nervyj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Not sure where to start?

I'm 18, around 5'8" and only weigh 130lbs so I'm underweight, but I also have bad endurance/stamina, where should I begin to improve my health overall?

Would I be better to first work on improving my stamina by doing cardio and then work on lifting? with this I fear I'd lose more weight as I struggle to hit 2-3k calories a day as it is.

I started going to a weight lifting gym two weeks or so ago to try and bulk up, but I get tired out after a few repetitions, so I'm not sure what the best option is?

Oppenheim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nervyj View Post
    I'm 18, around 5'8" and only weigh 130lbs so I'm underweight, but I also have bad endurance/stamina, where should I begin to improve my health overall?

Would I be better to first work on improving my stamina by doing cardio and then work on lifting? with this I fear I'd lose more weight as I struggle to hit 2-3k calories a day as it is.

I started going to a weight lifting gym two weeks or so ago to try and bulk up, but I get tired out after a few repetitions, so I'm not sure what the best option is?
    There's no reason not to do cardio in conjunction with weight training. If you're getting tired after a few repetitions just reduce the weight. The first couple weeks should be focused on building a base and perfecting your technique. Only move up in weight once you're got the movement down pat. Keep up the caloric surplus, make sure you're getting your protein (1g per pound of bodyweight) and you'll be a beast in no time.

Originally Posted by Oppenheim View Post
    There's no reason not to do cardio in conjunction with weight training. If you're getting tired after a few repetitions just reduce the weight. The first couple weeks should be focused on building a base and perfecting your technique. Only move up in weight once you're got the movement down pat. Keep up the caloric surplus, make sure you're getting your protein (1g per pound of bodyweight) and you'll be a beast in no time.
    Thanks for the reply, but wouldn't doing cardio and weight training in conjunction burn loads of calories and make me lose weight? unless I eat like 3k+ calories a day which I find near on impossible at the moment.

Thanks for the reply, but wouldn't doing cardio and weight training in conjunction burn loads of calories and make me lose weight? unless I eat like 3k+ calories a day which I find near on impossible at the moment.
    If you have trouble consuming calories you just need to find new ways to inject them into your diet.
    For example:

2 tbsp peanut butter
    2 scoops whey protein
    1 cup of fruit
    2 cups of milk
    1 tbsp of olive oil (if you can stand the taste)

~450 calorie smoothie

Just get into the habit of regularly eating calorie dense foods.

If you have trouble consuming calories you just need to find new ways to inject them into your diet.
    For example:

2 tbsp peanut butter
    2 scoops whey protein
    1 cup of fruit
    2 cups of milk
    1 tbsp of olive oil (if you can stand the taste)

~450 calorie smoothie

Just get into the habit of regularly eating calorie dense foods.
    I'll give it a try! Would you suggest cardio and weight training on the same day, or switch between days or what? I think 1 day cardio, 1 day lifting sounds about right?

I'll give it a try! Would you suggest cardio and weight training on the same day, or switch between days or what? I think 1 day cardio, 1 day lifting sounds about right?
    That sounds fine, but don't go too crazy on your cardio days because that might interrupt muscle recovery and growth.

That sounds fine, but don't go too crazy on your cardio days because that might interrupt muscle recovery and growth.
    Thanks again, will post progress down the line.