Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10)

In need of a good Muscle Building Fat Burning Routine

Hi there everyone!

Over the past year and a half I have lost about 45 lbs. I used to weigh in at around 237-245 lbs, I was approximately 5'8-5'10 and 15 years old. I am now 17 and weight in at about 188 lbs, I am 6'2. I am getting pretty slender, not stick thin or anything but definately not 'big'. And I feel that now would be the best time to burn off the rest of my fat and well 'change' it into muscle . I don't know if I want to be thick, but I do want to be defined. As in I want to have good sized muscles etc. but I don't want to get 'huge' in the mean time. (at least not right now).

I've recently had the flu and have just gotten 'well' within the past few days, and I thought to myself what better time than now to start an awesome new routine??

I eat very healthy (in my opinion) and to be honest I like it. I try to eat about 4 meals per day which consists of:

Breakfast:
    Oatmeal w/ Almond Milk
    Banana

Lunch:
    Chicken / Turkey
    Vegetables / Rice (brown)
    Fruit

Pre/Post Workout:
    Fruit / Protein

Dinner:
    Chicken / Fish
    Fruit

As you can see I am generally heading in the right path all I need is a little guidance . Can anyone help or send me in the right direction? thanks a bunch!

Sincerely,
    Josh

videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) videophile88 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I personally believe you can't effectively (key word) burn fat and build muscle at the same time. If your trying to put on muscle mass and get "ripped" you first need to build muscle. This involves a lot of eating to replenish your muscles and allow them to grow. That also means gaining a little fat. You should stick with lean proteins like chicken fish beans etc. and plenty of complex carbs from rice or pasta etc. Once you go through the bulking phase and you feel like you've gained enough muscle, then you can lose the fat on top of that muscle. This obviously involves cardio and cutting your calories. I would then start changing up your routine to include cardio and super sets etc.

I would also increase to 5 - 6 smaller meals a day to really send your metabolism into overdrive. Every meal should contain protein and complex carbs. Also cycle your calories to help lose fat as well. This means one weak you may consume 2000 calories a day, then the next week drop down to 1600 calories then back up the next week and so on.
    Last edited by videophile88; 09-25-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Joshsplosh View Post
    I don't want to get 'huge' in the mean time. (at least not right now).
    Don't worry, you can't get huge in the meantime. It takes years of hard work and dedication.

Try All Pro's beginner routine, and do everything you can to try to get huge.
    My Journal (RIP 05/11 - 09/13):
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134256491

DIY Plyo Boxes:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151765733

someonenew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi there everyone!

Over the past year and a half I have lost about 45 lbs. I used to weigh in at around 237-245 lbs, I was approximately 5'8-5'10 and 15 years old. I am now 17 and weight in at about 188 lbs, I am 6'2. I am getting pretty slender, not stick thin or anything but definately not 'big'. And I feel that now would be the best time to burn off the rest of my fat and well 'change' it into muscle . I don't know if I want to be thick, but I do want to be defined. As in I want to have good sized muscles etc. but I don't want to get 'huge' in the mean time. (at least not right now).

I've recently had the flu and have just gotten 'well' within the past few days, and I thought to myself what better time than now to start an awesome new routine??

I eat very healthy (in my opinion) and to be honest I like it. I try to eat about 4 meals per day which consists of:

Breakfast:
    Oatmeal w/ Almond Milk
    Banana

Lunch:
    Chicken / Turkey
    Fruit

Pre/Post Workout:
    Fruit / Protein

Dinner:
    Chicken / Fish
    Fruit

As you can see I am generally heading in the right path all I need is a little guidance . Can anyone help or send me in the right direction? thanks a bunch!

Sincerely,
    Josh
    Im pretty much trying to do the same. My main goal is to gain about 10lbs and get really defined muscles. For me i just eat whenever i feel hungry or when convienient, but i do count my calories and im trying to cycle them according to the zig zag diet. All i can say is after adding protein shakes to my diet and pushing myself at the gym, i feel alot better

Anyways I'm trying right now moderate weightlifting at the gym, with the insanity program afterwards. Also going to throw in a ab routine of my own do to every other day alternating with 30 mins of yoga. Sunday will be my only off day with an hour of yoga or stretching whatever i feel like at the time. After i finish the insanity program gonna start training for a 10k, so got alot on my plate, but hopefully everything will work out.

Well good luck to you, and if I find that what im doing works, i will be sure to let you know!

Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10) Joshsplosh is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thanks for the feedback guys! really interesting stuff being said, still looking for more feedback

workoutbro has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Josh,
    Nice meal plan. Be sure to take in lots of water and a multivitamin to get optimal results.
    I also heard that eating fruit before a meal is better than before, but that's not confirmed.

before a meal is better than before? not sure if I know which way thats supposed to go man.

Anyway thanks for the continued feedback everyone! I really appreciate it

tunaHELPER69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tunaHELPER69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tunaHELPER69 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Carbs look good in diet.
    You look a little short on the protein though. Also, I know this is mostly bro-science, but I have seen better gains with muscle when incorporating lean beef into my diet, as oppose to just chicken. I think more % of the protein in beef gets absorbed than chicken/turkey (don't quote me on this, but beef is about 69%?). I would throw some casein protein before bed, and more dairy based proteins throughout the day. Especially in the morning. Greek yogurt can serve you well with this. Or milk.

30% of the calories in protein will get burned off in the digestion process because it is so difficult to to break down. So a 1000 calorie steak, ends up being 700 calories when it actually makes it into your system.

Also, take a Tblspoon of olive oil a day. Healthy fats are win. Your meals look like bird food, which is great, if you want to look like a bird :P. Bro-tip on this: hold your nose, and have water next to you. Sh*t will probably make you gag.

Your diet looks great for someone @ age 30, but your 17. Eat more beef. Drink more milk. Live a little, lol.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Makes absolutely no difference when you decide to eat your fruit

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Your diet looks like my little sister's when she wants her anorexic look back. You will not gain muscle on such a low fat (where is your saturated fat and EFAs?) diet. You did not even include macros... how are you going to recomp without knowing exactally what you eat on a daily basis in terms of macros and calories?

Recomping (gaining muscle while losing fat) is difficult enough, and will be nigh impossible with your current food selections.

To one of your other questions, meal timing is fairly irrelevant. What you eat is far more critical than when you eat it.

Originally Posted by JasonDB View Post
    Your diet looks like my little sister's when she wants her anorexic look back. You will not gain muscle on such a low fat (where is your saturated fat and EFAs?) diet. You did not even include macros... how are you going to recomp without knowing exactally what you eat on a daily basis in terms of macros and calories?

Recomping (gaining muscle while losing fat) is difficult enough, and will be nigh impossible with your current food selections.

To one of your other questions, meal timing is fairly irrelevant. What you eat is far more critical than when you eat it.
    okay good to know, so what types of things specifically should I include into my diet? I am rather "new" to this so I appreciate all of the feedback. I guess I could eat more things like avacados etc... and to address tuna guy, I am lactose-intolerant (last time I checked) so I tend to drink almond milk instead of regular milk.

Like I said i'm just getting back into it so I really appreciate all of the comments

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Makes absolutely no difference when you decide to eat your fruit
    Actually, I found an interesting publication "the results suggest that delaying the ingestion of a carbohydrate supplement post-exercise will result in a reduced rate of muscle glycogen storage."

This may actually prove to be beneficial if you are on a low carb diet, as this would induce ketosis quicker. Though this is only helpful if your diet is in check.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/64/4/1480.short

OP At this point, it may be more beneficial to start doing a slow bulk on a strength gaining program. The comment about "gaining too much muscle" is borderline retarded. Once you have some significant muscle, your cut will be easier and the reward will be a muscular figure, not a sack of flesh.

Awesome progress though so far. Congrats.

acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) acrawlingchaos has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    okay good to know, so what types of things specifically should I include into my diet? I am rather "new" to this so I appreciate all of the feedback. I guess I could eat more things like avacados etc... and to address tuna guy, I am lactose-intolerant (last time I checked) so I tend to drink almond milk instead of regular milk.

Like I said i'm just getting back into it so I really appreciate all of the comments
    It isn't about what specifically you eat. There is no food that in and of itself bad. Watch your intake and minimize foods that hinder your goal.

yeah i'm getting that feel, I think I will just bulk whilst doing a bit of cardio etc.. and then going in for the cut

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by acrawlingchaos View Post
    Actually, I found an interesting publication "the results suggest that delaying the ingestion of a carbohydrate supplement post-exercise will result in a reduced rate of muscle glycogen storage."

This may actually prove to be beneficial if you are on a low carb diet, as this would induce ketosis quicker. Though this is only helpful if your diet is in check.

http://jap.physiology.org/content/64/4/1480.short
    Much as a I'd like to poke a hole in the "meal timing is irrelevant" parrots over at the nutrition forum, I suspect that this study is already known about since it's from 1988. It doesn't say but it is probably done using a fasted protocol which is great if you are an IFer but as Aragon points out in his sticky thread - most people are in the post prandial state most of the day which is why meal timing is, ultimately, not important.

By the way, I always eat a large carb rich meal post workout as directed by Berkhan...

Much as a I'd like to poke a hole in the "meal timing is irrelevant" parrots over at the nutrition forum, I suspect that this study is already known about since it's from 1988. It doesn't say but it is probably done using a fasted protocol which is great if you are an IFer but as Aragon points out in his sticky thread - most people are in the post prandial state most of the day which is why meal timing is, ultimately, not important.

By the way, I always eat a large carb rich meal post workout as directed by Berkhan...
    Anything is irrelevant if you apply enough restrictions to it. So meal timing is irrelevant if you don't follow an IF or Ketogenic diet, which just happen to be two of the most popular forms of cutting diets. Most people are in the post prandial stage because the nutrition industry has beat into everyone's head that eating 6-8 meals a day is optimal for losing fat.

The point was, if your "your diet is in check" (IF or Low Carb) I would imagine you could take serious advantage of the reduced glycogen uptake.

IF and keto might be growing in popularity but I think the majority of people still eat breakfast or at least sometime before training.

I am not sure why you think that restricting glycogen uptake to the muscles is a good thing?? I would be trying to encourage it, even if cutting.

IF and keto might be growing in popularity but I think the majority of people still eat breakfast or at least sometime before training.

I am not sure why you think that restricting glycogen uptake to the muscles is a good thing?? I would be trying to encourage it, even if cutting.
    As you know, the purpose of inducing ketosis is to induce beta oxidation. You burn significantly more fat while in a glycogen deprived state. The only time glycogen is really relevant is during anaerobic activity. This would lead me to believe that carb intake (again, on an IF / Keto diet) approximately 2 hours before exercise would insure adequate energy levels during an anaerobic workout.

Adequate protein intake before during and after workout would also inhibit muscle catabolism, as gluconogenesis would create enough glucose to support brain function. There is no need for glycogen stores during LISS or everyday activities other than working out.

Furthermore, while I did find Alan Aragons articles interesting. I find some of his methodologies lacking.

http://www.alanaragon.com/an-objecti...t-fasting.html

1. He cites one source (Stote) as having poor methodology when Stotes ideas do NOT support his thinking, yet cites him as a credible source when Stotes ideas supports his own.

2. He admits that frequent meals have NO effect on body composition.

3. In all the studies he cites, it stands to reason that all participants have a typical "western" diet i.e. eat throughout the day. It would only stand to reason that major changes in diets would induce hunger. So stating that IF doesn't reduce hunger is a near sighted statement.

4. He slams IF, as being ineffective for weight training, though I doubt any advocates of IF would EVER suggest a fasted workout.

It's pretty easy to say something is ineffective, if you don't do it correctly
    Last edited by acrawlingchaos; 09-27-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Location: Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JasonDB has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think deitary carbs for weight training are over-rated, for some individuals at least. I never had issues training completely carb depleted while doing the anabolic diet on a bulk, and seeing solid strength gains without any pre or post workout carbs. It isn't as if you are burning through 200g of carbs during your weight lifting unless you are doing insanely high volume workouts. The energy needs can easily be provided through glycogenolysis of up to 42% of your protein calories and 10% of your fat calories (through gluconeogenesis via the phosphate shuttle... which does allow for glycogenolysis of glycerol).

willewonka87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willewonka87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willewonka87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willewonka87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willewonka87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willewonka87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willewonka87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willewonka87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willewonka87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willewonka87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) willewonka87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The old book i read went something like

7am 6eggs 1 yolk oatmeal grapefruit
    10am 6eggs 1 yolk oatmeal
    1pm white chicken breast, broccoli, yams
    4pm ground sirloin, green beans
    7pm salmon, green beans
    10pm tuna salad

the diet mainly got me cut but saw no significant muscle gains

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Furthermore, while I did find Alan Aragons articles interesting. I find some of his methodologies lacking.

http://www.alanaragon.com/an-objecti...t-fasting.html

1. He cites one source (Stote) as having poor methodology when Stotes ideas do NOT support his thinking, yet cites him as a credible source when Stotes ideas supports his own.
    Describe or link me to exactly where I have used Stote et al selectively to support differing opinions of mine without mentioning the study's limitations.
    2. He admits that frequent meals have NO effect on body composition.
    You have an interesting way of interpreting things as absolute. On the contrary, I'll quote myself in the article: "The majority of controlled intervention trials show no improvement in body composition with a higher meal frequency."
    3. In all the studies he cites, it stands to reason that all participants have a typical "western" diet i.e. eat throughout the day. It would only stand to reason that major changes in diets would induce hunger. So stating that IF doesn't reduce hunger is a near sighted statement.
    I hope you realize that I was interpreting the available research at the time, and indeed, my conclusion was accurate based on the existent evidence. Also, you're once again implying the absolute, when I clearly said this in the article: "For controlling appetite, the majority of research indicates the superiority of a higher meal frequency." <-- this indeed was the accurate state of the research on meal frequency & appetite in 2007. It's almost 5 years later now, and you need to get current in your reading. Here, I'll help: http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/cri...d-on-meal.html
    4. He slams IF, as being ineffective for weight training, though I doubt any advocates of IF would EVER suggest a fasted workout.

It's pretty easy to say something is ineffective, if you don't do it correctly
    You have misinterpreted the article & are adding your own assumptions to it. I criticized fasted resistance training in that article, I did not "slam IF" within the context of resistance training. Furthermore, you seem to be superimposing the leangains-style IF upon my critique of meal frequency, which I did not do in that article. Once again, everything I critiqeud in that article was the available research at the time. Make sure you read my previous link to get up-to-date.
    Last edited by alan aragon; 09-27-2011 at 11:20 AM.

I am not try to lay waste to your credibility. I was not the one to use YOUR name as a reference, without any citation. I am not as familiar with your work as others may be. Additionally, I found this article on your website. A quick look will show that the article I cited is the only one that clearly shows any sort of relevance to IF.

http://www.alanaragon.com/articles.html

To answer your question, about Stoles.

Stote's team compared 1 versus 3 meals per day [17]. Among other results, the 1-a-day group reported significantly higher levels of hunger and an increased desire to eat, with the severity of both phenomena increasing throughout the length of the trial. In a recent alternate-day fasting study [18], Heilbronn’s team concluded, “Overall, these results suggest that a prolonged schedule of fasting and feasting would be marred by aversive subjective states (eg, hunger and irritability), which would likely limit the ability of most individuals to sustain this eating pattern.”

This statement implies that you are using Stoles work to support negative side effects of IF.

A recent study led by Stote compared the effects of 1 meal with 3 meals per day, and was the first trial of its kind to control calories between randomly assigned groups [17]. Curiously, the 1-a-day group lost slightly more bodyweight and bodyfat, and gained a small amount of lean mass. Given those results, it's heralded in some fitness circles as the long-awaited shred of research supporting Ramadan-style (12-16 hour daily) fasting for achieving the Holy Grail of body re-composition.
    As always, things are never as simple as they seem once the details are exposed. A number of serious design flaws, including common ones such as a small sample size (15 participants completed the trial) and short duration (2 week lead-in, 6 week treatment periods) plague the quality of the conclusions.

This statement implies that you are criticizing Stoles work when it does NOT support your theory of IF

You cite this report when it fit your theory, and dismisses it for poor methodologies when it doesn't fit. Going through your references, I see only one for Stoles. This would indicate you support part of the study, but not the other. Poor methodology is poor methodology. Either the source is acceptable, or it is not.

Pardon my paraphrasing at point #2. That was irresponsible of me and I do apologize.

I am not familiar with the lean gains program (though I will familiarize myself with it now), so no, I am not superimposing any 3rd party idea to the article . My thoughts and opinions are based largely from independent research of Biochem and biology.

I was simply arguing the point that macro timing can play a huge role in IF and carb reduced diets, nothing more.
    Last edited by acrawlingchaos; 09-27-2011 at 12:05 PM.

On a side note. I realize that there are no absolutes. Exercise and nutrition are absolutely dependent upon many factors including goals and preferences of the individual. IF is not the end all be all answer, and is most likely counter productive or non-sustainable for some.

My opinion is always absolute, but changes with new information. In a forum setting we occasionally just answer a question because we believe what we say, and novices rarely care about in depth dissertations. They simply want an answer. Though I will always clearly state why I believe what I do in detail when asked.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    I am not try to lay waste to your credibility. I was not the one to use YOUR name as a reference, without any citation. I am not as familiar with your work as others may be. Additionally, I found this article on your website. A quick look will show that the article I cited is the only one that clearly shows any sort of relevance to IF.

http://www.alanaragon.com/articles.html

To answer your question, about Stoles.

Stote's team compared 1 versus 3 meals per day [17]. Among other results, the 1-a-day group reported significantly higher levels of hunger and an increased desire to eat, with the severity of both phenomena increasing throughout the length of the trial. In a recent alternate-day fasting study [18], Heilbronn’s team concluded, “Overall, these results suggest that a prolonged schedule of fasting and feasting would be marred by aversive subjective states (eg, hunger and irritability), which would likely limit the ability of most individuals to sustain this eating pattern.”

This statement implies that you are using Stoles work to support negative side effects of IF.
    You are jumping to your own conclusions once again. That statement clearly mentions the increase in hunger seen in the two studies cited. Nothing more, nothing less. My reporting of the results of those studies was accurate.
    A recent study led by Stote compared the effects of 1 meal with 3 meals per day, and was the first trial of its kind to control calories between randomly assigned groups [17]. Curiously, the 1-a-day group lost slightly more bodyweight and bodyfat, and gained a small amount of lean mass. Given those results, it's heralded in some fitness circles as the long-awaited shred of research supporting Ramadan-style (12-16 hour daily) fasting for achieving the Holy Grail of body re-composition.
    As always, things are never as simple as they seem once the details are exposed. A number of serious design flaws, including common ones such as a small sample size (15 participants completed the trial) and short duration (2 week lead-in, 6 week treatment periods) plague the quality of the conclusions.

This statement implies that you are criticizing Stoles work when it does NOT support your theory of IF
    I never stated my own personal "theory" (you mean hypothesis or speculation) about IF. I was merely pointing out the design limitations of Stote et al's work, which were definitely worth mentioning, since the study was considered a "break in the case" at the time it was published.
    You cite this report when it fit your theory, and dismisses it for poor methodologies when it doesn't fit. Going through your references, I see only one for Stoles. This would indicate you support part of the study, but not the other. Poor methodology is poor methodology. Either the source is acceptable, or it is not.
    You are completely incorrect about how to interpret or research. Everything has to be viewed on a relative basis of strengths & limitations - not a black & white/absolute thumbs up or thumbs down basis.
    Pardon my paraphrasing at point #2. That was irresponsible of me and I do apologize.
    That's fine but you still have more reading to do, and you have to do it more carefully before jumping to conclusions. You appear to be on a trampoline of sorts...
    I am not familiar with the lean gains program (though I will familiarize myself with it now), so no, I am not superimposing any 3rd party idea to the article . My thoughts and opinions are based largely from independent research of Biochem and biology.
    Again, I'd encourage you to read more carefully, because your claim that I selectively used a study to support or refute was way off, and you failed to substantiate that claim.

In this readers opinion...

The article you wrote cited sources that primarily indicated that while IF has benefits, there are far more negative side effects. Additionally, information about grazing patterns that you provided are presented in a way that suggested it's superiority. Any cited results indicating it's inferiority are quickly dismissed.

Convenience issues aside, for the purposes of controlling appetite, research indicates the superiority of a higher frequency over a lower one.

So much for the magic of stoking the metabolic furnace with an extreme grazing pattern. It bears mentioning that lower 24-hour insulin levels as well as lower fasting and total LDL-cholesterol levels have been observed with higher meal frequencies [5,6] However, in discovering this, studies have used unrealistic protocols for the higher frequency treatments, comparing 3 meals to 9 or 17 meals per day.

You "PRESENT" Stoles in a favorable light when his study indicates IF negatively, and "PRESENT" Stoles in a dismissive manner when the same study indicates a positive attribute of IF. This sort of presentation is obvious that the article is not objective, which was how you presented it as.

The tone and presentation of your article, as presented, would seem to heavily favor grazing over IF. The tone and presentation of the article does not present itself as unbiased.

I know that my research capabilities and retention capacity are just fine, thank you for the concern.

In this readers opinion...

The article you wrote cited sources that primarily indicated that while IF has benefits, there are far more negative side effects. Additionally, information about grazing patterns that you provided are presented in a way that suggested it's superiority. Any cited results indicating it's inferiority are quickly dismissed.

Convenience issues aside, for the purposes of controlling appetite, research indicates the superiority of a higher frequency over a lower one.

So much for the magic of stoking the metabolic furnace with an extreme grazing pattern. It bears mentioning that lower 24-hour insulin levels as well as lower fasting and total LDL-cholesterol levels have been observed with higher meal frequencies [5,6] However, in discovering this, studies have used unrealistic protocols for the higher frequency treatments, comparing 3 meals to 9 or 17 meals per day.

You "PRESENT" Stoles in a favorable light when his study indicates IF negatively, and "PRESENT" Stoles in a dismissive manner when the same study indicates a positive attribute of IF. This sort of presentation is obvious that the article is not objective, which was how you presented it as.

The tone and presentation of your article, as presented, would seem to heavily favor grazing over IF. The tone and presentation of the article does not present itself as unbiased.

I know that my research capabilities and retention capacity are just fine, thank you for the concern.
    What are you not understanding about my article's claim that based on the evidence at the time, lower meal frequency increased hunger compared to higher frequency in the majority of studies, but still does not lower metabolic rate compared to higher frequency? This claim is completely accurate as of 2007, when the article was written. You are being far too imaginative about your interpretation of my article. And on the contrary, I'm stating facts.

Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    What are you not understanding about my article's claim that based on the evidence at the time, lower meal frequency increased hunger compared to higher frequency in the majority of studies, but still does not lower metabolic rate compared to higher frequency? This claim is completely accurate as of 2007, when the article was written. You are being far too imaginative about your interpretation of my article. And on the contrary, I'm stating facts.
    As stated earlier. The prominence of the article on your site http://www.alanaragon.com/articles.html simply indicated to this reader that the opinion within was still a current opinion of yours. Without any other article discussing the topic (on your site), this was the resource I had available that demonstrated what you believed to be true (as current literature lead you to present the article as you did. I figured that your website would be a fair representation of your opinion. I don't believe this was a poor assumption.

So when your name was brought up, this was the source I used.

Rarely do I have the luxury of being able to converse with the author of the articles I critique. Now understand that the information prominently displayed on your website, is no longer an accurate representation of what you believe.

As stated earlier. The prominence of the article on your site http://www.alanaragon.com/articles.html simply indicated to this reader that the opinion within was still a current opinion of yours. Without any other article discussing the topic (on your site), this was the resource I had available that demonstrated what you believed to be true (as current literature lead you to present the article as you did. I figured that your website would be a fair representation of your opinion. I don't believe this was a poor assumption.
    ^See bold. I already linked you to my guest article on meal frequency @ Martin Berkhan's site, and this article is also linked on my site (as a matter of fact, right on the same article page).

You really do need to read things more carefully, and not just gloss over them hastily.

Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    ^See bold. I already linked you to my guest article on meal frequency @ Martin Berkhan's site, and this article is also linked on my site (as a matter of fact, right on the same article page).

You really do need to read things more carefully, and not just gloss over them hastily.
    Yes, I saw. I was telling you why I initially critiqued the article BEFORE your arrival to the thread.

Either way, it was insightful and I definitely plan to read the up to date material you provided.

Thank You.

Yes, I saw. I was telling you why I initially critiqued the article BEFORE your arrival to the thread.

Either way, it was insightful and I definitely plan to read the up to date material you provided.

Thank You.
    Okay, cool. My critique of the ISSN position stand on meal frequency indeed captures the current state of affairs. Perhaps what I'll do is switch the order of the articles on my site & put that one near the top so it doesn't get missed.
    Last edited by alan aragon; 09-27-2011 at 02:20 PM.