Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Advice for those training for Tough Mudder, Warrior Dash, Spartan Race, Rebel Race

For those of you training for outdoor long-distance obstacle races, here are some pointers that I learned from doing Warrior Dash this weekend:

1) If it rains the day of the event, be prepared for an extra helping of difficulty and pain. The muddier the trails, the worse your traction is and the less likely you will be able to run for large sections of the course.

2) The best shoes you can get for these kind of races would be Vibrams (the kind with the individual toes). Reason being is that aside from being light, they are the least likely to get stuck in the mud. In areas with deep mud, the mud will often suck the shoes off peoples' feet. I saw over a hundred pairs of abandoned running shoes littering the course.

3) These races are NOT like running traditional cross-country races. Once your shoes and clothing get saturated with water and mud, its like running with ten-pound ankle weights on each foot and shorts made of lead. Also, once your shoes get caked in mud, all of the traction on the bottom is useless. Combine that with the wet, soft, uneven terrain and the risk of accidentally slipping for a fall or rolling an ankle outweigh the benefits of running for certain sections of the course.

4) Be prepared to overcome your fear if you have a fear of heights. The wall obstacles are pretty high up. There were quite a few guys there who froze at the top where you have to put one leg over. Take your time, get a secure grip, and don't look down.

5) Do NOT take any personal effects with you on the course. You will lose them. I had my car keys and my ID in a ziplock mini freezer bag in a button up pocket, but they still managed to float out during the obstacle where you have to cross the log-filled stream. Luckily somebody turned them in. But be sure to check all your stuff in at the check-in tent.

6) Many people experienced upper body fatigue after the later obstacles. This is because many runners don't train to develop slow twitch muscle fiber in their upper body in the same way that they train to develop it in their lower body. Incorporate a good deal of endurance training for your arms, shoulders, and back in addition to your legs.

7) If your shoes get stuck in the mud, don't pull your feet directly up. Lean forward on your front foot and pull the stuck foot forward while bending your toes up. If you foot slides part way out, stop and get your foot back in it before trying to pull out any further.

8) The motion that you use on the muddy parts of the track works your hips more than it does your legs or glutes. Make sure to do lots of hanging knees raises, hip abductor machine, etc. A day after the race, my legs aren't sore at all. Its all in my hips.

9) Don't count on there being a public shower or a changing area. We washed off in a lake, which doesn't get you as clean as a shower. Also, unless you plan to change and towel off in a port-o-potty, chances are you will be stripping down next to your car like most people. Bring a large garbage bag to put your muddy clothes and shoes in. Also bring a few towels and face cloths, because you will NOT get all the mud off in the lake, stream, or other body of water that will be available. Bring a change of clothes.

10) Bring an alternate outfit for the race. One for if its warm, one for if its cold. The forecast can often be wrong and if you're not prepared, you're screwed once you get there.

11) Official pictures are taken on the last few obstacles. You will not find the event photographers snapping pictures of you running through a field or doing any of the easy obstacles in the first part of the race. So take it easy and pace yourself in the beginning.

12) Keep moving. Don't stop unless you have to. Many of the people who stopped gave up or took forever to finish. You can drop down to a slow walk to catch your breath, but don't come to a complete stop.
    *1,000 Pound Club*

Bench Press: 281 lbs
    Back Squat: 361 lbs
    Deadlift: 400 lbs
    Total: 1,042 lbs

Other 1RMs:

Leg Press: 840 lbs
    Donkey Calf Raise: 780 lbs
    Ground Base Squat: 480 lbs
    Iso-Lateral Wide Chest: 427 lbs
    Glute Press: 407 lbs
    Iso-Lateral High Row: 387 lbs
    Leg Curl: 328 lbs
    Barbell Row: 270 lbs
    Hand Grip: 267 lbs

Completed the Two Hundred Squat Challenge on Tuesday, September 6, 2011.
    Survived Warrior Dash (Ohio II, 2011)

RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) RATTLER2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    when I did it I cruised on the run and saved my energy for the obstacles. next year, I am doing the opposite.

BlondeRod is a name known to all. (+5000) BlondeRod is a name known to all. (+5000) BlondeRod is a name known to all. (+5000) BlondeRod is a name known to all. (+5000) BlondeRod is a name known to all. (+5000) BlondeRod is a name known to all. (+5000) BlondeRod is a name known to all. (+5000) BlondeRod is a name known to all. (+5000) BlondeRod is a name known to all. (+5000) BlondeRod is a name known to all. (+5000) BlondeRod is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I just signed up for the Tough Mudder. My cardio blows though. Iv been mashing the Stair master, I feel that is just as beneficial as a treadmill
    **Arizona Masterrace**
    My name is Chad
    *GF crew*
    **GF has fake teds crew**
    Buy high sell low
    Fuk Recent PC ******* misc.
    5'11 175lbs

Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Doing Warrior Dash in April but I really wanna do Tough Mudder.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get back up."
    - Vince Lombardi

The highest compliment that you can pay me is to say that I work hard every day, that I never dog it."
    - Wayne Gretzky

PSN: tnerb_

Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm doing the Ruckus Run in Nov.... I was supposed to do the Warrior Dash in Aug but it got cancelled after +100 heat injuries and 2 deaths on the first day.
    Audentis Fortuna Iuvat

Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Godhand502 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BlondeRod View Post
    I just signed up for the Tough Mudder. My cardio blows though. Iv been mashing the Stair master, I feel that is just as beneficial as a treadmill
    Yes, the stairmaster is better than the treadmill for Tough Mudder training. When you hit the muddy areas, its more about pulling your feet up, almost like climbing steps. I would also recommend going out to a park and running on dirt nature trails, preferably with hills.
    *1,000 Pound Club*

Other 1RMs:

I have to make a correction to tip #2....

I think that the best shoes for these adventure races is either the Inov-8 Bareclaw or the Inov-8 Mudclaw (if you love your padding). I tried them on today and there is no way they are coming off your feet no matter how much mud clings to them. The traction on the bottom of the Bareclaw is far superior to that of the FiveFingers, but it still gives you some of the barefoot feel (just without individual toes).

Some other training exercises that I've added to my Tough Mudder training are as follows:
    1) Deadlift for endurance (sets of 20+ reps)
    2) Stairmaster with ankle weights
    3) Swimming with clothes and shoes on (the diving obstacle will make you do this and almost everybody says the dive itself is easy, but the swimming after you're already in is surprisingly difficult)
    4) I've started the Two Hundred Sit Up Challenge in order to build slow twitch muscle fiber in my core
    *1,000 Pound Club*

Other 1RMs:

Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quzah will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What type of workout is good for this, just wondering. Right now doing full body workout.
    - Vince Lombardi

The highest compliment that you can pay me is to say that I work hard every day, that I never dog it."
    - Wayne Gretzky

Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ive done all of the races mentioned. Get outside and run hills/mountains for distance, climb over stuff, swing, jump, crawl, carry things etc etc. Your better off training in similiar conditions outdoors than in the gym.

The tough mudder is 10-12 miles.....not your average walk in the park.
    SGT(P) , US Army Infantry 2007- Present
    OEF IX, X, and XI Veteran.

Bulking in Afghanistan!!

Originally Posted by Darren01 View Post
    Ive done all of the races mentioned. Get outside and run hills/mountains for distance, climb over stuff, swing, jump, crawl, carry things etc etc. Your better off training in similiar conditions outdoors than in the gym.

Baby steps...haha

I'm starting with the Warrior Dash. Right now 10-12 sounds like torture but Tough Mudder is next.
    - Vince Lombardi

- Wayne Gretzky

briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) briley87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Darren01 View Post

I totally agree. Not that this gentleman needs my .02 backing him up...

If there's anywhere around you that has mountain biking trails running on those is pretty useful...there are big logs to hurdle over, hills, mud, balance beams, etc.

PimpVIking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here are the basics for how I trained... (Keep in mind I was in no shape to complete it 6 months before)

1. Find the longest bigest tallest hill you can find and run up it, then back down it... crawl it... jump up it... just make this hill your friend... Get to know every rock, bump and whatever on it... and repeat
    2. Pushups. Pullups, Burpees, Airsquats, Lunges, and variations of the previously mentioned
    3. Eat whole foods... Don't try to lose too much weight

PS... DON'T WEAR VIBRAM FIVE FINGERS IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN WEARING THEM FOR A LEAST A FEW MONTHS OF TRAINING

Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Darren01 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by PimpVIking View Post
    PS... DON'T WEAR VIBRAM FIVE FINGERS IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN WEARING THEM FOR A LEAST A FEW MONTHS OF TRAINING

True this!!! I made the mistake of running a 5k in my vibrams 3 weeks after getting them. My calves literally felt like they were going to explode. I was SORE AS HELL for the next week, and had a hard time walking. Any minimalist type shoe needs to be properly "broken in" and not just put on and off to the races!

Bulking in Afghanistan!!

ablockparty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm interested in doing the late february tough mudder event. I am in fairly good shape now, i run about 3-5 miles a day plus strength and resistance training. I would obviously need to increase my training. I was just wondering if I have even time to get in the shape I need to finish the course without an extreme amount of difficulty. I am a female btw.

Originally Posted by ablockparty View Post
    I'm interested in doing the late february tough mudder event. I am in fairly good shape now, i run about 3-5 miles a day plus strength and resistance training. I would obviously need to increase my training. I was just wondering if I have even time to get in the shape I need to finish the course without an extreme amount of difficulty. I am a female btw.
    You have plenty of time....just get out and try to do things that are similar to the obstacles that are on the Tough Mudder course that you want to do.

Bulking in Afghanistan!!

restlium has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) restlium has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) restlium has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) restlium has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) restlium has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) restlium has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) restlium has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) restlium has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) restlium has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) restlium has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) restlium has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    just wondering.

ChristopherLB is just really nice. (+1000) ChristopherLB is just really nice. (+1000) ChristopherLB is just really nice. (+1000) ChristopherLB is just really nice. (+1000) ChristopherLB is just really nice. (+1000) ChristopherLB is just really nice. (+1000) ChristopherLB is just really nice. (+1000) ChristopherLB is just really nice. (+1000) ChristopherLB is just really nice. (+1000) ChristopherLB is just really nice. (+1000) ChristopherLB is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PimpVIking View Post
    Here are the basics for how I trained... (Keep in mind I was in no shape to complete it 6 months before)

1. Find the longest bigest tallest hill you can find and run up it, then back down it... crawl it... jump up it... just make this hill your friend... Get to know every rock, bump and whatever on it... and repeat
    2. Pushups. Pullups, Burpees, Airsquats, Lunges, and variations of the previously mentioned
    3. Eat whole foods... Don't try to lose too much weight

I just finished the TM in central texas this past saturday. All i could think about was this one rule. Definitly making the largest incline in town my B***h next time around for training. I Couldnt lift my legs for the life of me after the ups and downs. Im about to sign up for another!

Stubbs928 is a name known to all. (+5000) Stubbs928 is a name known to all. (+5000) Stubbs928 is a name known to all. (+5000) Stubbs928 is a name known to all. (+5000) Stubbs928 is a name known to all. (+5000) Stubbs928 is a name known to all. (+5000) Stubbs928 is a name known to all. (+5000) Stubbs928 is a name known to all. (+5000) Stubbs928 is a name known to all. (+5000) Stubbs928 is a name known to all. (+5000) Stubbs928 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Since we are on the discussion of what we events we are doing...whos doing Rugged Maniac in phoenix in nov? Im doing that and spartan race in phoenix next feb.
    355lb Squat
    230lb Paused Bench
    480lb Deadlift
    www.********.com/TheHorseHeadCrew
    www.********.com/DanDanTheFireman928
    www.YouTube.com/Stubbs928
    **Misc Horse Head Crew**

Shaun113 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shaun113 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shaun113 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shaun113 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shaun113 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shaun113 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shaun113 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shaun113 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shaun113 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shaun113 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shaun113 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Glad to see this. Definitely have wanted to run all these races eventually so I'm glad to see people with experience here. Has anyone made any sort of training log or anything? Would love to have an endurance/obstacle running crew on here to share info/training/etc with eachother. Any forums outside of BB.com dedicated to something like this?
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***
    Cigar brahs PM me your addy for cigar crew rolodex for bombs.

Location: London, State / Province, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    AmadeusArkham is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmadeusArkham is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmadeusArkham is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmadeusArkham is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmadeusArkham is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmadeusArkham is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmadeusArkham is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmadeusArkham is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmadeusArkham is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmadeusArkham is on a distinguished road. (+10) AmadeusArkham is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've agreed with a friend to do a Tough Mudder event next summer, so I have something to be working towards. The help given above is much appreciated (and any further advice on training/work-outs would, too, be awesome)

hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Training for any obstacle course race should include aspects of strength training, cardio, and race specific skills. If you have a solid base of "fitness" (strength and cardio) work on building leg and posterior strength with deadlift, squat, thrusters, cleans and front squats.

For cardio, try some stready state cardio efforts up to 5 miles, but focus on high intensity efforts: sprints, track workouts, tabata, hills, and stadium stairs.

Event specific training should include grip strength, rope climbs, monkey bars/pull ups, and weighted or resisted runs, rucks, or sprints.

To check out some free workouts or if you need other tips on training for obstacle course races email me at joe@hybridathlete.org

hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hybridathlete has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For those looking for additional training tips or a comprehensive training program designed specifically for obstacle and adventure athletes/races check out Race Day Domination.

ESP365 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Training Program for 5K-10K Obstacle Races

Here is a great workout program for anyone training for a 5K-10K Obstacle Race. This program was designed by a UFC and Olympic Strength and Conditioning Coach, who trains some of the top athletes in the world. Feel free to share it with friends!
    Attached Files

Imoorehe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I was spiderwoman!

I did tough mudder last year and had a blast. My advice is to go out and enjoy yourself. Don't take it too seriously. Talk to the people around yiu because even though one part isn't hard for you, it may be for them. Everyone needs some encouragement on that course at some point. Everyone helps everyone. I wore a spiderman body suit and was refered to as spiderwoman the whole time. It made a lot of people laugh and a lot of the time watching all the funny costumes running around is what makes what seems impossible possible.

I fell off a 12ft wall and landed dead on my hip hitting my head on the ground. so many people stopped and walked with me for a little while to make sure everything was alright. Everyone on the course is your team, not just the people you came with.

Hell if a 130lbs girl could run around jumping off of things in a spidermans out doesn't make you smile ur just lame!

Founder - TripFitness.com zachs's Avatar
    zachs is on a distinguished road. (+10) zachs is on a distinguished road. (+10) zachs is on a distinguished road. (+10) zachs is on a distinguished road. (+10) zachs is on a distinguished road. (+10) zachs is on a distinguished road. (+10) zachs is on a distinguished road. (+10) zachs is on a distinguished road. (+10) zachs is on a distinguished road. (+10) zachs is on a distinguished road. (+10) zachs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here's my take on my first Spartan Race.

http://www.tripfitness.com/beginners...n-race-sprint/
    Founder of www.TripFitness.com
    "Helping busy people meet their weight loss and fitness goals while away from home."

Traveling salesman, turned fitness enthusiast.
    12 years of exercise experience.

My Body Transformation: (Lost over 30 lbs) 226lbs on 8/13/12 *Currently 191.8 lbs*

Blog - http://www.tripfitness.com
    ******** - www.********.com/TripFitness
    Twitter - www.twitter.com/Trip_Fitness

Djpatton09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djpatton09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djpatton09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djpatton09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djpatton09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djpatton09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djpatton09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djpatton09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djpatton09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djpatton09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Djpatton09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BlondeRod View Post
    I disagree, but I feel like jogging on the streets is better than both either way