... no.

I think 70's Big Strength and Conditioning is a much better program for what you're looking for. A few of my former teammates did it and got great results. Incremental increases in the Squat and Bench, added muscle and lost fat. Google it.

Best thing to do is try it for yourself. Maybe it works for you, plopping down money for a month's worth shouldn't be too bad of an experience.

Hope this helps.

deelanad will become famous soon enough. (+50) deelanad will become famous soon enough. (+50) deelanad will become famous soon enough. (+50) deelanad will become famous soon enough. (+50) deelanad will become famous soon enough. (+50) deelanad will become famous soon enough. (+50) deelanad will become famous soon enough. (+50) deelanad will become famous soon enough. (+50) deelanad will become famous soon enough. (+50) deelanad will become famous soon enough. (+50) deelanad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just googled '70's Big Strength and Conditioning' and it seems like it is very similar to Layne Norton's power workouts on his power and hypertrophy workout and I think either would help you break through a plataeu.

When I hit a plataeu I either change my workout more towards a high volume workout or more towards fitness, eg crossfit, and it always works for me.

Hope that helps

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Advantage: It will keep you in good overall shape
    Disadvantage: It's not a dedicated weight training program therefore don't expect the same strength gains as one.