Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000)

Weighted Crunches?

Hey every one, I have a pretty specific question which I've kind've gotten different answers on.

Everyone's gone to a gym that has probably a Nautilus crunch machine which has weights anywhere from like 10 to maybe 150-200 lbs.

Now I've heard a lot of things about weighted crunches, so I figured I'd get a basic overview of what they're for here.

I've heard that weight crunches should be COMPLETELY AVOIDED since they increase the "bulk" of your abs, which isn't aesthetically pleasing.

I've also heard that weighted crunches are GIFTS FROM ANGELS if you're having trouble lowering your BF to under 7%, because it makes your abs more distinguishable with more BF %, maybe closer to 13%

What's the skinny?

aSmartBlonde has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aSmartBlonde has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aSmartBlonde has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aSmartBlonde has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aSmartBlonde has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aSmartBlonde has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aSmartBlonde has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aSmartBlonde has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aSmartBlonde has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aSmartBlonde has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aSmartBlonde has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Depends what your goal is. If you want nice ab that stick out in a nice-looking way when you get low bf%, do weighted exercises for sure. If you just want low bf% with flat abs, do normal exercises often.

Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000) Jeffbelittle is just really nice. (+1000)
    I guess what I'm asking is: what do each accomplish, and when shouldn't you do one or the other?

ercangur has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ercangur has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ercangur has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ercangur has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ercangur has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ercangur has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ercangur has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ercangur has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ercangur has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ercangur has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ercangur has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Abdominal muscles are small and resistant type muscles since their adaptation time is much more shorter ...

Hence, in order to gain some " Abdominal Hypertrophy " they have to be therated in stressed way rather than extensive repetitions...

In this frame, weighted crunches are the most effective way ...However, the sportler should have a previous sportive experience,condution ...The appropriate repetitions are 8 -15 depending on the capasity of the sportler...

We got a very good result after using the b/m mentioned routine for the "performance sportlers in fight sports",also hypertrophy :

-adapation,warm up : free weighted 25 crunches
    -10 kgs plate on the neck ( 2 ten kgs dumbells on the chest) or 3-4 sets of 15 reps

after a while "incline bench type motion, plate on the neck is acusing also a good result...

XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I do a scheme like this:

Mo: 20 decline crunches, 20 decline oblique crunches, 20 decline crunches. Then i take a break and do hyperextensions, then i go fo 30lbs x10, 50x10 and so forth till i reach 180 or so x10 on the nautilus, then back again to 20 decline crunches, 20 decline oblique crunches, 20 decline crunches.

We: reverse kneeling cable crunches from 60lbsx12 to 200+ (don't know what max was, but over 100kg)

Fri:Hanging leg raises, cable side bends (not that heavy, 4x10)

It put mass on my abs, specially on the topper part of them, and they still feel symetrical.
    If you want to put mass you should get heavy on them, if you want to define, go for more reps.

There is also an issue that using heavier weights and not having great form might alter the appearance of your abs in a bad way (asymetry)
    If your body cannot handle it, make sure sheer willpower will.....

So, as someone who's rather small- would I Want to add on some "bulk" to my abs before cutting them?

Also: do doing things like weighted cable crunches bulk the lower abs as much as the upper ones? I'd hate to have a huge top part of my abs and barely noticeable lower abs.

Registered User miamibodybuilder's Avatar
    miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000) miamibodybuilder is just really nice. (+1000)
    well i actually do both weighted and regular ab exercises. the reason i do both is because i treat my abs just like any other muscle group that needs that resistance in order to grow and get that nice deep detail. i actually do abs 4-5 times a week and usually i'll do 3 days of weighted and 2 days of regular exercises. i always switch up the exercises and rep ranges as well even with the weighted ones. should you avoid them completely, no way. do them and see which you like best, i assure you once you start seeing the results from the weighted crunches you'll love them.
    NGA Natural bodybuilder
    AAEFX Board Rep
    Team Natural Freak

XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Jeffbelittle View Post
    So, as someone who's rather small- would I Want to add on some "bulk" to my abs before cutting them?

Also: do doing things like weighted cable crunches bulk the lower abs as much as the upper ones? I'd hate to have a huge top part of my abs and barely noticeable lower abs.
    About reverse kneeling cable crunches.... if you can do a pyramid from 30-60-120-160-200pounds and 10 reps on each....you will get a second chestie (the upper part of your abs)....so yeah, you have to think what you want before you embark on the journey.

Happened to me, and at 17-18% BF i can see my upper abs, like i had 10%.... lower ones are somewhere under the blanket

Care how much weight you put on the exercises, so you get what you want.
    If your body cannot handle it, make sure sheer willpower will.....

KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50) KhoraskGTR will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Jeffbelittle View Post
    I've heard that weight crunches should be COMPLETELY AVOIDED since they increase the "bulk" of your abs, which isn't aesthetically pleasing.

I've also heard that weighted crunches are GIFTS FROM ANGELS if you're having trouble lowering your BF to under 7%, because it makes your abs more distinguishable with more BF %, maybe closer to 13%

What's the skinny?
    I think you pretty much answered your own question ??

it all comes down to body fat really.. you generally 'would' work your abs the same way as other muscles but because we store fat around the abdominal area it may not be the best idea to 'bulk' that area..

if you focus on bf reduction and can get it to an acceptable "aesthetically pleasing" level.. then theres no reason really to train the abs considerablly different to other areas of the body.. atleast NOT to be.. in your words.. "COMPLETELY AVOIDED"

Are there weighted activities to equally emphasize the lower abs?