LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Shoulder pain after Bench Press?

Is this normal? I'm feeling it largely in my anterior deltoids. I just hope this is a normal thing because I don't want to damage my shoulders.

Just incase you wondering, I kept my feet fully planted on the floor, my back on the bench, I was also bringing my elbows close to my body to reduce the load on my shoulders.

Then again, thinking about it now, I also did Dumbbell shoulder presses so maybe that's caused this. just in case you may ask, I don't give a **** about the pain I just want to know if it's normal, 'tis all.
    *Aesthetic before 20 crew*

get shredded or die mirin, aesthetic dreams will be fulfilled.

~~RIP Zyzz, gone too soon, my motivation, forever 'mirin~~

DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ice it & see a physio.

LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LaOmerta is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DanMee View Post
    Ice it & see a physio.
    This part has me worried....so I'm not supposed to feel any pain in my shoulders after the exercise, even if it's just DOMS?

mileseperez is just really nice. (+1000) mileseperez is just really nice. (+1000) mileseperez is just really nice. (+1000) mileseperez is just really nice. (+1000) mileseperez is just really nice. (+1000) mileseperez is just really nice. (+1000) mileseperez is just really nice. (+1000) mileseperez is just really nice. (+1000) mileseperez is just really nice. (+1000) mileseperez is just really nice. (+1000) mileseperez is just really nice. (+1000)
    stop flat bench idiot stick with incline decline

DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50) DanMee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LaOmerta View Post
    This part has me worried....so I'm not supposed to feel any pain in my shoulders after the exercise, even if it's just DOMS?
    DOMS are fine. Pain other than DOMS are not. Dont work through it, it isnt worth it.

Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Where does the pain fall on the 1-10 pain scale?

Although obvious I'm going to say it anyways......Try having your grip about an inch or two closer together, see if that aleviates the pain. If still getting it try angle presses, dumbbells and other alternatives. At that point I'd see an orthopedic/sports medicine if it hasnt subsided. Dont go super heavy until you figure it out.

Sneds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sneds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sneds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sneds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sneds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sneds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sneds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Sneds has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    It could be you rotorcuff. Search youtube for some exercises to strengthen it, i get this a lot benching.

Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why you are experiencing pain in your shoulders:

1) Flat Bench Press uses a ton of Anterior Deltoids
    2) You probably have a very wide grip in general, or it is too wide for your body type
    3) The wider your grip is , the more shoulder use comes into play rather than Chest/Tricep
    4) Your form may possibly be bad, try doing it Powerlifter Style versus the typical Bodybuilding style. Bodybuilders are known for messing up their rotator cuffs, shoulders etc, because of how vulnerable they are with the form

How to fix it:
    1) Decline Bench will use less shoulder, and if you are trying to focus more on your Chest, try using that
    2) On the flat, use dumbbells more than Barbell
    3) Use Powerlifter form
    4) Do not go as wide, it will use more Chest & Triceps rather than shoulder
    5) Do not do Flat Bench unless you are trying to gain more strength on the movement. It is not even close to being the best "Chest" Developer.

Originally Posted by Fabs23 View Post
    Where does the pain fall on the 1-10 pain scale?

Although obvious I'm going to say it anyways......Try having your grip about an inch or two closer together, see if that aleviates the pain. If still getting it try angle presses, dumbbells and other alternatives. At that point I'd see an orthopedic/sports medicine if it hasnt subsided. Dont go super heavy until you figure it out.
    About a 5 I would say, it hurts and my arm movement is restricted but I think this could be DOMS though.

Oh yeah I already only do Dumbbells, I don't find barbells to work my chest at all, but I will try your suggestion on having a closer grip.

Here's a detail break down of how I perform each rep:

-I put the dumbbells on my knees while seated on the bench
    -I kick up the weights and lay back
    -Feet planted on the floor
    -Back on the bench
    -Weights held high, pushed close together such that they almost touch
    -I bring them down with my elbow bent closer to my body
    -Explode them up and then bring them together again and contract my chest

Rinse and repeat...I'm hoping and praying this is just DOMS, the pain only happens when I move my arms, that said I can still move my arms around my body, even behind me, luckily the pain isn't sharp and it also goes away when I stop moving my arms. This all good right?

Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ethan7X has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm pretty sure your shoulders and triceps are just sore. When I benched 225 for the first time after pyramiding up and having already benched 4x that week, my shoulders and arms hurt a lot for 2-3 days.

Regardless, I would just rest your Deltoids/Triceps/Chest for 2-3 days, then see if it's ok.

If you're going to do Barbell for 'chest' development, I highly suggest you don't even touch the Flat Barbell.

Stick with dumbbells for Flat.

Also, try the form I was telling you about,etc.

snowlav will become famous soon enough. (+50) snowlav will become famous soon enough. (+50) snowlav will become famous soon enough. (+50) snowlav will become famous soon enough. (+50) snowlav will become famous soon enough. (+50) snowlav will become famous soon enough. (+50) snowlav will become famous soon enough. (+50) snowlav will become famous soon enough. (+50) snowlav will become famous soon enough. (+50) snowlav will become famous soon enough. (+50) snowlav will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Maybe you could try a other exercise for a few weeks, like a decline/incline press.

And warm op your rotator cuff! Dorian Yates explains all about it in his 8week hardcore training video's.
    You might want to check that out.

If that's still not working, you might want to consider visiting a physio as mentioned before.

Still I think it should be less with a good warming up, especially for your rotator cuff.

Let me know if it's getting better, and what you did to get rid off it.

Good luck bro!

Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Fabs23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ethan7X View Post
    I'm pretty sure your shoulders and triceps are just sore. When I benched 225 for the first time after pyramiding up and having already benched 4x that week, my shoulders and arms hurt a lot for 2-3 days.

Regardless, I would just rest your Deltoids/Triceps/Chest for 2-3 days, then see if it's ok.

If you're going to do Barbell for 'chest' development, I highly suggest you don't even touch the Flat Barbell.

Stick with dumbbells for Flat.

Also, try the form I was telling you about,etc.
    You benched 4x in one week? Please tell me you meant 4 sets.

no, I bench 4x a week. it brought my bench from 185 to 225 in about 3 weeks. I can already put up 235 now too, lol.

Just so you know, Smolov Jr. has you bench 4x a week.

Sheiko CMS / MSIC cycles have you benching anywhere up to 8x a week.

Yes.. I said Benching 8x in a week.

Although those cycles are more for the advanced level, it's needless to make the point I'm trying to make about strength development.

Thank you all for your comments, suggestions and tips. I will definitely rest my arms for 2-3 days, I'm on a 3 day split anyway, so there's a few days before I get back to working my chest/shoulders again...

aberry9475 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aberry9475 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aberry9475 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aberry9475 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aberry9475 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aberry9475 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aberry9475 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aberry9475 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aberry9475 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aberry9475 will become famous soon enough. (+50) aberry9475 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Again, make sure you don't T your elbows since that takes pressure off the muscle and throws it right on the joint (not good).

As stated above, wider grips don't always help this. I've experienced grips that were simply too wide, and have end up getting joint pain in the shoulders after a heavy set like this. You don't have to go SUPER WIDE, just go sort of wide so the chest is getting a full flex and full stretch.

I wouldn't completely ditch the flat bench to go rely solely on the inclines and declines. Not going to get into a whole upper vs middle vs lower but the standard flat bench is a classic exercise and powerlift that has been used for decades for a reason.

Try lowering the weight next time and work your way up as you warm up. Do warm up sets and plenty of stretching to help loosen it up.

Originally Posted by aberry9475 View Post
    Again, make sure you don't T your elbows since that takes pressure off the muscle and throws it right on the joint (not good).

As stated above, wider grips don't always help this. I've experienced grips that were simply too wide, and have end up getting joint pain in the shoulders after a heavy set like this. You don't have to go SUPER WIDE, just go sort of wide so the chest is getting a full flex and full stretch.

I wouldn't completely ditch the flat bench to go rely solely on the inclines and declines. Not going to get into a whole upper vs middle vs lower but the standard flat bench is a classic exercise and powerlift that has been used for decades for a reason.

Try lowering the weight next time and work your way up as you warm up. Do warm up sets and plenty of stretching to help loosen it up.
    Thank you very much.

Just posting to say that my shoulder pain has completely gone away, thankfully it seems like it was just DOMS, thankfully this thread has taught me a few things, notably not to go to far with my wide grip. And also to try decline benching as that takes away strain from the shoulder muscles. can't wait till Chest/Shoulder/Tricep day to practice my new form.

cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Coming from someone who's has surgery on his shoulder,lost 40 pounds and has been out of the gym for 4 months. Stop working chest/shoulders,go to the doctor and take ur sig off
    ILS is a primal threat/mating display observed in the human male. The ILS display involves the male human holding out it’s arms away from it’s body at approximately a 20-40 degree angle and then walking with a slow deliberate gait inorder to look more imposing to other humans. The posture is used primarily as a form of non-verbal communication such as a mating display to attract or impress females or as a defense or dominance posture to appear larger to a threat or to intimidate rival males.

Originally Posted by cocoaustin View Post
    Coming from someone who's has surgery on his shoulder,lost 40 pounds and has been out of the gym for 4 months. Stop working chest/shoulders,go to the doctor and take ur sig off
    I would have, but the pain was just DOMS because it's gone now, thing is I only bench with dumbbells and I don't T my elbows on the negatives, I've learned now not to go super wide and to try more decline, so I should be fine but thanks for your words of wisdom (srs)

btw is your avi after you lost 40 lb and been out of the gym for 4 months or before? becuz if it is after you still look swole as fuark!

cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) cocoaustin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by LaOmerta View Post
    I would have, but the pain was just DOMS because it's gone now, thing is I only bench with dumbbells and I don't T my elbows on the negatives, I've learned now not to go super wide and to try more decline, so I should be fine but thanks for your words of wisdom (srs)

btw is your avi after you lost 40 lb and been out of the gym for 4 months or before? becuz if it is after you still look swole as fuark!
    no,it's a really old pic. But thanks though.

Trust me though you should really just take a week or 2 off and go to the doctor. 1 week is alot better than a few months+ 30 plus pounds lost.

If you are wondering how I look after the 40 pounds here you go haha.

ILS is a primal threat/mating display observed in the human male. The ILS display involves the male human holding out it’s arms away from it’s body at approximately a 20-40 degree angle and then walking with a slow deliberate gait inorder to look more imposing to other humans. The posture is used primarily as a form of non-verbal communication such as a mating display to attract or impress females or as a defense or dominance posture to appear larger to a threat or to intimidate rival males.

Originally Posted by cocoaustin View Post
    no,it's a really old pic. But thanks though.

Trust me though you should really just take a week or 2 off and go to the doctor. 1 week is alot better than a few months+ 30 plus pounds lost.

If you are wondering how I look after the 40 pounds here you go haha.

damn must suck losing that much muscle, but I'm certain you'll bounce back bigger than ever mate!

Yeah I might just follow your advice, no harm in seeing the doc to make sure everything is A okay.