Registered User sunnysunshineRM's Avatar
    sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

So...be brutal....how'd I do?

I decided to try and help my sister-in-law by designing a workout plan. I think I did a good job though I'm not sure what might be too much. I call her a newbie newbie. So I tried to make it mostly machines, cable and a little bit of dumbbells to ease her into lifting. I told her many reasons she should lift weights and made sure she understood that she should lift enough to go to failure every set.

This is what I been working on. From what I've seen and understood so far is that people usually exercise at least 3-4 exercise per group and that there are different exercise for different parts of that body group. So that's what I tried to do here. so um...did I do it right? Yes, I've read the basics and read everything but I wanted to see if I did it right. This is my first real shot of designing a workout program. My attempt is to ease her into the world of dumbbells and barbbells which is why you see machines and cables.

Day 1: Back Biceps Abs
    3 sets of 10-12 Dumbbell shrug (This exercises your traps in between your shoulders)
    3 sets of 10-12 hyperextension This exercises your lower back.)
    3 sets of 10-12 Seated Cable Rows (middle back)
    3 sets of 10-12 Wide-grip lat pulldown (this exercises your Lats
    3 sets of 20 Machine Preacher Curls
    3 sets of 20 Alternating Dumbbell Curls
    3 sets of 20 Standing Biceps Cable Curl
    3 sets to failure weighted sit ups

Day 2: Chest, Triceps Calves
    3 sets of 10-12 Cable Crossovers
    3 sets of 10-12 Machine Bench Press
    3 Sets of 10-12 Incline Dumbbell Flyes (first three exercises your chest)
    3 sets of 10-12 Dip machine
    3 sets of 10-12 Tricep cable pushdown-Rope attachment
    3 sets of 10-12 Seated dumbbell tricep press
    3 sets of 10-12 seated calf raises machine
    3 sets of 10-12 standing calf raise machine

Day 3: Legs, Shoulders Abs
    Superset
    ---Seated Hamstring Leg Curl 4 sets of 12-15 reps
    ---Leg Extension 4 sets of 12-15 reps
    4 sets of 12-15 Seated Leg Press
    4 sets of 12-15 Hack squat (if your gym has it if not do Squats with Dumbbells)
    4 sets of 12-15 DB Deadlift

Shoulders:
    3 sets of 10-12 Machine Shoulder Press
    3 sets of 10-12 Front DB Raises
    3 sets of 10-12 lateral DB Raises

Abs:
    3 sets to failure Weighted sit ups

Not sure about cardio except for 5-10 minute warm up. I gave her a 3 day workout because she works and sometimes gets called into work as a manager and I was trying to givve her a good beginning workout. She's trying to lose fat. She's about 5'3 and around 215 pounds.

Like I said I was trying to make sure she would work all parts of her muscles. Like the shoulders my understanding is that you want to work the back of your shoulders, the side and the front which is what I try to do.

Thanks for your help
    2 timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Honestly, direct her to Starting Strength, All Pros, or the New Rules of Lifting for Women.

The program you have here is not good.

tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    ^^^ 2nd that
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172554141

Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    3rd that. Go with a tried and true program. They're all good for teaching the basic core lifts before moving on to isolation work. Have to have solid ground first before you start building.

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yeah, proven program. You've got her doing 180 sets of curls in one day... eek.

Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000) Ashlei is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yep. Too much volume, too many isolation exercises, not enough compound movements.

sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sunnysunshineRM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Okay, thanks. I had a feeling it might be way too much for a beginner such as my sister in law. I thought of body by design book by Kris Gethi but I think that might be too much especially with his DTP (dramtic transformation principle) same with his 12 week transforming your body program. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/krisgethin44.htm

I think i'l lrecommend either the female bible, the NROL for women and starting strength....never seen or heard of this all pro thing though.
    Last edited by sunnysunshineRM; 09-12-2011 at 04:35 PM.
    2 timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

bigfeety has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigfeety has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigfeety has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigfeety has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigfeety has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigfeety has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigfeety has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bigfeety has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Too much

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A true weightlifting newbie should start with full body workouts in my opinion.
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sunnysunshineRM View Post
    Okay, thanks. I had a feeling it might be way too much for a beginner such as my sister in law. I thought of body by design book by Kris Gethi but I think that might be too much especially with his DTP (dramtic transformation principle) same with his 12 week transforming your body program. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/krisgethin44.htm

I think i'l lrecommend either the female bible, the NROL for women and starting strength....never seen or heard of this all pro thing though.

Its not that its "too much", the set up of it sucks. Machines are not a good way to start and the whole breakdown of each day is bad.

Also, you would probably benefit from one of the above mentioned programs yourself, alot of the things you say are not correct.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

Right now, I'm in the middle of Kris Gethin's hard core 12 week training program and I'm not going to quit when I've come this far. After the first transformation is complete I might take advantage of the anabolic state and do the starting strength program. And then do Kris's program a second time. This program is the best thing that had happened to me....besides a few other things. There are a number of reasons why I chosed Kris's program and one of the most important reasons was structure both in diet and workout plan.

On Tuesday, I sent my sister in law an e-mail so she's going to start the starting strength today.

Perhaps most of what I said was wrong. I"m still learning and also perhaps my words did not come out coreectly so that people understand them. In fact, something tells me people still don't understand what I'm trying to ask in regards to the leg press in another thread. It is a weakness I"m trying to do better in but it is osmething I struggle with partially because I am mostly deaf and don't hear what people say and how they say them.

grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grace_ou has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sunnysunshineRM View Post
    Right now, I'm in the middle of Kris Gethin's hard core 12 week training program and I'm not going to quit when I've come this far. After the first transformation is complete I might take advantage of the anabolic state and do the starting strength program. And then do Kris's program a second time. This program is the best thing that had happened to me....besides a few other things. There are a number of reasons why I chosed Kris's program and one of the most important reasons was structure both in diet and workout plan.

On Tuesday, I sent my sister in law an e-mail so she's going to start the starting strength today.

Perhaps most of what I said was wrong. I"m still learning and also perhaps my words did not come out coreectly so that people understand them. In fact, something tells me people still don't understand what I'm trying to ask in regards to the leg press in another thread. It is a weakness I"m trying to do better in but it is osmething I struggle with partially because I am mostly deaf and don't hear what people say and how they say them.
    http://stronglifts.com/madcow/table_...nts_thread.htm

Madcows.. has a great site for beginner through advance program. It also covers nutrition and all the basics of good program.

sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sy2502 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    Machines are not a good way to start
    Actually I have to disagree with you on this. For a beginner there's nothing wrong with machines, they are less intimidating, take care of form, and can do a generally decent job. I started with machines for the first 6 months or so and got excellent results. Once the person is comfortable with the whole weight lifting business, then they can ease into barbells and dumbbells. At least this is my personal experience.
    Follow my 2018 competition prep here:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175566421&p=1547462721#post1547462721

illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) illiniStrive has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by sy2502 View Post
    Actually I have to disagree with you on this. For a beginner there's nothing wrong with machines, they are less intimidating, take care of form, and can do a generally decent job. I started with machines for the first 6 months or so and got excellent results. Once the person is comfortable with the whole weight lifting business, then they can ease into barbells and dumbbells. At least this is my personal experience.
    I'll agree on the mental side of getting accustomed to the weight training atmosphere, but I don't see why a person can't start with barbells and dumbbells. Machines don't really help with form since the majority of them don't mimic natural movements anyway.

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sy2502 View Post
    Machines can actually INHIBIT form, they don't "take care" of form. One is lucky to fit a machine properly, and if you are NOT aware of what you are doing, you can get hurt (shoulder impingement, back issues and the like). There is no reason why a beginner CAN'T learn the proper fundamentals from the start. I don't have a problem with machines per se, I use them sometimes myself. But if I were advising someone, telling them to start with machines would not be my advice.
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.