ArmorPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmorPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmorPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmorPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmorPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmorPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmorPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmorPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmorPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmorPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ArmorPierce has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Dumb bell bench press good way to push past a wall?

Hi guys, I just want to know whether you think dumb bell bench presses are a good way to push past a wall.

Case in point, I've never been able to pass 225 one rep max on the barbell bench press over the years that I've stopped and started lifting.

Recently after lifting (but not hard core) for several months and staying at 205 one rep max (probably due to not enough protein intake) I cut down from 175 to 135 and my 1 rep max went down to 185ish, maybe 180.

Less than 3 months later with pretty much pure dumb bell bench presses (In addition to at least 200 grams of protein intake) I have reached my former peak of 225 and passed it to 245.

So what do you guys think was dumb bell bench press key?

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It doesn't sound like you have a solid routine or any sort of regularity. Furthermore, you state that you don't lift "hardcore" which sounds like you purposely limit yourself.

The first thing you need is a solid routine and consistency. If you are on a solid routine, please post a detailed routine, without knowing what kind of program you are on, it difficult to determine what is lacking in your program / diet / effort.

terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I wouldn't really count on using db press as a means of getting past a sticking point for your bb press, if your goal is to improve bb press. Although plenty of people do use them interchangeably, they are two different exercises and being good at one doesn't necessarily guarantee an advantage when it comes to the other. I would look to make other changes first, whether it means changes to your form, your rep/set range, or your diet. If your goal is upping the numbers and you got everything else in check you may want to consider possibly looking into some variation of a 5x5 scheme. Also be sure to check out the stickies in the workout section for some program ideas.

Now with that being said, there are plenty of people who do see better results by incorporating more db work into their routine and many people use them primarily. If you've decided that it's time for a change and you've tried other things to advance with no avail there's nothing wrong with switching to db's to see how you respond. Just be sure to understand that no matter what you method you choose, time and persistence are key.
    Last edited by terman1; 09-26-2011 at 05:45 PM.

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    With the way you're administering it into your workout, it's sounds more like the timing of the workout change rather than the particular exercise. You probably could have been doing machine chest press, and you might have also just been reconditioning yourself.