jimmymsu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cutting while retaining muscle mass

Hey guys I've been bulking up for a few months now, Ive gained about 25 pounds with protein and mass gainer and I want to cut all my fat and be shredded again... I assume I'll stop taking my mass gainer, but whats the best way to lose the fat while retaining as much muscle as possible? I already eat 5-6 times a day with a high metabolism, but should I continue taking whey protein? Do I cut out as much carbs as I can or try to keep them? Also, when should I do cardio, before or after my workouts, or at different times of the day? Thanks for the help.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    What's your current body weight and your body fat % ?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    What's your current body weight and your body fat % ?
    180 pounds, and im not sure about body fat but I think below 20% at least... Still have some ab definition and veins in the arms and stuff.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by jimmymsu View Post
    180 pounds, and im not sure about body fat but I think below 20% at least... Still have some ab definition and veins in the arms and stuff.
    Good deal. Many of the posters asking about cuts in this forum haven't yet built enough muscle to have much to cut down to. If you have any ab definition at all, you're probably somewhere around 14-16%. That would have you needing to shed 10-12 pounds of fat, putting you at about 170 lean pounds at about 10%. And someone who's 170 @10% will look much bigger than 170.

This is a repost that I've run in this forum a few times before:

Basic Cut Plan

Eat far enough below your maintainance calorie level as to see about a pound a week drop in your bodyweight. This will be roughly 500 cals below maint.

Do only enough cardio to maintain your CV health; don't depend on it at this point to drop bodyfat; use calorie deficit to do that. Two, 20 minute sessions of LISS per week should be enough to keep things in good shape on the inside.

Cut your daily cals by cutting some carbs out of your meals. Keep your protein and fat intake intact. If you get excessively hungry during the day, snack on raw veggies; filling, with minimal calories.

By all means, continue to lift as heavy as you have been. To start lifting "light weigh for high reps" (or some other such broscience way to cut) will signal your body to burn unneeded muscle tissue, and this is especially true when on a calorie deficit. Same deal with excessive cardio; save adding-in cardio for the last few weeks of your cut, when fat loss from calorie reduction alone begins to stall out. Then would be the time to add in one or two more sessions of the cardio of your choice.

Above all, be patient, and take it slow; give things time to start working before you go overboard with calorie restriction, cardio, or anything else you think might "speed up" the process. Anything that does speed this up will very likely cost you some hard-earned muscle, and that's exactly what you don't want. In actuality, dropping fat isn't all that difficult; doing it while at the same time retaining as much muscle mass as possible is the kicker.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

roybatty6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) roybatty6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) roybatty6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) roybatty6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) roybatty6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) roybatty6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) roybatty6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) roybatty6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) roybatty6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) roybatty6 will become famous soon enough. (+50) roybatty6 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey guys I've been bulking up for a few months now, Ive gained about 25 pounds with protein and mass gainer and I want to cut all my fat and be shredded again... I assume I'll stop taking my mass gainer, but whats the best way to lose the fat while retaining as much muscle as possible? I already eat 5-6 times a day with a high metabolism, but should I continue taking whey protein? Do I cut out as much carbs as I can or try to keep them? Also, when should I do cardio, before or after my workouts, or at different times of the day? Thanks for the help.
    Eat -500 below maintenance per day
    Keep the protein intake up though
    Cardio in mornings/ Weights at night

That way you would of had 3-4 meals prior to the weight workout and more strength.
    -80 kgs in 15 months.
    -100 kgs goal (75kgs bodyweight)

Abs on a skinny guy is like a fatgirl with big tits, it doesn't count.

Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lackeos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Eat at a 500-calorie deficit, and if you aren't losing 1 pound per week, adjust calories accordingly. Keep protein intake high. Continue lifting heavy-ass weights.

Thanks a lot guys, I'm really happy I finally decided to do this.

Oh, btw should I cut out the weight gainer?

Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jeremy-D will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Oh, btw should I cut out the weight gainer?
    Really?

ha, sorry youre right