cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Nauseous after specific workout and ideas?

I can never seem to finish my back workout. I get nauseous and have to quit. The workout is the following. Barbell Deadlifts 4 Sets 15, 12, 10, 8 reps; Bent over Barbell rows 4 sets 15, 12, 10, 8; One arm dumbbell rows 4 sets 12, 10, 10, 8; then I am suppose to do wide grip lat pull downs but never seem to make it. I get nauseous after the bent over rows. I do not know if it is the workout or the bent over rows or a combo of all. It has happened last two weeks in a row. I just started this routine. Any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,
    Aaron

Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    drink water, and breathe ... you are either holding your breathe, or not breathing correctly, in through your mouth out your nose, and make sure you are drinking water......

Use to have this same problem when I was deadlifting and doing squats or rows or bench etc...

cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10) cowboy778 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by eomrat View Post
    I would be puking halfway through that the second set of deads. Deadlifts are a max effort exercise for me.

How long have you been deployed? It took me almost two months to get used to the altitude. I was in Ghazni and I had to drag the trashcan over when I did deads or squats. It helped me to go on a short run before lifting. And, of course, I don't need to tell you to hydrate.
    I have been deployed for three months and stationed at Carson so the altitude is actually lower here. I was thinking it was a combo but don't know if anyone else had experienced that before. Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by Mitch1313 View Post
    drink water, and breathe ... you are either holding your breathe, or not breathing correctly, in through your mouth out your nose, and make sure you are drinking water......
    Trust me I drink plenty of water. I have too pee about every 30 min. That is one thing I learned from first deployment, hydrate hydrate hydrate...

Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Old-Time-Lifter has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'd cut back on the reps on deads myself and up the weight. 15 reps on deads is a bit much imho.

Thank you for your service.
    Was friends with Methuselah

a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) a-dog is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cowboy778 View Post
    I can never seem to finish my back workout. I get nauseous and have to quit. The workout is the following. Barbell Deadlifts 4 Sets 15, 12, 10, 8 reps; Bent over Barbell rows 4 sets 15, 12, 10, 8; One arm dumbbell rows 4 sets 12, 10, 10, 8; then I am suppose to do wide grip lat pull downs but never seem to make it. I get nauseous after the bent over rows. I do not know if it is the workout or the bent over rows or a combo of all. It has happened last two weeks in a row. I just started this routine. Any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,
    Aaron
    here is what I would suggest, I'm not a fan of volume (I train DC so there's very little volume). I understand some people will disagree with what I say but I would do the following:

Lets say you want to keep all of your movements. 1st I would not start with deads. As someone mentioned earlier deads are an all out movment and if you are doing them heavy enough or with enough intensity you really should not be able to do the rest of the workout you have written down. I would warm up with BB rows (this would be your first set of 15 and second of 12) I would then do 2 working sets, if you can get more than 8 reps it's too light if you can't get at least 4 it's too heavy. If you move onto DB rows next I would limit my working sets to 2 and use the same philosophy as above ( 8=too light and less than 4 is too heavy). Then I would go on to pulldowns but remember you are already warmed up from your rows so don't screw around with the 15 and 12 rep sets just jump right in and move some f'n weight.

What I just described is basically how your routine would be approached if you used the max OT protocol, if you want to do deads I would personally drop the DB rows and just do BB rows, a pulldown movement and then the deads.

my opinion is that sets of 12 and 15 are kind of a waste of time for most guys especially if you are strong enough to move a weight that's alot heavier for 8 reps. I reserve high rep straight sets to movements I am not comfortable with or a movement I know I suck at (like for me it's squats).

just my opinion on what I would try if I were you.

Originally Posted by a-dog View Post
    here is what I would suggest, I'm not a fan of volume (I train DC so there's very little volume). I understand some people will disagree with what I say but I would do the following:

Lets say you want to keep all of your movements. 1st I would not start with deads. As someone mentioned earlier deads are an all out movment and if you are doing them heavy enough or with enough intensity you really should not be able to do the rest of the workout you have written down. I would warm up with BB rows (this would be your first set of 15 and second of 12) I would then do 2 working sets, if you can get more than 8 reps it's too light if you can't get at least 4 it's too heavy. If you move onto DB rows next I would limit my working sets to 2 and use the same philosophy as above ( 8=too light and less than 4 is too heavy). Then I would go on to pulldowns but remember you are already warmed up from your rows so don't screw around with the 15 and 12 rep sets just jump right in and move some f'n weight.

What I just described is basically how your routine would be approached if you used the max OT protocol, if you want to do deads I would personally drop the DB rows and just do BB rows, a pulldown movement and then the deads.

my opinion is that sets of 12 and 15 are kind of a waste of time for most guys especially if you are strong enough to move a weight that's alot heavier for 8 reps. I reserve high rep straight sets to movements I am not comfortable with or a movement I know I suck at (like for me it's squats).

just my opinion on what I would try if I were you.
    Everyone has great input, The workout is straight from Ryan Hughes workout for building mass from this site. Order reps everything. What did seem strange to me is the amount of reps because it is suppose to add mass. I am not one to question someone as experienced as he is and thought I would give it a try. I will tell you this, I have gotten stronger the past two weeks from using it. My old routine for reps was exactly your philosophy I tried to stay around 8 and no less then 5, unless it was my last set for max effort. I might have to re-look back day, because like I said it was two weeks in a row that I felt this way. Thanks again.

Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitch1313 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Trust me I drink plenty of water. I have too pee about every 30 min. That is one thing I learned from first deployment, hydrate hydrate hydrate...

Ok, so then its your breathing obviously...

Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000) Whiskeyjack is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thanks,
    Aaron
    Looks like 16 sets with fairly high initial reps. Volume's fine but that's still a lot.

Deadlifts no more than 5 reps, IME. No need to do BB rows AND DB rows; pick one or the other (or alternate), doing 12-8 if you must pyramid. Then the pulldowns (or better still pullups). You can also fool around with the order of exercises; each has its advantages. Don't hold your breath. Make sure you get some carbs before working out, but no less than an hour prior.
    "An infraction is better than an infarction."
    - Aldington and Adlington

"Cursus sub pondere crescit."
    - Anon

jasnija will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasnija will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasnija will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasnija will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasnija will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasnija will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasnija will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasnija will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasnija will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasnija will become famous soon enough. (+50) jasnija will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    How soon are you consuming water or other liquids/solids before your WO? Sometimes when you have something (even a lot of water) in your stomach during early parts of WOs the naseous feeling can come. Your also doing some excercises early in your routine that require some bending over which compacts your midsection a little and may send some material back into the duodenum which can be painful and make one naseuos and even vomit. I used to have this problem until I started drinking my shakes or preWO drinks about an hour before the WO and not drinking anything else until I got into the meat of my routine. That's just me though, everyone is different but it is something to look at.

tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) tsoden is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    so you think about your meal BEFORE you do this routine? Make sure you got enough ENERGY to do it. I know for me, anytime I exert myself with low energy I get very Nauseous. If I eat an hour before (bowl of oatmeal and a shake) i get through fine.

Finally accused of juicin Corbi's Avatar
    Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Corbi has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Typically I only get nauseous on leg day, bunch of reps on the leg press followed by hack press and will be damn close to puking. Haven't upchucked yet but been real close.