hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Daily Sugar Intake

Hey guys, first time poster, long time stalker.

I've recently been shedding a few KG's and I'm trying to cut out as much crap in my diet as possible and so far I've been doing really well. I just noticed however that the milk I have been drinking has a fair bit of sugar in it, 12.5 grams per 250ml. Now, I can't stand the taste of protein shakes with water, and I HAVE to have milk with my coffee (I don't put sugar in my coffee, just a bit of milk).

Now, all up that adds up to almost 40grams of sugar I'm taking in a day. This may sound ridiculous, but that sounds quite high to me?

Just a quick background of myself, I started @ 98kg's, and I'm down to 91kg's now. It's taken about 6 weeks to get where I am, and progress feels slightly slower now, which I was expecting. I'm 5'11, just shy of 6.

Any thoughts? I've searched for info on this but can't find any solid evidence.

winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50) winnicandle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hijackmatt View Post

I've recently been shedding a few KG's and I'm trying to cut out as much crap in my diet as possible and so far I've been doing really well. I just noticed however that the milk I have been drinking has a fair bit of sugar in it, 12.5 grams per 250ml. Now, I can't stand the taste of protein shakes with water, and I HAVE to have milk with my coffee (I don't put sugar in my coffee, just a bit of milk).

Now, all up that adds up to almost 40grams of sugar I'm taking in a day. This may sound ridiculous, but that sounds quite high to me?

Just a quick background of myself, I started @ 98kg's, and I'm down to 91kg's now. It's taken about 6 weeks to get where I am, and progress feels slightly slower now, which I was expecting. I'm 5'11, just shy of 6.

Don't be afraid of sugar unless you medically need to be.

40g a day is nothing, that's like one coke.

I don't really like sweets so eat a pretty low sugar diet, but there is no hard fast rule and your intake fits below what is even rec'd for type 2 diabetics.

Strive for a sustainable long term healthy diet, too many people who starve themselves of sugar go on a binge sooner or later.

hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10) hijackmatt is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by winnicandle View Post
    Don't be afraid of sugar unless you medically need to be.

40g a day is nothing, that's like one coke.

I don't really like sweets so eat a pretty low sugar diet, but there is no hard fast rule and your intake fits below what is even rec'd for type 2 diabetics.

Strive for a sustainable long term healthy diet, too many people who starve themselves of sugar go on a binge sooner or later.
    AWESOME.

Thanks for clearing that up!

I don't drink coke, I don't eat chips, I don't drink Iced coffee, I don't have soft drink at all really (except sugar free lemonade, love that ****).

Diet pretty much consists of oats, eggs, vegetables, protein shakes, tuna, lots of water, occasional muesli bar and when I'm feeling lazy/late for work I'll have an 'up n go' breakfast drink.

PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PR1MO has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    AWESOME.

Thanks for clearing that up!

I don't drink coke, I don't eat chips, I don't drink Iced coffee, I don't have soft drink at all really (except sugar free lemonade, love that ****).

Diet pretty much consists of oats, eggs, vegetables, protein shakes, tuna, lots of water, occasional muesli bar and when I'm feeling lazy/late for work I'll have an 'up n go' breakfast drink.
    If you are enjoying that food then cool, but you know you don't have to stick to "clean" food such as that right? Work out your calorie/macro targets (if you haven't already done so) and fill them with food you enjoy, it will make dieting easier and make you more likely to stick to it.

lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000)

Fuss not. 40g of sugar is actually quite low, especially since you don't bother to differentiate between naturally-occurring sugars like the lactose in milk and added sweeteners in processed foods.

There's really no consensus on how much sugar is good for you. Just aim to get your sugar from natural sources, not necessarily because that sugar is healthier but because it's more likely to come alongside other nutritional goodies like fiber, vitamins and protein.

Aro2220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aro2220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aro2220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aro2220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aro2220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aro2220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aro2220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aro2220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aro2220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aro2220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Aro2220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by lexinak View Post
    Fuss not. 40g of sugar is actually quite low, especially since you don't bother to differentiate between naturally-occurring sugars like the lactose in milk and added sweeteners in processed foods.

There's really no consensus on how much sugar is good for you. Just aim to get your sugar from natural sources, not necessarily because that sugar is healthier but because it's more likely to come alongside other nutritional goodies like fiber, vitamins and protein.
    Isn't it important to consider the glycemic index when consider sugars/carbs? The problem with high fructose sugars (like in coke) is that they have a very very high glycemic index meaning the food strongly affects blood sugar levels. I'm no expert, but the mechanism is something like...blood sugar too high = insulin release = removes sugar from blood = then you crash because now you have a low blood sugar level and you are too tired to work out, etc.

Foods like beans, whole oats and things like that have a very low glycemic index and so when you eat those foods, especially in the morning, you have a slow consistent release of energy over hours. Easier on the body, it functions more smoothly...you won't get sugar highs/crashes and lots of fatigue after you finish a meal (once insulin has been released to reduce blood sugar levels). Plus since you are not able to work out fast enough, most of those high index sugars end up getting tucked away as fat.

cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cumminslifter has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Aro2220 View Post
    Isn't it important to consider the glycemic index when consider sugars/carbs? The problem with high fructose sugars (like in coke) is that they have a very very high glycemic index meaning the food strongly affects blood sugar levels. I'm no expert, but the mechanism is something like...blood sugar too high = insulin release = removes sugar from blood = then you crash because now you have a low blood sugar level and you are too tired to work out, etc.

Foods like beans, whole oats and things like that have a very low glycemic index and so when you eat those foods, especially in the morning, you have a slow consistent release of energy over hours. Easier on the body, it functions more smoothly...you won't get sugar highs/crashes and lots of fatigue after you finish a meal (once insulin has been released to reduce blood sugar levels). Plus since you are not able to work out fast enough, most of those high index sugars end up getting tucked away as fat.
    2 year old thread. strong post count to join date ratio
    BA in Nutrition Science
    online coaching
    1836 meet total